Audio Technica LP120XBT-USB question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Baker, May 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Asked this over at another forum. Maybe I'll get some info from you fine folks. My wife is gifting me this turntable for Fathers Day. I am getting the Bluetooth version, which will be fun.
    As far as upgrades I know I will be replacing the mat, either with a old rubber mat or a DIY cork mat I have made.
    Has anyone here put a MC cartridge on this table. If so which one and what were the results?

Reason I ask is I have a Denon DL 301mkII that I want to install . However since I don't know the AT arm weight I am unsure if it's worth the attempt.My assumption is it will be the same weight as a Technics SL-1200. I have read about someone who put a Denon DL-110 on it, but didn't give any results. The DL-110 is a wee bit heavier, everything else looks close.
    I know I can get the SH stylus and may end up with that, but I am curious about putting a MC cartridge on this. If this is a bad idea I will get the SH stylus or the ML.
    Anyway thanks for looking. All replies are welcome.

Steve

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Your Denon MC cartridge has an output of 0.4 mV which is about 1/10 the output of the stock cartridge that comes with the A-T LP120. I don't think this will be adequate if you are using the turntable's onboard phono pre-amp (including Bluetooth). It will be fine if you use the turntable's phono level out and connect to an amplifier having a MC phono pre-amp. The Denon 110 has a higher output voltage and might just work though you'd need to turn up the volume on your amp.

If I were you, I'd get the VM95EN stylus and call it a day.

3. Steve Baker

I appreciate your response. I will be attaching the LP120 to my Tavish phono, and bypassing the onboard amp. I cannot find any information about the onboard phono amp to tell me if it is MC compliant. So I assume your answer is yes it will work as long as I use another phono amp.

I will try it before I spend money on a new stylus. If I do get a new stylus ,it will either be the ML or the SH. I will then put the DL-301 on my other table.

4. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Don’t have a 103II but the DL-110 sounds fine on this table. They are quite different carts though. My girlfriend owns an ATLP120x and I was using it for office duty for a few months and tried several combos. My conclusion is it behaves almost exactly like a Technics deck, and lacking a proper spec for the tonearm I’d continue to assume that.

IIRC AT sells a heavier counterweight that would accommodate heavier headshells which some prefer for the 103. My ultimates recommendation though is to just get the ML stylus, that will sound excellent and work as stock. I’d be hesitant to go LOMC with this deck, the platter and the plinth are pretty poorly isolated which is going to matter more with a cart like that.

rcsrich and Steve Baker like this.
  5. Steve Baker

Thanks for the input. I'm beginning to lean towards the ML, due to recommendations online. The Shibata maybe, but the Micro Line seems to be the one for all around listening. What sucks is I now have a great Denon cart going back to the bench. Oh well 1st world problem.

6. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I mean it can’t hurt to try the 301 II if you’re set up for LOMC, since you’ve already got it, might as well try it on a head-shell and see how you like it. Absolutely didn’t mean to say it was a no-go, in fact I’m sure it will sound fine and be an acceptable tonearm match. Just meant that this table is an entry level Hanpin design with poor isolation (although I think the arm and motor are quite decent) and no VTA adjustment so not really the end-all-be all platform for an expensive cart, but there’s certainly worse. I’m honestly a fan of using what you’ve got vs buying something new. Both the 95ML and the 301 should be a big step up from the included VM95E so maybe just start with comparing the two you have.

7. Steve Baker

Thanks. No I didn't take it that way at all. I do intend on giving it a try. Like you said I am already set up for the Denon. Currently it is on a Technics SLQ 303 table, that has seen better days. So except for alignment checks I should be good to go. Once I get the LP120xBT-USB in my hands I will report my findings. I just wanted to see if anyone here had tried a MC cart on the AT table.
    As you stated earlier the platter and the plinth are going to prove problematic. I assume since I will be moving from a cheap Technics table to the AT it would be an apples to apples transfer. I just wanted to verify it was do-able. Looks like I will be having some fun with this.
    Again I appreciate your answer and opinions.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  8. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Nothing should be stopping you. Maybe the compliance pairing isnt optimal but I doubt it will be an issue.
    I would recommend that ML stylus highly too.

9. Steve Baker

10. Steve Baker

Well I did it. It sounds great. I played 3 LP's of different types of music , and all 3 LP's sounded really good. As usual with this cart, the highs were sweet, the mids powerful and bass was clear and punchy. I will admit to not having pristine ears, and I used my Schitt Loki to help. Clearly this will work. Next step is to find the Bluetooth limitations.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    zombiemodernist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.