Audio Technica VM540ML. I love it!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kiko1974, Apr 12, 2018.

1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Well, it is this way. I had a AE120e. Likely better than the AT-95e. The AT-120e was shrill sounding at some treble frequencies. The VM540ML has none of that, yet the treble is on the bright side.

DoF likes this.
  2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

AT95 doesn't have the best stereo separation, but not every system needs that.

3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

You can probably load it at 32 or 38K and have nice results.

4. DoF

DoF Less is more...

jupiterboy likes this.
  5. DoF

DoF Less is more...

6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I've not owned one. I've had a 150MLX and 440MLa. They are earlier versions of the 540ML with a similar stylus but different cantilevers. They are both very good and track wonderfully, but if you measure them they do have a high-frequency lift. If you math it out you'll find a slightly lower loading will tame that high frequency hump. The other part is that you need vanishingly low capacitance, which is really hard to get right.

The AT95 has a more mid-range centric sound, where the other have more high and low frequency extension. The compliance on the AT95 is also lower, and it has lower gain. These all combine to make a better match with my Rega arm. What I don't like about the AT95 is the channel imbalance and to some degree less separation. The AT150MLX had a mu metal shield between the magnets that helped. The 540 has something similar.

SONDEKNZ, Rad Dudeski and DoF like this.
  7. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Sorry for pestering with questions, but: 1) how those earlier versions of the 540ML compare to MP-110?, 2) what do you mean by "you need vanishingly low capacitance, which is really hard to get right"?, 3) will I get with 540ML better stereo, details, trebles, bass than MP-110, but more in the vein of AT95? Thank you!

8. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I've never owned the MP-110. I have too many old records and have too many issues with elliptical styli showing off distortion from previous play. Every set of wires that runs from you cart to the phono preamp adds capacitance and every phono preamp has capacitance. You have to add those together, and that's often 200 to 300 or more pF. This makes that high frequency emphasis even worse. You can google “loading plugs RCA” and see it is easy to add resistance (which counter-intuitively gives you lower loading numbers). Capacitance is simply additive, so taking it away or removing it is difficult. For example, I've cut my cables down to 1/3 the original length so they only add 33pF. My phono amp is modified to have a low setting on 67pF. That gets me to 100pF, which is pretty perfect for the AT carts.

Have a look at the Hargerman calc. It's a good introduction to loading and the results.

Hagerman Technology LLC: Cartridge Loading

It all seems a bit complicated but it's not so bad, and the results can be very helpful in getting you where you want to be.

SONDEKNZ likes this.
  9. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Thank you. I appreciate it:tiphat:.

jupiterboy likes this.
  10. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Hm, I'm torn between the vm540ml and the Denon DL110. I currently have the old AT440Mlb but noticed a constant frequency noise at around 24khz with it. Does the new Audiotechnica one have the same issue ? Havn't had this problem on any other cart.

Should I go with the Audiotechnica or the Denon DL110 ? I have a "Dual CS-750" belt driven turntable. I see the Denon is a Moving Coil cartdridge, isn't that generally better ? But will it correspond well with my ART DJ Pre II ?

I really loved the non-existant inner-groove distortion of the 440mlB, is the denon a similar or worse tracking cart ? Judging by some people it tracks noticeably worse.

Edit:
    The Denon specs list it's frequency response as "20Hz-45kHz". That seems insane to me ! Is that possible ?
    The Audiotechnica vm540ml is listed as "20Hz-27kHz" wich seems less of a bold statement to me.

Is the "vm540ml" as sensitive to capacitance as the 440mlB ?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Kiko1974 likes this.
  11. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I had the MP-110 and VM540ML. The MP-110 does nothing wrong, but is kind of dull sounding or perhaps stated as subdued sounding. I kept the VM540ML as it is much more dynamic sounding vs the MP-110..

Michael Schroeder and DoF like this.
  12. DoF

DoF Less is more...

yeah it's kinda just there

13. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Exactly.
    I wonder about the MP-200 performance. Like to try it, but at $360 and the MP-110 performance, it scares me away.

