Audio Technica VM750SH catridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phono Groove, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone tried the new VM series , I am looking at getting the vm750sh. I've always used the at155lc and now recently the at150mlx and would want to continue using the audio technical line. Is the vm750sh basically a at150mlx with a shibata stylus? Any comments or thoughts? I was thinking of going with the ML series but I already own a at440mlb and a lot of people have said that the new ML series are almost identical to the at440mlb...

2. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

I've been using one of the VM540ML carts for about 3 weeks now. I think it's great, but it required me to be fussy with dialing in both TT leveling and VTA before it started to show me what it could deliver. Seems to not be affected much at all by anti-skate settings. I'm running mine at 2.0 grams VTF, and 1.75 grams A-S.

3. Phono Groove

Fussy in what way?

4. Doug Walton

Fussy as in, the more I figured out and accurately dialed in TT leveling and VTA, the better the sound got. Left-right performance was vastly improved, soundstage seemed to really open up, as did the general depth of sound it delivered. Now, I suppose some of that could also have been the needle going through some sort of break-in or whatever. And I also spent a fair bit of time dialing the cartridge alignment too, but that was set soon after I got the cartridge.

Heckto35 likes this.
  5. Phono Groove

I see what you mean, my at150mlx is a bit the same way, have you compared to other audio technica's?

Heckto35 likes this.
  6. Doug Walton

I only can compare it to the AT95EX cartridge that came on the AT-LP5. And for that, I can say that it's a night/day difference. An entirely different level of listening enjoyment. For the VN540ML, I did change out the stock thick rubber mat for a 1/8" (thinner) rubber/cork mat, which let me drop the headshell to get it pretty much perfectly level, and I also use a 16 oz. record weight, and a few other minor tweaks to the TT.

7. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Picked up a VM750SH. Installed on my Kenwood KD-2070 (Ortofon SH-4 headshell). VTF set at 1.8 grams. Haven't had a chance to really do any critical listening, but in comparing needle drops done with the VM750SH and the Ortofon 2M Red, I immediately noticed better bass definition and extension while listening to Elvis Costello's classic LP, "This Year's Model."

I also noticed that the sound is a lot fuller on my system when I'm full analog mode (not listening to a needle drop). I think I may need to dial back my click and pop settings in Vinyl Studio a little.

I hope to do a lot more non-needle drop listening this weekend.

8. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

Thinking about an upgrade from vm540ml to vm750sh. I'm looking to get more space and smoothness in my sound.

How do you like it after this time?

9. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Love the cart. Very balanced sound, easy to set up. I have a Soundsmith Otello loaded now, but plan on rotating the AT cart in again soon.

Meehael likes this.
  10. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I owned a VM540ML for 6 months. Unlike the other post I did not find it sensitive to being dialed in. It was there immediately. Great cartridge, but slightly on the analytical vs musical side. That is due to my very accurate tube amp & precision speakers. It plays twice its price range. Perhaps next step up would be a MP500.

Meehael likes this.
  11. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

This cart is on the top of my list to replace my aging Shure V15Xmr and this post sounds positive.

Going from the Shure, I can't go back to the days of any mis-tracking. Any issues with the AT's tracking, particularly in the inner grooves with sibilant recordings?

dan c

Heckto35 likes this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you are coming from an MR stylus (Namiki Microridge) then you'll want to select one of the ML cartriges, not the Shibata ones. The ML is the same profile, just AT's marketing term for the MR. Zero IGD whatsoever with AT ML styli.

Heckto35, macster and Dan C like this.
  13. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

@Phono Groove I recently thought I wanted to try a VM750sh --- but like you, since I already owned the 150MLX (cart body / stylus), I saved $150 and just got the ATN-150Sa shibata (stylus only) for $210 at LP Gear instead. Now I just use the 150 body and swap between the 150MLx or 150Sa stylus - two carts in one - one ML and one Shibata. (both are VERY nice).

You asked if the 750 was just a 150mlx with shibata --- well, the 150sa is pretty much that with a shibata instead of microline!!

BTW, I have also used the ATN-150Sa shibata stylus on the AT-440mlb body with good success too..... they are compatible.

