Audio Technica VM540ML. I love it!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kiko1974, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I've tried to order applying this code.
    Not working.

Maybe I choosed wrong website, is this order system effective from Europe or Asia ?
    Perhaps someone could provide a link ?

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

It's just for the USA site (and customers). Do a search online to see if their are any EU codes available. If not, you may get a better deal elsewhere.

3. Pmds55889397

4. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I picked up a VM750SH today, due here this weekend, to serve as an alternate cart for my MP-500. I wanted something that could keep the hours off my MP-500 a bit, and I actually need another cart here to test something out. I have a 2nd arm for my Sol to mount it to so swapping carts in and out should be fairly quick given how that plays out on the Schiit table.

Looking forward to breaking it in. I expect it to be a bit warmer than the MP-500 but, frankly, the 500 is such a good all-rounder that I'm not actually 100% sure what I hope the SH gives me as an alternative. Guess we'll find out.

Angry_Panda likes this.
  5. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

waiting your comments ... :goodie:

toddrhodes likes this.
  6. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

Also looking forward to your thoughts (perhaps in a dedicated thread) - I've been eyeballing an MP-500 for a month or so as the latest candidate for my upgrade-itis (but maybe after getting another set of speakers, and a power amp to pair with my recapped PAS-2, and another Kallax or two, and a Sol to play with, and... I think I have a problem). There doesn't seem to be much I can find about direct comparison between the VM540/740 and the MP-500.

Jerry Snead and toddrhodes like this.
  7. toddrhodes

I will say this much so far - coming from an MP-200, I had fairly tempered expectations for the MP-500. And it has blown me away. So much so I almost bought the lightly used one from the Classifieds here yesterday just to have a backup. And that's where my itch to get something else comes in - the only knock on Nags is they just don't seem to last as long as other carts, or they certainly aren't advertised to do so. So, I want to dedicate it to my best pressings and such. Tonally and tracking-wise, it reminds me a bit of the Art9 though I feel like the MP-500 is better with surface noise and therefore, feels a little more detailed. I also think its topend is honestly brilliant - startlingly dynamic without sounding too hot.

So, all that to say - the SH has a steep hill to climb. And I do not expect it to equal the 500. My hope is that it offers a change of pace, a different, slightly darker and fatter presentation for some of the so-so metal and rock vinyl I have.

I'll be sure to post some thoughts once I get it broken in, either way!

Jbird and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  8. Sbcrue

Sbcrue Well-Known Member

So glad I decided to read (mostly) through this thread and make it to this. I've been considering a change to the MP-200. Just to kinda hear something different. I've been running the VM540 for about a year and love it. I have never had any of the Nagaoka carts. Would you mind a brief comment on what I can expect? I've read plenty on the MP-110 and decided that the MP-200 might be the better fit for me. I also looked at the MP-500 but thought it might be a better idea to go 200 for a first go round'. For reference/compatibility - system is Technics 1200GR>schiit mani>Freya+>vidar>JBL L82.

toddrhodes likes this.
  9. toddrhodes

Sure! And I've had a number of AT carts in the psat (AT150MLX, Art9, ClearAudio carts which are gussied up AT carts) so I have a fair recollection of what they are like. I was always very careful to use as little capacitance as I could with cabling and phono stage on the MLX, as well.

Also - don't want to throw this thread off-track, so if this should be moved out, mods, please feel free.

The MP-200 is just a great, all around cart. It tracks deceptively well for being an elliptical tip. I had the 150 body and stylus for a time, and it had some wear on it but it was still a very impressive cart for what it cost. I upgraded to the 200 stylus last winter and was very happy with it. Overall I would describe it as a balanced cart. It simply will not offend a single listener, in my opinion. It images pretty well for an elliptical, like I said it tracks really well for that shape, and I always felt it was a strong presentation in the bass and midbass department. So it's a bit warm and dark but it stays just on the right side of a "colored" presentation. I would consider something like a Dynavector to be colored, but for a purpose. Nagaoka just leans that way tonally, I think.

But, because of the way this hobby is, if you offend no one... you probably don't grab anyone by the balls and make them listen, either. That, to me, is where the 500 shines over the 200. It is a more convincing, more dynamic and dare I say aggressive presentation. Never over the top, but it definitely ups the ante in terms of speed, attack, length of decay, imaging and tracking. But it should - it's over double what a 200 costs.

And that's where I'm hoping the SH falls in - if it can essentially be a fit between the 200 and 500, that's what I'm looking for. A little darker, a little more relaxed. Not too much, and that's where finding the balance is going to be tough. Worst case? I don't find that with the SH and I go back to a 200 as my "all around cart" and save the 500 for those special records, pressings, and listening nights :D

Heckto35 and KaiFi like this.
  10. KaiFi

KaiFi Well-Known Member

I have an MP-200 and I'm interested in an upgrade (it's been my favorite cartridge so far and I'm not intending to get rid of it, but the 0.4x0.7 elliptical, while amazing for what it is, sometimes has trouble tracking my most difficult opera records). In general I've found Audio Technica to be a bit on the bright side, but the shibata tip is supposed to be warmer, so the VM750SH may be a good option.

