Audio Technica's new VM cartridge series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Scott Davies, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Not sure If I'd want that much excitement and resolution from my old Ministry albums :winkgrin:
    I've got plenty of life left in my Blue, when it's time I'll probably jump back into this AT line. Sounds promising :cheers:

eyeCalypso, Heckto35 and PooreBoy like this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And I am actually happy for the slightly higher tracking force recommendation, it helps me with it being ideal for my application when I want detailed.

PooreBoy likes this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Some folks are concerned that it tames the high-end of the cartridge in a not-good way. I haven't tried these new styli yet, so I cannot say. Right now I take loading on my AT/Signet hybrid down to 39K to get the sound I want.

PooreBoy likes this.
  4. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I feel the same way. I think it really helped this line of cartridges... allowing the stylus to get a little deeper in the groove and in turn bringing out more detail.

McLover likes this.
  5. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

Honestly I feel exactly the opposite. To me it takes away what little harshness these may have had; and leaves the clarity of the higher frequencies. But, everyone's hearing is (and sound preferences) are going to dictate their point of views. ;)

McLover and patient_ot like this.
  6. Kemosabi1

Kemosabi1 Forum Resident

What weight are you tracking at on the VM750SH? I have the same cartridge on a Planar 3 and just last night upped it from 2gram to 2.2 (max) and to my ears it's an improvement in sound - bit more depth/weight

7. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Are you still liking the VM540ML stylus mounted on the 440MLA cartridge? As I'm a longtime user of the 440MLA, I'm reluctant to buy a whole new cartridge (and I hate aligning cartridges), so I'm curious to know if there's any discernible difference in sound with the new stylus.

Also, given the higher recommended VTF for the VM540ML, what are you tracking this combo at?

8. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I was in the same boat, and found a nos 440mla stylus from Hong Kong for 165 on eBay. It came in less than a week too! They have more of them if you're interested.

I was afraid to mess with the sound I've loved for years, so went this route.

9. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Yeah, the 440mla/b replacement styli are definitely still findable (I got one from LP Gear last year). I was just curious to hear from anyone whether the 440mla cartridge really sounds okay with the new VM540ML stylus.

SirMarc likes this.
  10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Yes, I like it on the 440MLA cartridge quite well. Which makes me happy because I do not like setting up cartridges. Even better, I think it sounds better than the 440MLA, more detailed. I track at 2.0.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  11. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

More detailed as in brighter? Cleaner? Just curious, because in another 2-3 years when I'm ready, I'm sure I won't be able to find nos mla styluses

I'm with you my man, I just don't have the patience to set up carts anymore...

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

cleaner, more full sounding. I wouldn't say brighter.

13. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Damn, maybe I should have got one instead of tracking down a nos 440mla stylus then. Oh well, next time. Thanks man

14. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

15. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

I picked up my Rega with a new VM740ML on Monday, it's my first non-rega cart so I'm getting used to a noticeably different sound. This cart seems much more analytical, not sure if that's the right phrase, than my Rega Exact.

16. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I am starting to research as I'll need a new stylus or cart to replace my current AT440mlb. I love the sound of it, clean, no IGD, great tracker. I have a modest set up though, so I don't want to overbuy for my table - I have an LP120 table, schiit mani, audioengine A5 speakers and a small room to listen.
    My goal with my set up is mostly to explore all the nuances of vinyl and how different changes can improve sound. In 5 years I'll have a bigger room to invest in an all around system upgrade.

So I think I'd like to either get one of their new styli and pop it on my current cart, or get a cart that I can later upgrade to Shibata on next time I need to replace. My ideal budget is $300 but I could go a little higher or save longer if one of the other options makes more sense

Thoughts on these options?
    1. put VMN40ml on my 440mlb cart ($209)
    2. put VMN50sh (shibata) on my 440mlb cart ($279) - would this even work?
    3. buy VM540ml cart now ($250), upgrade to VMN50sh shibata stylus later
    4. buy VM740ml cart now ($330), upgrade to VMN50sh shibata stylus later
    5. just buy the damn shibata cart now (VM750SH for $400)

I'm leaning to #4. I have the heavier counterweight on my table (ATCW1), and it looks like the difference in the 540ml and 740ml is a slightly heavier cart body? And maybe that would be better down the line for the shibata? Is it even worth thinking about a shibata stylus on an ATLP120?

The more I research, the more I start getting confused.

17. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Not an exact match, but I'm running the ATN-150sa Shibata stylus on my AT-150mlx. Unfortunately, my 150mlx suffered the dreaded "diamond fell off" thing about 3 months out of warranty. I sent it back to AT, and they installed (charged me $99.00) the ATN-150sa, as they obviously no longer offer the ATN-150mlx stylus. I was not happy with the situation at all, giving up the boron cantilever for an aluminum cantilever. After grumbling and cussing for a bit, I started to break-in the Shibata stylus, and after some time to adjust my ears I became very happy with the Shibata vs. the line contact. It didn't lose any sparkle at the top, and actually I felt the bass response was deeper and more pleasing to the ear. Tracking is still excellent, and I'm still running at 1.5 gms of VTF.

Also, I have been running a stock 440mla on a Technics deck for many years so I'm familiar with it's sound as well. At the end of the day, I'm happy with the Shibata on the 150mlx, and wouldn't hesitate to go with the one currently offered for the 440.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  18. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The VM540ML is stunning.

19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, got mine last week, have not had much time to listen to it yet. The albums I have played sound great though. It is a very "clean" sounding cart, tracks like a champ too.

PooreBoy likes this.
  20. guidedbyvoices

I’m getting ready to pick up a new cart and am waffling back and forth with getting the vm740ml microline and the vm750sh shibata. I have an AT440mlb now. Any thoughts? I’m not clear on what differences I’ll hear between a microline and a shibata. I like the cart I have now, I like the clarity and accuracy and it’s not overly bright in my system.

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have not tried AT's shibata, but some people believe that a shibata is more forgiving than a microline. That has been my experience. Same thing with the Gyger styli and other tips of that sort. The microline is one of the finest stylus tips (by fine I mean how small the dimensions are) you can buy. It's pretty unforgiving IME, of things like scratches, non-fill, records that are not clean, etc. That said I'm a huge fan of AT's ML styli and have been through five or six of them now.

guidedbyvoices and SirMarc like this.
  22. guidedbyvoices

Thanks for that. More forgiving sounds pretty positive for me. I have a ix of stuff from beat up cheapo's to audiophile pressings, so if Shibata is best of both worlds, I may try that.

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you do buy the Shibata, let us know what you think.

24. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

Did you end up getting the shibata? I would like to hear what you think

25. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I am in the same boat - I already own the 440mlb, which is *very* similar in spec of course to it's successor, the 540ml. Then, the 540ml shares the exact same stylus as the 740ml, the 740 has the 700 series cartridge which makes it different.

So I am thinking the 540ml is so close to the 440mlb in design / sound it would be more of a lateral move.

But the 750sh has me intrigued --- but having trouble finding many owners and testimonials. Maybe I should just get it and report out what I find... I can mount it on different tables and see how it works out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.