Below are some pics, note that is also the new Zupreme 10g headshell on the right too (the original Zupreme is 12-13g)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

patient_ot and Phono Groove like this.
  14. Phono Groove

Awesome, I'd love to try a at150sa some day. I managed to find a brand new at150mlx cartridge and a spare stylus also new. It`ll be some time until I wear them both out!

patient_ot and TheVinylAddict like this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

DId you get your 150MLx and spare stylus at LPG?

BTW, I just noticed your original post was from 2017...... I hate when that happens.:cool:

16. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

I’ve just had the VM750SH fitted to my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, after 5 years with the (very capable) Ortofon 2M Red cartridge... the difference - to my ears, at least - is quite astonishing.... very happy indeed!

fabre and macster like this.
  17. macster

macster Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to getting one of these and later upgrading to the VM760. I'm loving the VM540, the more I play it the better it sounds. One of the two things that I don't like is the mounting configuration and the other is this weird thing with the imaging. The center imaging is very good, but sometimes the other instruments are louder on the left, and sometimes they are louder on the right. Which is normal, (I believe) but I've never experienced it to this degree. I'm loving it, I listen to mine almost a couple of hours every day.

M~

Heckto35 and Geoffsterpiano like this.
  18. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident

I am enjoying the VM740ML quite a bit. So much so that I cant see how any other MM Micro-Line stylus could be better. I started with the AT440Mlb and enjoyed that one. There is little to no difference in my experience between the two. I did have the VM750SH for a while and did not like it as much, as it had less detail then the ML. That said, I think the difference of the ML and SH comes down to a matter of taste. Also, alignment is paramount with either of these, especially the SH, they are very sensitive to correct alignment.

Heckto35, Meehael and Geoffsterpiano like this.
  19. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

I had mine set up by a pro, as I didn’t want to risk screwing up - which would almost certainly have happened had I done it myself. :sigh:I think when it comes to these things, it’s worth spending a bit of money on getting it installed properly unless one knows exactly what one is doing...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    macster likes this.
  20. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

What's the big difference between the 740 ML and SH sound wise?

Heckto35 and Meehael like this.
  21. Pat Semeraro

Pat Semeraro Well-Known Member

Hi! Have a vm750SH on Jelco magnesium headshell. Background, my long time cart was a Stanton 981HZS, then later Shure V15VxMR, then later... Jico SAS on it. Plus dozens of other carts. Shure M75, M97 Ortofon Concorde with various tips, nearly every Stanton ever made, and more. Turntables are Technics 1200Mk2, 1800 Mk2, 1300 Mk1, all aggressively restored and modified. Even have a homemade lignum vitae wooden tonearm just for variety. Preamps are highly modified Schiit Mani and highly upgraded Quicksilver phono pre. (NOS tubes, V-cap CUTF caps, naked vishay resistors, lots of extra power supply filtering, etc.)

The VM750SH once dialed in has an enormously wide soundstage, very clear sounding overall and good tracking at 2 grams. Two issues were a perceived lack of depth and that stupid, annoying brightness at 15k/16k, same as the Jico SAS. I did a few things that seemed to have helped. I super-glued all metal joints on the cartridge body, then damped the body externally. I coated the cantilever with black sharpie ink. (interesting stuff if you research it) I put a teeny tiny coating of Carmex lip balm on the rubber suspension donut. The brightness is moderated (but still there somewhat but not objectionable anymore) depth is improved a bunch and as a bonus it is more dynamic and textured. Tracking is perfect beginning to end including some difficult 12" dance singles.

It is now a good listener, insightful, and lit up without being over-agressive. It is NOT a laboratory grade instrument like the Stanton 981 or a mellow cruiser like the Shure V15VxMR with original stylus but it captures lots of subtlety and plays quietly in the groove. I can provide needle-drops if anyone would like.

Meehael likes this.
  22. macster

macster Forum Resident

I'm curious, what is the total capacitance of your phono chain?

M~

23. Pat Semeraro

Pat Semeraro Well-Known Member

Not more than 300pf. KAB. Litz rewired arm to 18” interconnect to Mani preamp.

24. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Yes, if it's not too much trouble. Thank you.

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Easily 100pf or more too high for a new AT cart. Mani also has high frequency distortion which is not good and tends to exaggerate clicks and pops IME...glad I got rid of the Mani.