Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, Jul 12, 2019.

1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Bummer, I love my scratch free transport. I wonder if it was certain production run that produced the scratch inducing machines. It is so weird how some do and some don't.

Dignan2000, Salparadise and mreeter like this.
  2. Salparadise

Salparadise Forum Resident

I’ve had mine for six months now, playing it a couple hours every day, and not a single scratch. It’s a wonderful transport. They need to get a handle whatever is causing this problem for some people before it ruins the company’s name. I’m done with Rega because they they won’t acknowledge the issues with their lame ass mechanisms.

ls35a, Dignan2000, benzo and 3 others like this.
  3. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

I love Rega products and the company in general but having gone through the misery of many CD players gone bad I’ll steer clear of their CD decks.

As for the Audiolab transport, I’d rather have a few scuffs that play just fine than a deck that won’t play perfect cd’s. I’m very much a perfectionist so I get not wanting anything to scuff my precious collection. No doubt, I feel that. I’m going to be 61 on Sunday…I’m at a point where sound and value are paramount to me. I get fantastic sound from my Audiolab transport. Actually from both as I have two. I have no investment in what happens to the discs when I’m gone. They are here for me to enjoy now and that is exactly what I am doing.

Being a heathen I also play scuffed LP’s…:)

4. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I sold mine and got the Rotel CD11 Tribute which is very comparable to the Audiolab in sound quality.

CustardGun, Dignan2000 and mreeter like this.
  5. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

BilboAlaska, mreeter and Art K like this.
  6. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Have they released the RRP? It is hard to determine what price range they are aiming it at from the press release. Not sure if it is replacing the Kandy or if it is a new range below it.

Edit: Looks like it is £499 so below the Kandy.

7. Art K

Roksan is usually very good! The whole Atessa range looks cool.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Eamon likes this.
  8. moops

moops Senior Member

You've got me thinking about keeping my 6000CDT !
    I've since bought a Rotel, but I'm thinking ..... as none of my discs were rendered unplayable and the marks I actually noticed occurred very rarely and were very minimal, it may be worth keeping the 6000, because it does sound fantastic.

Food for thought ...... thanks. :wave:

9. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

It seems random. Affects 1 in 10 CD's I play if not less. TBH all my CD's are pretty much second hand from charity shop or music magpie and it doesn't impact play so not overly bothered with it. Ideally it shouldn't scuff the CD but life is too short to worry over something that actually doesn't cause a problem.

Now on the other hand if it was rendering CD's unplayable that would be a different matter.

mreeter likes this.
  10. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Out in september, 625€, this might be interesting. No slot loading (which I hate). Awaiting reviews :bdance:!

11. Westerwick

Westerwick Forum Resident

Having read this thread through I had to check my CDs for scratches, happily there were none so my 2019 model Audiolab 6000CDT is ok. I am disappointed to hear some owners have been having problems though.

Dignan2000 and moops like this.
  12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think you should check if the scratched CDs will play on transports other than the Audiolab which will likely be fine due to it's buffering. Sticking with my Cambridge CXC which has been fine apart from the memory once scrambling somehow and getting stuck on random. Cured by unplugging from mains for a couple of hours which cleared the memory.

13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I remember the old Attessa a much more substantial top loading affair. This will likely be many times the cost of the Audiolab and Cambridge models.

14. Art K

I have seen very, very few and it’s very light. They play on every other CD player I have. I see more marks on some brand new discs than these.

moops likes this.
  15. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Nope, as said before 625€!

16. Art K

Roksan is a brand that I have heard quite a few times but never owned. It’ll be interesting to see what the U.S. price will be and read the first few reviews.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  17. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Is it true it doesn't have "remaining time" display?

18. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

£499 in the UK so not that much more.

Roksan Attessa CD Transport - Trade In Available

sheffandy and bever70 like this.
  19. ssmith3046

I really like mine too and mine is not a scratcher but it is really disappointing to read about some of these transports scratching CDs. It seems so random too. I wonder if something gets jarred when they're being shipped. They seem to be packed really well though in the factory carton.

20. moops

moops Senior Member

Yeah, the couple that appeared on my discs weren't really what you would define as your standard "scratch" on a CD. They're more like a tiny scuff, there were some pictures posted earlier.

My guess, because it's so random, is it's not the cause of whatever grabs the disc, or it would happen all the time.
    Maybe something isn't quite aligned when the disc passes in and out of the slot at times.

In the promo for the unit, Audiolab state the slot loading mechanism comes from a car audio design point, so it would be interesting to see the mechanism itself in operation, as there seem to be different designs.

Art K likes this.
  21. ssmith3046

I check my CDs occasionally. I used to have a SACD player so I have a lot of MFSL hybrid SACDs and I like the CD layer. I have other CDs that I'd like to keep NM. I think that if I started seeing scratches I stop using it. You can get a refurbished Cambridge transport for $350. I've played a lot of discs in the Audiolab so I think I'm OK. ( famous last words )

Swordsandchains, Dignan2000 and Art K like this.
  22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I purchased my Audiolab on December 2020, which means that I have it for seven months now.
    I play it almost every day for at least a few hours per day.
    There are no scratches on any of my CDs. I used to check constantly the first month with a bright flashlight and I still check occasionally.
    I cannot see any scratches. I am playing mostly new CDs that I purchase so any new scratches should be clearly visible.
    But there are none.

mreeter, Art K and ssmith3046 like this.
  23. ssmith3046

It's a great transport, isn't it?

Art K likes this.
  24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It is! I am extremely happy with it!

Art K and ssmith3046 like this.
  25. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

I have a Roksan Caspian FM Tuner that is great. I have a bunch of tuners and it is a favorite so I got a second one. Probably be my last one, except maybe my classic Rotel.