Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

Absolutely nothing!
    I just use the AES/EBU output and that is on the DR200

2. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

You may want to check the Tascam CD-RW 901 Mk2, could be worth the price as transport with AES/EBU output. CD-RW901MKII | OVERVIEW | TASCAM - United States
    Note: the remote is wired.

Dignan2000 and Naka9 like this.
  3. Naka9

Thanks for the tip, but I think it is too “pro-oriented” for my preferences.

4. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

Look at Nuprime's option as well, the CDT8 Pro is a bit more expensive than the Audiolab @ €899 but has quite a good variety of digital outputs (I2S, AES/EBU, coax, optical). And it's not slot-loaded.

Naka9 likes this.
  5. Naka9

Thanks for the suggestion, I already “studied” the CDT8 Pro and it looks very well equipped... but then I think it is not for me because:
    - apparently the drive mechanism is not a high quality, so I read on a couple of reviews, and looks that it is not proper isolated.
    - looks that It won’t last much
    - miniature size components always feel like a poor deal.

6. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

So I've been noticing, oddly, that lately when I stand up, the cd player kind of blanks out for a second. It doesn't skip, the disc is perfect, and happens on any disc. The player is dead level too. Is it possible that the static electricity in the room could cause this? It's been bad the last few weeks as it's been cold and dry.
    I ordered a new coax cable, in case it's that, but I doubt that's the issue.
    I'm in the basement, hardwood on cement, so it isn't bouncing or skipping. And like I said, it's not an audible skip, it's just a blank out or drop out, then resumes playing like normal.

7. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

Static can cause that. Someone mentioned that they discharge the static before operating their CD player. I’ve had static knock a player before.

8. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

That was me that said I discharge myself before touching my stereo gear. I throw at least a 1/4" spark anytime I get up from my listening chair. I will touch a screw on a light switch plate cover first then no ESD when I touch the stereo gear.

Art K likes this.
  9. Noel Patterson

So this happens without even physically touching the player tho, just movement by me getting up and walking.

Art K likes this.
  10. Art K

Not sure…doesn’t happen at all while you are just sitting there listening?

11. rockin_since_58

This could be possible if you have a high static electricity charge on you. I can feel the electricity when I move out of my listening chair. The charge is looking for a place to go.

Noel Patterson likes this.
  12. Noel Patterson

Nope, only when I get up out of my chair. Which, being a relatively small space, only puts me a few feet away from the player.

13. Art K

It’s either static or vibration, or both. Suspended floor? Sometimes the frequency of a vibration is just right (or wrong) to cause that. For instance I have never felt a need to place a Rega turntable on a wall shelf…I can’t even get the arm to jump regardless of what I do. I had a Clearaudio deck that I couldn’t even look at without the arm jumping and then sliding off the edge…a suicidal deck. I had a CD player that skipped every time I played a Mahler symphony…and at exactly the same place on the CD…

Can you try it in another room?

14. Noel Patterson

I may need to try it in another room. I mean, it's not really a big deal, I guess my main concern is it's a defective unit that I need to get exchanged before it's too late

Art K likes this.
  15. rockin_since_58

This shows the ESD spark I throw when I ground myself. This is not good for your gear if you don't discharge first.

16. Noel Patterson

Yikes! I've had this in my room actually. I keep a bounce sheet handy to put my hands on before touching; seems to work. Also have to take off my rubber sole slippers too sometimes!
    So static is a big issue in my room!

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  17. TarkusMX

TarkusMX Well-Known Member

Hi friend, you replied to a message from me a couple of weeks ago when I reported a similar issue; however in order for the interruption to happen, I need to physically touch any of the devices in my rack. While I haven't experienced what you described, I wouldnt be surprised if it has to do with static traveling from your body to the equipment through the air. For example in my case, when using headphones, the interruption only happened when I also got up from the couch, never while sitting, and the electric discharge (I assume) traveled from my body through the headphone cable so you might be experiencing something similar. What I did was buying a can of anti-static spray which works wonderfully for me. Now I don't have to worry about becoming charged although sometimes I still wonder if the CD transport is defective or not.

edit: FWIW, I just remembered one occasion where the transport also blanked out without me touching it when I had gotten up from the couch. As it only happened that one time I didn't think too much of it

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  18. Noel Patterson

Glad I'm not alone, thought I was going bonkers! I'll try the spray, see if it helps. Thanks for replying!

19. TarkusMX

No problem! By the way, I sent an email to Audiolab directly inquiring about the issue and they just referred me to the distributor I bought the device from, in my case an external seller through Amazon, so I didn't even bother contacting them. If the OEM cannot respond a simple tech question, why would the reseller/distributor? I found it a bit disappointing.

20. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Or buy the very nice used one for sale here.

mreeter likes this.
  22. TarkusMX

Quick vent.

Man, I really want to love the Audiolab 6000CDT. I'm currently on my second unit after having returned the first because of CDs coming out with scuffs from time to time. This second unit does the same and I just haven't been able to find a way to replicate the issue or understand what could be causing it (leaning towards dust getting caught in the flaps when inserting/retrieving?). It even seems the damn thing is sentient because CDs I really care about are the ones getting marks and the ones I don't care much about come out unscathed every single time.

Jokes aside, I'm thinking about returning this second unit and wait until the Schiit Urd comes out at some point this year. To me, it's just not justifiable to keep a device that will cause me more heartburn than happy memories in the long run.

Fredtones and rockin_since_58 like this.
  23. Art K

If it bothers you, send it back. A bit of a pain, I understand, but don’t keep something that causes you anxiety.

24. Fredtones

Fredtones drumtones

i am waiting for the Schiit CDT too. Hoprfully that will be this year.

25. Art K

I’ve had a couple of their DAC’s. Based on the sound of them I can’t say that I am anxiously awaiting the transport. Never know though, it could be great.