Audio Technica's new VM cartridge series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Scott Davies, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Thanks!

Nice system! I only have one and it's got the DUAL and the homemade TT (old Pioneer MU-7 drive sunk in baltic birch with a SA750E arm) as the main rig...that's what I am ordering the VM95ML for...I have been interested in the 540 series for it and or the Dual...I suspect the reason why the 540 mates better is because of it's lesser weight....there's only so heavy a cart you can put on the Dual without needing to add more mass at the counterweight...
    I have Shure M91ED's with NOS styli for it, but I am looking to be in the now so to speak...fretting about what will happen when they wear out is something I am simply becoming over with!
    Thank you for the pictures...it must sound great doesn't it?

Spin Doctor likes this.
  2. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, it's a good old system. Everything in it is used, except for the amp. It's been a work in progress for probably 20 years, but I think I'm done.

Like you, I was getting concerned that my cart would go out and I'd have to rush around trying to find something to replace it. This cart does have a slight hump in the mid-high frequencies, but I wouldn't call it bright. However, if you have a lean/analytical sounding system, overall, I don't know if AT carts are the way to go for your setup. If that is the case, you would might want to look at the Nagaoka MP-XXX carts.

3. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Nope....lean and analytical isn't mine...MX110 into an MC240 and out to two Tannoy 15" Monitor Golds...

McLover and Spin Doctor like this.
  4. Spin Doctor

Sweet!

5. Chris Technics

Chris Technics New Member

Thank you for your response. I do not have an exceptional system. Have been upgrading things as I go. Picked up a Little Bear T11 Tube preamp and have purchased vintage tubes to roll in it. My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D411. Nothing special or vintage. I have a Pioneer VSX-1131 on the way and have purchased some additional Klipsch reference R-15m speakers to add to the system. My other tt is a Pioneer Pl-740 with a Shure m91ed with a Vividline stylus from LP Gear on it. I am pleased with that setup. I was looking at the At440mlb for the Technics SL-D3 and started looking at the vm series. The 540ml you recommend has been spoken of favorably. I started leaning towards the Vm750sh, but is it complete overkill for the SL-D3 and not even worth it to purchase considering what I have for a setup? I know the D3 is not considered a high end tt. Thank you

6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

The VM540ML or the VM550SH or VM750SH would not be overkill for the D3. The D3 would do well with those. The D3 is not "high end" but it is very respectable. I used a Stereohedron (somewhat comparable to an ML) and a Shibata, both from other cart brands, on my D3 for years.

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I suspect the main purpose of this range was to enable a price hike. By all accounts the treble has been tamed a bit on these. Otherwise some have an inferior spec for more cost.

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The new series has lower compliance stylus, making them better for medium mass arms. This probably makes them a better match for the most popular arm types (Technics "style" S shape arms...) Nice carts, very detailed sound from them (imo).

Heckto35 and patient_ot like this.
  9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The old ones worked fine in medium mass arms.

911s55 and Chris Schoen like this.
  10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yes indeed. I ran two AT440's in an S arm. I have a new VM540, and like it as well, perhaps better.

11. Chris Technics

Chris Technics New Member

Thank you John. I had seen someone refer to the D3 as a "beginner tt" and then another person say that when released it was a "mid range". I am very happy with it and realistically... To stand the test of time and continue to be a good turntable speaks for itself. For my second tt in my setup I had an Onkyo cp-1046f with a Shure M97XE with the Vividline stylus from LP Gear. It was nice and very technical. I like a little more bass, but definitely not at the sacrifice of the rest of the full range. I feel the SL-D3 is an improvement, but the Onkyo was nice as well. The original cart the D3 came to me with was the AT71. I found a NOS At71e stylus online and bought it for 12 dollars which I had to keep looking over my shoulder because I felt like I stole it.... The original price tag still on it is 22.99. Lol. Replacement no named ones seemed to be in the 20-35 dollar range. I think it sounds good but also picked up an Audio Technica magnesium headshell, so I wanted to get a "high quality" cartridge to put on it. Everything in quotations is subjective I realize .Thank you for your response.

12. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

i just purchasd a VM540ML will report back in a bit...

Heckto35, ranch 22b and Spin Doctor like this.
  13. missan

missan Forum Resident

The reason for changing the looks like this is of course to sell more, nothing else. The design has been finished long ago.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  14. Spin Doctor

I suppose the changes they made to the 440 which turned into the 540 could have been incorporated without changing the name. Refining an initial design is something that happens in any engineering endeavor. But businesses have a right to stay in business. So the make the changes, give it a new name and generate some new interest. I don't have a problem with that personally.

Heckto35 likes this.
  15. missan

missan Forum Resident

I know what is happening, so I don´t have any problem with it. It´s just that the ATs cartridges that was produced 40years ago was just as good, or maybe even better.

16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

While I am very happy with my current KAB concorde s with 40 stylus (Fritz Geyger), it's never too early to start thinking about your next cart!

How would the 740ML microline stylus compare to the FG?

Heckto35 likes this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

There are different FG profiles. Check out the patents and you will see how the designs are different. IME, FG styli (The FG-S specifically, other FGs may be less extreme designs) are more sensitive to set up - especially VTA and Azimuth than microline and shibata styli. Microline/Microridge designs are the best by far IME at tracing inner grooves. They are very small and have a peak at the top, which probably has something to do with it.

Heckto35, recstar24 and Robert C like this.
  18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The 740 has a thinner minor radius, so it would probably track ever so slightly better than the KAB 40. However the KAB 40 has a slightly larger major radius, which might give it more luck with worn records. I couldn't find any channel separation or balance specs for the KAB 40 so can't compare those to the 740's, which are: 28 dB / 1 dB (@ 1 kHz).

Heckto35 and recstar24 like this.
  19. Spin Doctor

I gotta say that this cart has made me get into vinyl all over again. I have a fair number of records, maybe 2000 or so. And for the most part I'd pretty much stopped listening to them, especially since I got into playing live music, but this cart brought the vinyl magic up a notch. I've had mine a week and it's starting to open up and really sing. It's a really good match for my system.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Heckto35, punkmusick and theron d like this.
  20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Just checked prices in comparison to the ortofon 2m bronze and black - how the heck does Audio Technica pack all that punch for around $300?

Heckto35, MusicNBeer and Spin Doctor like this.
  21. Spin Doctor

I dunno, but I had a Blue and hated it.

22. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Not sure on the pricing, but for me, the VM740ML is clearly better in my system than the 2m Black. The AT tracks way better. Surface noise is noticeably less. I'm no longer fiddling around with VTF, antiskate, azimuth, etc. At this point, I'm bummed I spent $750 on the Black.

Heckto35, recstar24 and punkmusick like this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Better economies of scale, different suppliers, less markup from importers/distributors.

McLover, recstar24 and MusicNBeer like this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I searched for the ortofon om40, which is close, and it shows 25 db @1 kHz.

I think price and value wise the two appear to be pretty close. I’ll probably wear out my current ortofon pro s40 first, then consider changing it up to the AT

Heckto35 and Robert C like this.
  25. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

That’s it, I’m getting one! A 740, that is.

PooreBoy and patient_ot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.