DoF likes this.
  14. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I can only speak of MP-110, but don't feel like buying another Nagaoka.

15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have owned both the Denon and AT carts. They both perform well. The major difference is (imo) that the Denon has wider sound stage and is more musical (for lack of a better term,)
    The AT is brighter and more detailed. If you feel your current system sounds "muddy" or "soft" playing vinyl, then I would go for the AT. If you want a broader, more laid back sound
    go for the Denon. You can't go wrong with either cart. The Denon works just fine going into a MM phono pre-amp also. Enjoy!

SONDEKNZ, MikeT. and c-eling like this.
  16. Kiko1974

Kiko1974 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had both a Denon DL-160 (now discontinued) and a Denon DL-110. I've had my AT VM540ML since March and I'm still in shock at how fine it sounds for the price. I loved the Denon DL-160, I thought the Denon DL-110 was fine, I think the AT VM540ML is outstanding, its level of detail is insane for the price and I find the soundstage of the AT VM540ML as wide or wider than either the Denon DL-160 or DL-110. If the the Denon DL-160 was reintroduced for the same price as the AT VM540ML and I had to change of cart I wouldn't buy it and get another (or a stylus replacement) AT VM540ML. And I'm talking about the Denon DL-160. The Denon DL-110 can't hold a candle against the AT VM540ML,it just sounds better for around the same price. And the Microline stylus on the AT VM540ML tracks much much better than the conical stylus on the Denon DL-110.
    In Spain we say about a product that has a great performance and a low or reasonable price that it's a "round product". The AT VM540ML is as round as it gets. It made me discover subtleties on my records that I hadn't heard before.

17. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

The Denon DL-110 phono cartridge uses a elliptical stylus, not a conical.

18. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Either way, the VM540ML is stunning!

Kiko1974 and Chris Schoen like this.
  19. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Alright, definitely planning to get a VM540ML as my next cart. Is there any difference to the discontinued AT440mlB besides the higher tracking force though ? I read they are pretty much identical.

20. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

I have the 150MLX stylus on an old 152MLP P-Mount cartridge and it sounds great! I've always stuck with Audio-Technica for carts. I also have the P-Mount version of the 155LC stylus (came with the 152 cart) and a 160ML. I wonder how the VM540ML stands against the ones I currently have? I really hate the thought of having to drop $300+ on a new 150 stylus here in the upcoming years (if I can still get one). I really like the 150MLX, it too has a great sound stage and its detail in sound shocked me (sibilance is eliminated for the most part). I got my 160 after my 150 and I'm saving it, it probably only has about an hour of use on it. I'll have to check out the 540 and see how thin the cantilever is and go from there. I had the 440MLA for a day and bent the cantilever while cleaning it :realmad:.

21. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The VM540 has flatter specs. I think it is a slight improvement over the 440. I'm running a VM540 currently, and really like it. Lots of detail, and tracks like a champ.

22. Kiko1974

Sorry, your right, I really meant elliptical. As I had both the Denon DL-160 and DL-110 I can tell you that the elliptical stylus on the DL-160 was better at tracking and with less inner groove distorsion than the elliptical used on the DL-110 that to my taste is just so so.

23. Kiko1974

I can't agree more, the AT VM540ML is a great engineered and made cartridge. It may not look like much but its beauty is inside and on its sound. No fancy looking but a real and serious Hi Fi performer with tons of detailed and highly musical and engaging sound at a bargain price.

24. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

I've got a 2016 Rega P3 that came with the factory installed Elys cartridge. Hated the Elys. Decent sound but really poor tracking capability. IGD galore. Just switched it out to the AT VM540ML. Dramatic difference....for the better. As others have mentioned the AT cartridge opens up the soundstage and it tracks like a beast. Looking forward to what the AT will sound like after the break in period.

25. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

….oh....another issue that I had with the Elys cartridge. It would produce a low level hum when the tonearm approached the center spindle. No hum with the AT.