Audio Technica VM540ML. I love it!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kiko1974, Apr 12, 2018.

1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The compliance of each cartridge is very different. The way AT lists their specs is useless for compliance calculators. I measured the resonance using a test record.

The stereo separation on a 95ML is also better than spec - I measured mine at 27dB. The 540 may be able to achieve a better number still because it has a shield plate between the coils, and the generator is a 4 coil design instead of a 2 coil design.

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Except they do, and people often grossly overestimate their hearing ability. A simple test helps confirm or debunk what people "think" they hear.

3. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I will say the cantilever is noticeably bigger on the VM95 series which is not surprising for an entry level cart.

Heckto35 likes this.
  4. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I don't get the description about the 540 sounding bright. Now, the 440 sounded bright to me, similar to the Ortofon 2M Blue, but I haven't gotten that in the 540. I used to primarily use the Shure M97xe which has notoriously rolled off highs and a warm sound signature, and going from that to both the Ortofon and 440mlb, I definitely found them to sound bright, and ended up continuing my search. I settled on the 540 about a year ago, and am still quite happy with it. It has a much more neutral sound than either the 440 or Ortofon Blue in my system.

All of these comparisons were done with the Schiit Mani, but within the past year, I have moved to the Puffin. But the 540 is the only cart I've used with it thus far. Eventually, once the 540 is due for a new stylus, I plan on venturing into the MC realm, but I'm quite happy with the 540 for now. That ML stylus is the real deal too. Whichever cart you get, if it's got that ML needle, you can say bye to sibilance for good.

Heckto35 and Harrocks like this.
  5. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

No idea about the VM95SH, but the VM95ML sounds right here :)

WDeranged likes this.
  6. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

They did a fairly indepth comparison to the 440 with all of the nerd graphs and whatnot in this review, and according to the tests, the 540 is significantly less bright than the 440.

Audio-Technica VM540ML Phono Cartridge Review - HomeTheaterHifi.com

However, sound is such a subjective thing, and brightness vs warmth is very system dependent as well. I think system synergy plays a much bigger role than we think too. So, I never discount how someone describes the sound of a component in their system even if I have a different opinion. Fortunately for me, I have had an excellent experience with the 540 and haven't gotten that bright sound that some others have described.

Heckto35 likes this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yep, very familiar with that review. Also familiar with 440 loading to achieve a more even response.

I told those folks that they need to use a different test record for measuring stereo separation. They haven't measured any carts in awhile though.

8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It’s very frustrating that Japanese cartridge manufacturers use a 100 Hz compliance spec and not an actually useful measurement. Sure, I can measure resonance, but I have to buy and install the cartridge first... manufacturers could certainly make it easier to buy their cartridges by just giving relevant specs.

MusicNBeer and patient_ot like this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I would love for that to happen, but doubt it will. In the meantime, at least we have forums like this to share relevant info like resonance numbers.

MusicNBeer and Big Blue like this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It is, but it doesn't negatively affect tracking at all. I've used those thin tapered AT cantilevers as well. Slightly thicker cantilever with a stiffer suspension makes sense from a design perspective when you understand that the two series are meant for different types of tonearms mass wise.

Heckto35 and SNDVSN like this.
  11. Nifkin

Nifkin Member

Got one of these carts winging its way to me right now. I'll be using it with a 2016 Rega P3 and the MM phono stage in my Arcam amp, which is fixed at 47k ohms/100pf. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's using the Vm540ml on the P3 and a 100pf phono stage: does the combined load allow for a balanced sound? I'm guessing the combined load of TT+built in cables+phono stage would take the total to anything between 200 and 250pf.. Would this work well?

12. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Loving my VM540ML! My previous cart was the 440MLB so this looked like an obvious move.

