Audio Technica VM540ML. I love it!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kiko1974, Apr 12, 2018.

1. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

From the AT website (VM740ML Q/A)

Q: Will the red styli work with AT440MLB? if not will there be any sort of replacement styli for the at440mlb?

CUSTOMER CARE
    A: Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, the VMN40ML will work on the AT440MLB.

2. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Well, my question is not whether it will work on the AT440MLa/b (as I already know they are compatible), but whether or not I will hear the sort of improvement in sound with the 440MLa cart and VMN40ML stylus combo that some people claim to hear who have the VM540ML cartridge.

LitHum05 likes this.
  3. MusicNBeer

Ah okay. The difference then is the compliance and recommended VTF. You should try it and let us all know the difference, if any.:wiggle:

macster likes this.
  4. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I played my RSD edition of the Stones’ TSMR and the drums kick some serious a** there (in Citadel and 2000 Man particularly). That record never sounded so alive before, so 3 dimensional.

harby likes this.
  5. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Would love to know if there will be a capacitance problem with the 540. The 440 was not a good match for my Denon turntable.

6. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Ego, did you need to use spacers on your P3 when you fit the 540ML?

7. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

I did not.

Joel S likes this.
  8. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I've just fitted one of these. I was using an AT440MLb cart, and it was fine up until last week and it started to sssssssssssssss a lot of some tracks. The drop-off was quite sudden, it went from OK to unlistenable very quickly.

I think it was time up anyway, its had a fairly good run. I've been sceptical about this new 540 cart and stylus, the AT440Mla was fairly inexpensive when it first came out, the MLb was then a bit more expensive, and then this new one is more expensive again. I hope AT are now settled on keeping the 540 around now for a few years. (MLb's availability was incredibly brief)

I didn't need a new cart, I could of just bought a new stylus, but I am going to re-use the 440MLb cart somewhere else and get another replacement stylus.

Anyway, onto the 540 itself. I've been using the 440's for a while now, but instantly I can tell the difference with the 540. It has a lot more middle and better (but not deeper) bass. This is either due to two things, the 540 is that much better OR its due to the ability to run this at 2g optimal downforce. (440's optimal was 1.4g)

Anyway so far so good, and can only get better from now on in. The only shocker was the manual, lifespan quoted at 1,000 hours. Anyway long time fan of this cart, I love its quality and ability to completely remove IGD.

desmoface likes this.
  9. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

BTW- I heard a MP-500 that was a little better vs the VM540ML. But, it took a $700 cartridge to outperform the VM540ML. VM540ML has to be the best deal ever.

Jbird, Geoff Chandler and desmoface like this.
  10. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Doesn't the VM740ML outperform it for $329? Not saying that the VM540ML isn't a good deal at $249 or whatever it commonly goes for, but I doubt the $700 Nagaoka is the only one that is better.

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you are talking the sound samples in the other thread see my comments - appears to be a loading issue and neither cart sounded "right" to me, not to mention the record itself was likely from a subpar master and/or lacquer cut. There was a third sample with a properly loaded AT "Frankencart" on a first UK pressing that sounded best.

12. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

A German review, first review of VM540ML vs the VM740ML stated the VM540ML was better. I guess some $700 cartridges sound better, but I did not hear those cartridges.

Optimize likes this.
  13. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Either way, the cartridge was a little more open sounding to my ears. Just not $450 better.

14. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident

I have the MP-110 on a planar 3 and I think it sounds really great. I moved up from a Grado black on an Orbit.
    How is the VM540ML on your system? I do like the idea of microline for doing away with sibilance and IGD, which I am very sensitive to.

What do yall think of this VM540ML on the Planar 3?

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It will likely be fine. You may or may not have to adjust tonearm height with spacers. You could also try the VM95ML, which at least one person here also uses on a Rega arm. The EM of the Rega is in the middle so it could go either way depending on how picky you are about getting an exact compliance match at a particular RF.

Firehead likes this.
  16. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Just fit one of these on my new Technics 1210GR...

:pineapple:

(that's me dancing to Kraftwerk)

All went well - I didn't use anything fancy to set it up that properly, just the Technics overhang gauge, an Ortofon protractor and my eyesight. All sounds very good to me right now - in fact there's even much less surface noise on this record than when I played it half an hour ago with the AT95E...!

Only slight glitch- I forgot that I'd attached it to a different headshell (AT versus Technics) and as a result I think ended up with about 4g of tracking weight for 30 seconds or so of my Hifi News Test LP before I wondered what the awful grinding sound was and took it off pronto! Is there any chance I damaged the stylus in that short time?

17. MusicNBeer

Living forever, I'd bet money you did absolutely no harm in that short time. Enjoy your ML. They are amazing. Try to keep your load capacitance as low as possible, short cable from turntable to phono preamp, and ideally phono preamp with input capacitance 100pF or less.

18. LivingForever

Ooh, ok- I’m not sure I know what any of those things mean :D

I have a 1m Blue Jeans cable between the TT and the Rega Fono Mini A2D mk2 pre-amp I’m using ... does that sound sensible?

19. MusicNBeer

LivingForever, that's fine. The rega mini is 100pF input capacitance and the Blue Jean's LC1 are about as low capacitance as you can get. Enjoy!

LivingForever likes this.
  20. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I went from an MP-110 to the 540ml. The Nag struggled with Ian McCulloch's vocals on The Killing Moon, really sibilant and spitty, the AT handles things much better. I'm also using a Blue Jeans cable into a Rega Fono.

21. LivingForever

I'm only a day in but I've yet to hear any sibilance with the AT, this seems to be one of its best selling points!

Kardiaclp, patient_ot and SNDVSN like this.
  22. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

[​IMG]

It's a great cart. Makes everything sound good.

23. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident

I have the same issue with my MP-110. Im also using the blue jean cables from my mofi preamp to my receiver. I too have a Rega.
    I may get the VM540ML later.

patient_ot and SNDVSN like this.
  24. uGLYmE

uGLYmE Well-Known Member

First post after creeping around here for months now. My current setup:

Table - LP120 (internal preamp removed)
    Cartridge - VM540ML (was LP Gear Carbon Fidelity CF95SE)
    Preamp - Art DJ Pre II
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR803
    Speakers - Polk RTi10 Towers

Upgrades other than surgery:

-1/4" cork mat in tandem w/ Technics 1/8" rubber mat on top
    -12 volt DC power convertor for Pre II

I just installed the VM540ML yesterday and holy lord does it sound good. The sound is very tight and precise. My collection (90% bought brand new) pairs well with the micro line. Records I'm very familiar with sound like a remastered version, hearing sounds I never knew were there.

I've been told the next step up is probably my speakers, which I bought 12-13 years ago. I'm leaning towards a high-end record cleaner to keep my presstine collection just that.

Thoughts/comments are welcome. Great community here

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I highly recommend an RCM. How much you spend on it doesn't matter that much. You can do DIY or get a $200 manual RCM from Squeaky, Vinyl Bug, KAB, or a Record Doctor. If you've got the budget for a VPI or something higher end like a Monk or Loricraft machine that works too. What matters a lot is your process (rinse thoroughly) and the fluid you use IME. The weak one step cleaners are okay for new LPs but won't clean used records that well IME. Then again I am very picky about this stuff. The cleaner I use, AI #15, is best paired with a machine that has some type of platter and not the flip and vac machines. I highly recommend this cleaner if you buy or own a lot of used/old vinyl.

quicksrt and uGLYmE like this.