Audio Technica VM540ML. I love it!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kiko1974, Apr 12, 2018.

1. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Did you have any static issues with your DL-110 cart? I do, although I love the sound. I’m thinking this AT cart you like may be my next one. I wish I could try it out first. When I used an AT95e I had no static at all, but the sound was inferior to the Denon.

2. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I have the VM520 EB, Are all the 5 series carts the same and the only difference being the stylus? Kind of looks like that on the AT website but not sure. Would like to get the 540 ML stylus form my 520 cart.

Chester0711 likes this.
  3. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

How would it compare to 2M Black? Different stylus shape and the AT is much cheaper, but how about sound wise?

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I am using an AT 12e on my Pioneer PL 518 right now. I use this cartridge for my best LP discs presently. I like it's excellent clean bass, good midrange, and detailed but non fatiguing high treble. Mine is tracking at 2 grams. I love it even with classical massed strings, and ensemble. It tracks tough records securely without breakup, and smoothly. When this stylus goes, a new Audio-Technica AT VM 520 EB will replace it. I am very satisfied with my Audio-Technica for my best LP discs. And use the Shure M 44-7 for 45 RPM singles, and for mono discs. It sounds very nice with my system it's partnered with.

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  5. Francois

Francois Forum Resident

It is cheaper to use an 40ML instead of either 20eb or 30en since it has a runtime of 1000hrs compared to 300hrs. So you get a better sound quality at a better price!

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  6. punkmusick

I'm playing the first LPs with my brand new VM540ML and I'm liking it. Lots of detail, great channel separation and soundstage, no sibilance or IGD so far, and somehow smooth despite the detail and extended top octave. Could have more bass I suppose.

7. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Anybody knows the difference between the 540 and the 740?

8. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

German magazine explains difference. You can find it on the internet. They liked the VM540ML better.

punkmusick likes this.
  9. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

Mine is finally breaking in, I swear the bass is better than the 440ML I had before this.

LOVE it! :nauga:

10. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Wie shade als ich kein Deutsch spräche.
    What does the magazine say?

11. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I do not remember details. 740 was smoother, but too smooth is all I remember so I bought the VM540ML. No reviews were in the USA when I bought the VM540ML.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  12. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I read the magazine review: the 540 is better than the 740 and not as good as a 2M blue.

uGLYmE likes this.
  13. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

14. punkmusick

They have a preference for Ortofon. They love the 2M Bronze.

I personally think the 2M Blue is a very good cartridge but in my system the VM540ML is possibly superior. I just bought it and I'm still getting used to its sound signature, but I'm thinking I'll like it better than the 2M Blue and even the 2M Black. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my phono stage has a lot of gain and the VM540ML has lower output and might be a better match. Or the micro linear stylus match my tastes better than the elliptical and the shibata.

I'll know it better in a few days.

I'm just not fond of the red color, I'll probably paint it black.

Dolemite likes this.
  15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That's the same thing some said about the AT440ML, so Audio Technica jacked up the price from $89.99 to double that! I'm not kidding, too many comments of folks saying that they would gladly pay double the price for the AT cart, and so they got their wish. I wish we could still get a microline stylus and cart like this for $100 delivered.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  16. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The AT440ML has a serious following. Some report a little on the bright side. The VM540ML solves that. So, it is not the same as the AT440ML. Last AT440MLs were selling around $200.

punkmusick likes this.
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Right - double their price of just a few short years before.

Oh there are those that claim the 440MLa or 440MLb cured the brightness, or break in period did it. Or the 150 was the ticket out of overly brightness - but that is another topic another thread right!

18. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Well, bright or not, a lot of audiophiles use the AT440LM, AT440LMA & AT440MLB.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes and plenty of threads on those who used to use them. All discountuned now sadly. New styli is also double the price for them, if you can fine one that fits.

Just tragic what has happened. :shake:

englishbob likes this.
  20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but there is nothing to sad about. You can just buy a new 540 stylus for your 440 cartridge body as they are practically the same thing. I even asked AT if there was any substantial difference and they said no, they just recommend a higher VTF now. Of course the person I spoke with could be wrong and it's possible the compliance is just a little stiffer on the 540 styli to accommodate the slightly higher VTF.

englishbob likes this.
  21. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

AT440ML stylus are still available at a few dealers for $200. But, this will be sold out soon.

22. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident

The Cart/Stylus I have tried are:

AT95e (my first)
    AT120eb
    Shure M97xe
    AT440ML
    Denon DL103 MC
    AT VM740ML
    AT VM750SH

there are a few other but not worth mentioning as they sucked.

A few things.....

For what you get with the AT95e and the AT120eb especially for the price they are nice cart/stylus options and I would never sneer at them.

The Shure M97xe did nothing for me.

AT440ML was the first "sound revelation" I ever had in vinyl. When this hit the record for the first time I was shocked, like a whole world opened up to me.

The Denon DL 103 MC was fine, but not for me. For the cost I felt I could get better Sound.

The VM740ML was much like the 440ML with a bit more detail and possibly and little less shrill.

The VM 750SH, which I am using now, is a really nice Stylus/Cart. It brings a little more low and mid into the game, but i do feel I lose some of the high end, which isn't all bad. Still trying to figure out if it is as punchy as the 740 and 440?

I am very curious to see what the line contact can do, I dont know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

I think a lot depends on your system and preference, but the Stylus/Cart combo will give you more "wow" factor in my opinion than almost any other system adjustment.

Dolemite and bru87tr like this.
  23. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

As I was moving up the cartridge line I passed on AT95e, AT120e, MP-110 in a month and then started to get some 'wow' factor from a Grado Green same month. Bought a VM540ML and stopped there for last 6 months. Previously I had a Garrard 401 with Jelco 10" tone arm & Denon DL 301 II plus a Denon AU-340 SUT. I should not have sold the Garrard, but I think my Luxman PD 272 and VM540ML is as good.

24. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I may get another VM540, I replaced the 95e that was on the table I gave to my daughter with the "just broken in" 540 I had on my rig. I'm sure she is enjoying it.
    Back with my DL-110 which is another great cart, a bit more "fussy" with less than perfect records. Maybe next summer I will go for a 750SH.

25. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident

The 750sh is interesting, only had it about 1.5 months.....still trying to determine if it is better than ML