[​IMG]

Heckto35, mackat, englishbob and 4 others like this.
  13. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

I just bought the VM540ML/H for my 1200MK5. Out of town though, excited to try it!

c-eling likes this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have a comment, and question or two. I do a lot of needle drops of higher end records many rare and many acquired used. When I have IGD that needs to be eliminated - when it’s been noticed during a previous play, I will for the digital transfer or capture I like to call it, use a brand new stylus, or very near new. And I will clean the record with a deep hand method, and rinse with running tap water and splash with distilled water. My thinking is that a previous play of this LP that did not track it perfectly has shaved off some small bits of vinyl which is left in the grooves and is now getting in the way of a perfect tracking and perfect play. These grooves must be cleaned out and rinsed with a powerful flow of water.

I use diluted Palmolive dish soap to clean. And a water rinse, and clean absorbent terry cloth towel to dry in direction of grooves. Pat dry labels before doing LP sides.

I’ve gotten good clean perfect tracking on previously impossible records with this method. But the more times this record has been played without getting the shaved bits of vinyl out of it, the more it becomes a lost cause.

I’ve gotten some very good tracking out of inner grooves that looked and sounded like last causes. Amazingly salvaging some worn vinyl sides. It’s the styrene 45s that I have not yet been able to bring back to life.

Mang likes this.
  15. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I just placed an order last night for a new VM95ML with the included headshell as it was on sale online at Electronics 4 Less in Canada with free shipping. I should get it within next week and will post my findings in the future.

patient_ot and sathvyre like this.
  16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well what was the sale price that you got I am curious?

I’m holding out fir the VM540ML. I’m also going from the 440ML series like many others.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  17. nosliw

Grand total, it's $298 CAD after tax with free shipping. Effectively, it was 13% off and Audio Technica cartridges are almost never on sale at least here in Canada.

18. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

The AT-VM95ML costs half the price and sounds much better on my setup, compared to the 440 and 540 cartridges (too bright for my taste)...and it is more easy to mount.

33na3rd and jupiterboy like this.
  19. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I was thinking of getting one of these but the Canada to USD price, even on sale, is higher than the MSRP USA price by $20. In other words, I can buy one from any US dealer for $199 whereas the sale price at this store converts to $220 US.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I was playing some old needle drops done years ago with the AT440ML carts. Harry Chapin - Heads and Tails. I notice such a nicely presented bass frequency response. The very slight upper boost simply opens up the ambiance a tad which is really effective on a track like Taxi. It’s the Elektra butterfly CBS SANTA Maria pressing. So nice!

Heckto35 likes this.
  21. Harrocks

Harrocks Well-Known Member

having trouble aligning mine with the two-point hif news record protractor - recommendations? (seems like a good copy of the cart.' - cantilever 'straight' - but while my other cart.'s seem to align ok, can't get this one too ... ).

22. nosliw

Last night, I got my brand new Audio Technica AT-VM95ML with the included headshell and got it setup on my JVC turntable. From the 10-15 minutes of using it, I'm quite impressed with how it sounded so far, especially on bass-heavy music like The Prodigy's Fat of the Land.

Whenever I have more free time, I'll pull a handful of vinyl records from my shelves and write down my observations and post it here.

33na3rd likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I just got mine in on tues. and have not had a chance to install it into a headshell and really listen / observe.

Tomorrow evening I’m going to do a ton of needle drops with it. Break it in with some older records of less importance and work my way up to some audiophile 1/2 speeds.

Maybe 20 LPs all recorded and ready for editing / CR processing after the fact. All 24/96kHz but of course.

I recently did the Nautilus pressings of “Minute by Minute” and “Time Lives a Hero” LPs with older 440MLa and a bit of a used stylus. Maybe I’ll redo these two and compare the drops against each other.

Such fun and exciting stuff huh. Lol

33na3rd and Chris Schoen like this.
  24. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

If you have access to a printer, use the free Conrad Hoffman generator to make a custom arc protractor for your arm and choice of alignment geometry, makes it much easier as it separates the overhang and offset adjustments. Many posts around here that go into detail, often with pictures ... just adjust overhang to follow the arc all the way across record, then adjust offset at one of the grids, and repeat as necessary to assure accuracy ...

[​IMG]

PooreBoy, Harrocks and IFP like this.
  25. Harrocks

Harrocks Well-Known Member

cheers Davey, will look into that.