Nagaoka MP is basically the opposite of Audio Technica VM. Audio Technica has changed the stylus while keeping the cantilever the same, while Nagaoka keeps the same stylus but changes the cantilever (until the MP-500 with the line contact stylus). It just goes to show that stylus isn't everything.

toddrhodes likes this.
  11. toddrhodes

In my time churning through carts, I can say that one common factor among the carts I love - is a boron cantilever. Wish the VM series offered a boron option, but I get it, that's not as practical now as it once was.

KaiFi likes this.
  12. Sbcrue

Sbcrue Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. The VM750SH option certainly is appealing to me as well. I'm probably going to go the Nagaoka route just so I can have a new experience of listening as the AT carts are the only ones I've ever had. The warm/dark is something I'd like to have for a little while I think. The VM540 as much as I like it does come through maybe a tad bit "bright" or is that just the fabulous amount of detail...although I don't have much direct experience to compare with something considered non-bright or "warm". I do listen to a fair amount of metal (Metallica, Motorhead, Iron Maiden) so your thoughts on the darker/fatter in reference to the 750SH are perhaps something I can get a taste of with the MP-200.

toddrhodes likes this.
  13. KaiFi

KaiFi Well-Known Member

I noticed the new OC9 series has boron cantilevers. The OC9XSH has a boron cantilever and shibata but it's $649 and an MC. Still, if I had the right preamp, that could be a good upgrade.

toddrhodes likes this.
  14. toddrhodes

Early impressions here, after about 5 hours of breaking it in. And I do believe it is continuing to change (and improve, I think?) and I think it'll continue to do so for another 25-30 based on my past history with AT carts of the "fine stylii" variety.

At first I really was not a fan. For one, it was a bit jarring to go from the MP-500 to the 750SH. They really are very different sides of the same coin.

The 500 could be accused of being bass-shy but I think it's a Goldilocks' just right situation. And what is there is the best MM cart bass I've heard so far.
    The SH is not as shy, and not as focused. Tweaks to VTA have not substantially changed this characteristic
    The 500 is refined, detailed, shimmery, and almost startling on tracks that allow it to be so
    The SH is more forward, a little condensed in overall breadth, yet images and vocals seem "bigger" than from the 500. Since the 500 seems to paint a more lifelike picture of the size of those sounds, I would say the SH is exaggerated in this regard
    The SH has a midrange lift or presence that the 500 does not. However, the 500 is my preference for horns/brass. But so far? The SH is pretty damn appealing on strings and electric guitars.
    SH is not as detailed - a bit more wall of sound versus the 500 picking out each instrument and space and exploding it in front of me.
    The 500 is far more friendly for surface noise and minor imperfections. The SH makes these things more apparent, despite not having as much upper end sparkle and presence. Odd but...

The SH is a hell of a lot of fun, so far, to just toss on a rock or metal album that wasn't produced with the utmost of care and let it just kick some fun tunes at you. It is not so forward as to be offputting - this is it's "just right" personality IMO. It presents the appropriate material with the appropriate amount of energy and gravitas, exaggerated as it may be (vis a vis the 500).

For examples? I did not appreciate the SH on my MFSL Genesis Trick of the Tail. But on ...And Justice for All? The SH kicked my ass for 45 minutes and nary a thought was had as to detail or surface noise or imaging. It just blasted the bajeezus out of some aggressive, ill-produced thrash metal.

So...? At this point, I'm inclined to keep the SH but the only reason I may not, is the magnifying glass on the imperfections of some of my records. This is an area where Nagaoka really seems to work well in my system. I'm in a small, quiet, intimate setting and this stuff pops out and sticks out like massive, bleeding sore thumbs. It's not nothing. But, if it rocks hard enough and has some life in it and will last a good long while? It will most likely be sticking around.

And yes - the more you are willing to dial it in via setup - azimuth, VTA, and offset angle - the better benefits you shall reap. Get it sitting proper in the groove, and it digs nice and deep.

Heckto35, Sbcrue and aphexacid like this.
  15. toddrhodes

Forgot to mention - I AM truly impressed that one can get this level of cartridge, that works on literally every inboard and outboard phono stage available, for $400. IMO that is quite an achievement.

16. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

everytime I listen to my vm540ml i keep thinking that the real upgrade is a MC cartridge

the OC9 at series ... or the Hana ...

i don't like the reduced lifespan of elliptical stylus, so for me the party begins with OC9xml or the Hana sh.

but, also i need to buy a sut ... why the vm540 is so good and so cheap? :D

17. Sbcrue

Sbcrue Well-Known Member

Thorough review! Thanks for posting.

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Supplier relationships and economies of scale are the reasons why AT is able to make high performance cartridges at very competitive prices. Many other companies have a tough time competing.

Heckto35 and Mike70 like this.
  19. toddrhodes

The 750SH is definitely continuing to change now around 10 hours. The bass is becoming a bit more solid and it's maybe a touch less forward? But again, it's never been too forward.

But, for sure - this is not a "bright" or "clinical" or "analytical" AT cart. It's a rocker for sure but it can be cranked pretty hard with no fatigue. I'm listening to my GNR Appetite 320 pressing right now which has a good amount of punchy kick drum bass on it and I would describe it as almost "dark" overall, tonally. Definitely not a hard edge on this cart when the material doesn't warrant it.

20. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

It seems with the carts I have had that the compliance changes a bit over the first so many hours.

toddrhodes likes this.
  21. toddrhodes

So yea, I'm really enjoying this thing. And it's interesting for me personally because of how well it compliments the 500 - the added warmth, bass punch and midrange lift just make it a very good cart for my personal tastes in listening to metal of its various subgenres like core, thrash, death metal and more mainstream stuff like Avenged and Metallica. This is all music that can sound just fine on better carts but first and foremost, I want to crank it and enjoy the tunes. The 750SH does just that. It's just fun.

But for albums that really don't need more bass or that I really want the "straight dope" as it were, the 500 gives me that different insight.

Couple all that with the ease of swapping arms on Sol and I fully intend to keep both the 750 and the MP-500, and deploy them as I feel they will benefit the type of music I want to hear.

Since it's broken in a bit more and I've refined the setup in very minor ways as I go, I do feel the way the 750SH handles noise and imperfections to be much more tolerable now than fresh out of the box. Whether that was just initial setup, or the suspension breaking in I'm not sure but I am absolutely glad it's improved in that aspect. Otherwise, I think it's just become a tiny bit less forward and the bass and midbass kick from it has become more focused and natural. It still doesn't do bass like the MP-500 but as I'm finding, that's perfectly fine considering I'm not sitting here splitting hairs on how the bass sounds on Slayer - Reign in Blood. I just want to feel it and for it to feel punchy and engaging. Nothing more, nothing less. But if I want to hear Scott Lefaro or Geddy Lee's bass? I'm turning to the MP-500, for the most part.

Options are awesome.

Wattie66 and Sbcrue like this.
  22. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

You know the mp500 doubles the price of the AT. It must be better, and not slightly ... I feel that the nagas are a bit overpriced.

But, I understand from your posts that the 750 it's a real upgrade to the 540 ... or not?

aphexacid and Heckto35 like this.
  23. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

They are all moving iron, right?

24. toddrhodes

I know the 200 and 500 are moving iron (moving permalloy) so I think they all are? Maybe not the 110 but the 150/200 are the same generators at least.

As far as comparing the 740 to the 500, I'm not necessarily trying to do that, but these are the two carts I have in my possession so comparisons are pretty much inevitable. Also, others upthread asked me to do so, so I'm trying to oblige as best I can.

As far as how the 750 might compare to the 540, unfortunately I am not sure on that as I don't have a 540 nor have I heard one. BUT - to me the 750 is surprising to me in that it seems to be a bit more refined in the midrange and it's really not "hot" up top at all, yet it has no issue with HF response. I was listening to an album last night that I recall some sibilance on from various sides and I really never picked out any during last night's playthrough. Since that is exactly what I wanted, I am very happy with my decision to go with the 750. And if I can make some sort of comparison to an older model, it would be to the 150 MLX I used to use a couple of years ago. So much has changed in my setup though, I'm trying not to draw direct comparisons as I don't think that's fair either. But, to say it could get bright and forward on some material, is also fair IMO (and yes I was very careful to minimize capacitance behind it).

And because of those inescapable differences between the 750 and the MP-500, they really work for the biggest distinctions in my record collection - metal and hard rock that is pressed "ok" to "really well" and then my more audiophile type pressings, jazz, and more introspective albums from before I was born (1980). At least that's my experience so far.

I would say if the 540 is even 80% the performance of the 750, which I would not at all be surprised to find out it is - I am certain it sounds spectacular for the money spent, and I'd expect the 740/750/760 to just track better and add some refinement to the mix, as well as potentially work better or worse with some arms that the 540 isn't exactly ideal for, which is an opinion I'm borrowing from other reviews I've read of the two compared.

25. Pmds55889397

As I understand VM 540 and 740 is exactly same cartridge apart from body material.

Heckto35 likes this.