Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I was having problems with the remote (I’ve been using my new 6000CDT for about a week, no scratches so far) and ran into this problem. It is indeed more of a quick “press” of the remote button rather than a “mash”. :righton: Thanks.

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  2. Scott Michael

Scott Michael Well-Known Member

I'm a new member of this forum, which I've been reading to see if anyone else had a problem with occasional stuttering and scratching on the data face of CDs.
    Quite a number of other members here have had scuffs and scratches on their CDs. The 6000CDT sounds so good though, and even though my excellent dealer (Sight & Sound Galleria in Melbourne, Australia) has offered to exchange it I'm reluctant to part with it as the distance it would have to travel means it would take over a week to return. So I experimented, using a little common sense. No more scuffs or scratches! All that seems to be needed is a gentle upward lift of the CD when taking it out, thereby removing, or at least lowering the downward pressure that causes the scratching. This shouldn't be necessary, but is so easy to do & has become automatic now - no more scratches or scuffing! There's still the issue of occasional stuttering, but this has only happened a few times and not at all for the last couple of days so maybe the unit has run-in. Fingers crossed! If anyone else could confirm that my solution to the scuffing works for them I'd be grateful - thanks.

3. fcdvpds

fcdvpds Forum Resident

so
    so interesting...so the way you use the player and take the cd out has likely something to do with getting or not getting scratches...

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

No problems with my Audiolab transport. I love it.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  5. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

we need a video instructional!

6. Scott Michael

Scott Michael Well-Known Member

Even if I knew how to post one, there's no need for a video! Procedure = push the eject button, insert finger into center hole of CD, place thumb on edge of disc and very gently lift with thumb while removing. There were plenty before, but I haven't had a single scuff since.

BilboAlaska, Art K and MondoFanM like this.
  7. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

I have had no problems, but as a preference I like my Rega Apollo top loaders. I still have Line Magnetic drawer style and Audiolab 8200 CDQ drawer. They work fine but just seem so flimsy, or delicate.

My favorite CD players are not traditional. Since I got the Blusound Vault I see that makes so much more sense to play each cd just one time and then replay it from the HD, hard disc in the Vault, no need for involving computers. I will next try the Innous ZenMini to have a different OS app. There are others, eg Wired4Sound, Naim, Cocktail.

I keep the CDT because of lack of good wifi here, but when I move to a solid wifi home, I will simply use the Vault or Zen.

I know that the more computer oriented audiophiles have been burning cds to HD but I have never been interested in computer based HiFi except to use a mobile device as a remote, ie streaming from a phone or notebook. These new systems make it available to the non computer hifi users.

8. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I’ve had the 6000CTD for about a month now and found that it will not play my copy of Workingman’s Dead on Rhino from 2003. It started playing it and then started skipping at tracks 9 and 10. Not a mark on the cd. Cleaned both it and the transport and the transport liked it even less after. It wouldn’t eject the cd until I turned the transport off and on. Put in Merle Haggard’s double cd of I’m A Lonesome Fugitive and Branded Man and it played fine.

edit: I put the cd in a different player and it skipped in that player too…. the cd might have been bought used. I have a theory that cds that have been resurfaced or repaired by a store cleaning machine break down. I’ve had to toss more and more cds away since the cd repair machines became popular.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  9. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

Your theory around cd repair machines is probably correct. My 6000CDT has never once skipped. I don’t own one CD that’s been “repaired”…don’t even know what that is. My CD’s are all bought new, with an occasional pristine used disc. I’m not sure why anyone would think it’s ok to resurface CD’s.

Nice Marmot and BilboAlaska like this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'd love to hear the 6000CDT with the matching amp, 6000A (I think it's called?).

Top UK gear!

11. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Obviously not the same as being there, but the Audiolab Integrated/DAC and the 6000 CDT combo.

bhazen and Art K like this.
  12. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

so far my sony dvd player sounds better than this transport. using with Pontus dac. very disappointing.

