Audio Technica VM540ML. I love it!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kiko1974, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Regarding the VTF the specifications is specified little bit different than some other manufacturers that just specifying a range.

But AT specifying something that they call "standard":
    1.8 – 2.2g (2.0g standard)

How to interpret what they mean with "standard"? Their most recommended VTF or what?
    That it is in the middle of the range is pretty obvious and I feel that is unecessary to mention.

Regarding the SRA it is almost impossible to know at what angels they cut/polished the diamond. And they specify:
    Vertical Tracking Angle 23˚
    (Technically speaking, it is actually the angle of the cantilever vs the flat record surface)
    And it is the only specification we have from the manufacturer.

So AT has tried to make that angle so that the ML meets the grove walls as optimal as possible. So that is the angle we should aim at and not SRA 92°. (But the ML will get SRA 92° anyway the only thing is that we hav now taken into account at what angle the ML is cut to)

But in the end all of the talking about angles above is not so important because it is only to get us into the ball park. Then the final adjustments is by ear and then it doesn't matter if it is 22° or 24° in the end. :love:

2. macster

macster Forum Resident

Yup!

M~

Optimize likes this.
  3. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Technological changes on my horizon:

[​IMG]

4. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

That pic excites me more than a centrefold, must be my age!

luckyno13, gakerty, bever70 and 4 others like this.
  5. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I don't blame you :cheers:

6. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

BTW- I upgraded to a VM540ML and it is a superior cartridge. Best I ever owned.

Heckto35, uGLYmE and DoF like this.
  7. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Great. Mine is being installed and aligned.

uGLYmE likes this.
  8. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

How difficult would this cart fit on a Rega P3 TT? I'm still researching some stuff, and getting close to a P3 turntable, and I'd like to avoid the Elys 2 cartridge, and am thinking either this AT cart if not a higher end model. I know the Rega carts have a synergy with their own turntables, and if I could get the Exact2 cart at a better price I might go that route still, but not at $600.

9. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I'm gonna have some fun from this day forward:pineapple::bdance:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Looking a lot of fun.
    I went from MP-110 to the VM540ML.

The VM540ML in comparison gave more high frequency information. But I miss little of the MP-110 bass. And I do not really know if they have more or less the same bass but the VM540ML has more energy in the highs so that the bass is perceived as learner?

Maybe something you can verify? Or what is your view?

Heckto35 and DoF like this.
  11. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Let me check

PS. Forgot to mention that got also this Tonar Diabolic E stylus for my Technics EPC-270C :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    bluemooze and Optimize like this.
  12. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Sweet!

13. macster

macster Forum Resident

At what angle is your tonearm in relations to your platter?

M~

14. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

2juki sells them for $380.

15. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident

Just so I have this straight, with the 540ML the VTA is judged strictly by the cantilever angle when playing on a record surface?

I was once told with AT carts that a good rule of thumb is to go by the bottom of the cart surface being level to the playing surface? Is this good in theory or wrong?

I know many carts say to pay attention to the top of the cart and whether it is level to playing surface, but those carts have a more level bottom , where the AT carts is angled slightly.

Just looking for clarity on this thanks! (Any diagrams would help, thanks)

Heckto35 likes this.
  16. macster

macster Forum Resident

In my opinion that's a starting point which provides a point of reference. Once you have a point of reference you can adjust + or - from that point till it sounds best to you. I use the top of the tonearm as my point of reference and I adjust up or down a bit at a a time over a period of weeks till things get like I want. That's just me.

M~

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you have an acrylic VTA block with degree measurements, set to a 23 degree VTA per the manufacturer's specs. Many AT carts are spec'd that way.

18. macster

macster Forum Resident

Damn, that's what those numbers are for. :sigh:

I just looked at mine. This may cause me to read the instructions.

Nah!

M~

struttincool and patient_ot like this.
  19. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

The tone arm is very high at the tone arm bearing an leaning downward towards the cartridge.
    But I left it so when standup bass solo on my references track sounded good/OK.
    And the diamond looks like it has the correct angle of ~92° during play back as seen on the image below.

But to be honest I have not tried to lower it. Because of the two reasons above.

[​IMG]
    (The image is taken exactly from the side with the spindle axle is mirrored in the record that is the lighter area there the diamond is)

20. ad1984

ad1984 Well-Known Member

Thought I would chime in because I have found all of your comments so helpful and thought folks might appreciate another data point. I just installed a VM540ML last night (not the easiest thing to do with the lack of threaded holes) and straight away was thrilled with what I heard. I’m upgrading from a Nagaoka MP-110 (which seems to be a theme around here) and had grown tired of the IGD I was experiencing. I also realized I don’t care for the house sound Nagaoka is going for, which seems to focus on the midrange at the expense of the high frequencies. The 540 addresses both of those issues. The high frequencies jumped out immediately, but not in a harsh or overdone manner. The cart provides the air and detail I was missing on my Nagaoka. I still find myself anticipating IGD to kick in at the end of LP sides, but happily the moment never arrives with the 540. The cart was not an insignificant investment, but I think I’ve found the sound I’ve been searching for, something approaching genuine high fidelity.

Heckto35, IRG, Jaffaman and 6 others like this.
  21. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Ad1984, glad to hear you like the sound. These ML do track great with no IGD whatsoever on undamaged vinyl. The mounting screws are completely idiotic and my only gripe.

Heckto35, Drewan77, ad1984 and 2 others like this.
  22. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

@macster I read the thread again and noticed that you have "tail down" on your tone arm preference.
    ("tail down" I interpret as that from cartridge it is leaning down towards the tone arm base)

Then I have the opposite "tail up" (see below).

When you have listened for weeks and tweaked the tone arm hight by ear and that resulted in the opposite direction then I have.

What is your listening experience when you how lower than parallel towards tail down regarding the balance/relationship between the bass and highs?

23. macster

macster Forum Resident

I'm "slightly" tail down, very "slightly". FYI, keeping in mind that I have a different table/system than you do, I noticed a "tad bit" more bass. I'm going to revisit somethings later today.

M~

Optimize likes this.
  24. macster

macster Forum Resident

Here is where I am and where it is going to stay :rolleyes:.

[​IMG]

M~

The VTA block guru..

patient_ot likes this.
  25. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Hmm this do not saying anything to me. What should I look at? :sigh:

I have done the same images.
    One image taken on the same height as head shell:
    [​IMG]

Second image taken parallel to the record:
    [​IMG]