Audio Technica's new VM cartridge series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Scott Davies, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you are talking about the VM series MMs, then no.

That said AT has been known to release limited edition stuff for the Japanese market, no idea if they have something available there.

George Blair likes this.
  2. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

I wish this was true for me.

I switched out my stylus this weekend to new 540ml. It has too much bass, I hope it tames after a few hours

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Did you adjust VTF and anti-skate? I'd try to give it some time for the stylus suspension to loosen up a bit. Some carts have a longer run in period than others due to stiffer or more flexible suspension.

Heckto35 likes this.
  4. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

Yes, checked the alignment too. I only have a few hours on. I will give it time.

On a positive note
    I do have to say, drums are sounding good

patient_ot likes this.
  5. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Just spent a ton of time trying to install my new VM740ML. I’m getting him from the right big time

I’ve checked that the stylus is in tight. I swapped headshells and the hum moved with the cart. I put in two new right (red and green) wires. I tried with a q tip to clean the connectors where the wires touch the cart and headshell. Still hum. Old cart on different headshell - Zero hum.

So is there anything else I should try? Or send it back to amazon? I’ve only done one cart swap before and it wasn’t too hard. This one seemed easy but I can’t get rid of that damned hum.

Jim in Houston likes this.
  6. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

VM540ML doesn’t have too much bass in my system.

7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

May be that the detail is overtaking the bass. The bass is there actually. Give some break in time, the bass will bloom.

Heckto35 and punkmusick like this.
  8. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I’m really impressed with the VM540ML. It’s my first Audio Technica and my first Micro Line and I’m enjoying it a lot. You know the feeling: I just want to listen to all my records again as it was for the first time.

Heckto35, octavius and Spin Doctor like this.
  9. Chris Schoen

Yes, a cartridge upgrade (or even something "different" if the sound is better,) is the most revitalizing thing a vinyl lover can do. :righton:

Heckto35, octavius, PooreBoy and 3 others like this.
  10. GrahamS

GrahamS Forum Resident

Maybe your headshell isn't earthing to the tonearm or the cartridge isn't earthing to the headshell properly. Pickup cartridges usually earth via the negative connection to the left (Blue) channel. Take a short piece of wire, touch it to the headshell and to the tonearm, and see if the hum disappears.

11. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

I’m now over 20 hours on the 540ml and it’s evened our nicely. I think I like it better than the 440ml. Little less bright in my system and the bass is improve over the 440ml

12. guidedbyvoices

ok thanks for that. At this point I have a replacement from amazon coming Monday, and I took everything off and put it back in the original package. I swapped wires, head shells, etc, and its definitely something with the red/green side of the cart. My old AT95e and 440mlb, swapped them on different head shells and zero hum. We'll see what happens with the replacement.

13. GrahamS

GrahamS Forum Resident

Please keep us posted

14. Chris Schoen

Have had some AT440's a few Denon DL-110's and the new AT540. This AT7V looks interesting, I like that it's made in Japan.

15. guidedbyvoices

The replacement was easy to install, 10 minutes, no hum. Still breaking in but so far it sounds as good as the 440. After another week or two I’ll swap out and do a shoot out to see if I notice improvements worth the extra cost.

GrahamS and patient_ot like this.
  16. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I have a question. You sound like you know what you're talking about. So I've been using an AT 14s (or 14sa) cart in my main system for years. I've been considering upgrading the cart, but honestly, it sounds great and I don't want to get into something I don't want. Specifically, I don't want a bunch of emphasis on the highs and I hear that AT carts are famous for that.

So my question is, what is the lineage of the 14s cart? What is the comparable modern version? If possible, can someone describe how the new cart would sound compared to the old?

Subjective, I know...

Anyone who wants to can feel free to chime in here.

17. Chris Technics

Chris Technics New Member

Hello,
    New here. Is there a difference between the Vm750sh and the At150sa? The only thing that I have found mention of makes reference to the tonearm. Definitely not an expert. If you were to choose, which one would you setup for your enjoyment? Your input would be greatly appreciated. - Chris

18. Chris Technics

Chris Technics New Member

Also forgot to mention.... The turntable it would be going on is a Technics SL-D3. Sorry about that

19. missan

missan Forum Resident

I haven´t really heard these new ATs, but I´m very fond of these You have. I don´t think there is a new one that is directly comparable as the bodies are a bit different. It seems that the 750SH is using a similar needle.

20. GrahamS

GrahamS Forum Resident

VM is a moving magnet. At is a moving coil. Totally different animals.

21. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

22. GrahamS

GrahamS Forum Resident

I stand corrected.

23. Spin Doctor

I was going through the process of getting a cartridge and ended up with the Audio-Technica VM540ML, which I installed a couple of days ago on my Dual 1219 Idler drive. Awesome cartridge. Very even across all frequencies and tracks anything without siblance or IGD.

Great bass response and the midrange is amazing. Listening to Nina Simone's "Little Girl Blue", puts her in the room with you. Soundstage is huge, wide and deep. Excellent cart for very little money, relatively speaking. I'm expecting it to get even better with time. Works well in my system, but I suppose what you get out of it depends on what else you have in the signal chain. One thing I've kinda figured out is that you have the match the cart to the table. If you get a higher end cart, your table generally needs to have a good amount of adjustability (read: high end table) to get all the advantages from it.

[​IMG]

24. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Hi!
    What cables are you using for the 1219? Are they the original Dual cables? What phonostage?
    In essence I am asking for what capacitance you have and resistance...
    Can you put up a sample of this with something common that we might know?

Thank you.

ps I have the same tt

25. Spin Doctor

I changed the Dual cables years ago, but it's been so long, I don't remember what I put in. They weren't anything special. I use the phono stage that's built into my preamp, and it's not adjustable. I guess you're trying to figure how to allow for brightness, etc. Until I got the VM540ML, I had used the AT 14S, which is probably 3 generations older. It was an awesome cart. Nice sound, long lasting. I was told by the guys at AT that the 540 is the new equivalent to the 14S. After doing a bunch of research, I came to the same conclusion. And it does sound very similar, with a few slight enhancements.

However, capacitance isn't something I'm worried about. This cart sounds really good. I'm fine with however my system is setup. The 540 doesn't have the brightness that appeared with the 440 series, which I totally ignored. I imagine they got a lot of complaints about the brightness issue. I only got the 540 because I just wanted to see if I could get any improvement in the system. There was nothing wrong at all with my AT14S.

If you're asking for a needle drop, my recording system is totally different than my "main" system. The recording system is an MMF-7 with a Budgie Phono amp.

As you probably surmise from the photo, mine isn't a system that's going to be affected by excessive brightness, although is can get aggressive when the recording tells it to. From what I've read, and deduced, I don't think the 700 series carts would be that great a match for a Dual. In my mind, that would be because of it's limited adjustability in the VTA. But anything is worth a shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.