13. B.C.

B.C. New Member

Hi everyone. I am new here but i decided to share my experiences with my audiolab cdt 6000.
    I compare it with my pioneer dv420 dvd player (super budget one) mosty via topping e30. I think there is not real difference in sound quality. They sound almost the same. After this i really can't understand the rave reviews about this product (maybe cable or any other problem I do not know). After a few days i returned it because the small characteristic scratches appeard on my discs. Get the marantz cd 6007 and find it better with it's own dac than via e30.

punkmusick and rockin_since_58 like this.
  14. Bonzodog

Bonzodog Forum Resident

I've enjoyed 23 and a half months of CD bliss with my 6000CDT & 6000A, however last week I had to return it as it was repeatedly blowing the mains supply fuse located in the rear panel. Here in the UK it's covered by a 2yr warranty and so I'm happier that it developed this issue now rather than next month. Today the dealer advised me that my faulty unit that they collected from me had been lost in transit by their carrier and so they will send me a brand new unit as a replacement.

Pretty good customer service I'd say, but I'll reserve judgement until it gets to me.

I've really missed not having the 6000CDT these past few days. It's a very impressive bit of kit.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I got rid of mine due to some very small scratched it created and got the Rotel CD11 Tribute as a replacement. I am considering getting another 6000CDT as the Rotel has quirks that even more annoying. Several times a week it will not read a disc after inserting and I have to remove the power cord to get it to reset so that it will work. Also many times the drawer decides to close as I am placing a disc in the tray and if I am not fully ready for this, it has wedged the disc between the tray after it is closed so that the tray is closed and the disc is protruding out of the front. Not to mention this caused some nasty scratches. Nothing is perfect I guess.

Dignan2000 and Art K like this.
  16. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

It is good that you found out sooner than later...the DAC dominates....not the transport...Some dudes realize this after they've dropped 5k or 10k on a transport. They try to hallucinate or imagine improvements initially. But, they realize very soon that their wallets got schmackarooned by Vulture Vince & Vulture Vinny. :D

punkmusick and Jimi Floyd like this.
  17. Art K

I disagree. The transport imposes it’s sound into the system. My Oppo and Luxman CD players into myDAC don’t sound anywhere near as good as my Audiolab. To each his/her own.

18. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

It's been ages since I posted here. Near-death experiences with COVID, blood clot in lungs, internal bleeding, etc. put audio obsessions in perspective, at least for a while. Anyway, I'm back, and considering a 6000cdt, but feeling uncertain because of, yes, scratch-o-phobia.

Does anybody have an update on the "slot-loader scratches discs" issue?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    mreeter likes this.
  19. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

WB, Glad you are still here and with us, please stay safe and healthy.

20. Art K

Welcome back! I have no update except to say that I’m still loving mine. Someone touched on it briefly…I always put my discs in straight and remove them the same way. I’ve only seen super light scratches twice. Both times I either put the disc in at at angle or removed it that way…. for a while I looked at my discs. Nothing. The two discs with very light scratches, I honestly can’t say that I know if they weren’t there before I played them…and it had no effect whatsoever on playback.

21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Love mine. No scratches. Welcome back.

William Bryant and mreeter like this.
  22. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I hate to admit it openly, but since acquiring a Streamer the CDT has been idle. So no, no scratches :winkgrin:

But, when I was using it on a daily basis for a few hours bout every day, nary a scratch one:righton:

ssmith3046 likes this.
  23. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Their new Omnia all in one seems to have a drawer instead of a slot, so maybe if a new transport comes it will have it too.
    [​IMG]

mreeter and Jimi Floyd like this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Omnia definitely uses a tray mechanism. Hopefully the range will be expanded to include versions without the amplifier and /or a CD transport only. Also available in black.

mreeter likes this.
  25. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Just recieved my 6000cdt a few days ago. Very nice sturdy build, sounds great and no scratches on my CDs.

StimpyWan, Art K and mreeter like this.