Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

After reading this thread and your post I promptly made one of these signs until I get in the habit of grounding before changing the volume or whatever.
    [​IMG]

2. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Great idea! I have just made it a habit to ground myself on a light switch plate screw every time before touching any gear. ESD may have been what caused the issues with my CD11.

Fredtones and Gizmo90 like this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Anything that marks discs in unacceptable. Buy a Cambridge CXC instead. If you want something with a clearly better transport mechanism, look at Jay's Audio.

Berkson Here and TarkusMX like this.
  4. Fredtones

Fredtones drumtones

Unison USB connection is interesting. But then i might need a speaker upgrade :D:D

Art K likes this.
  5. Jim13

Jim13 Forum Resident

I bought a Jay’s cdt 2 mk3 last week, I never knew what a good transport could do, absolutely incredible, if you play a lot of cd’s, it won’t disappoint.

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

If I had $2500 to spend on a transport I'd definitely buy one but that's a lot money, especially to a retired person. I'll have to stick with my non-scratcher Audiolab.

Dignan2000, mreeter and Art K like this.
  7. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

Agreed.

8. Ruckus

Ruckus Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with Emotiva ERC4 cd transport and dac?

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

There's nothing wrong with spending $2500 on a transport, I don't want sound like I'm knocking anyone for doing so. I'm sure it's a fantastic piece of equipment. If I find $2500 under a couch cushion today then I'm all in. :)

ubiknik and Art K like this.
  10. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

I have been considering upgrading my CD transport from Cambridge CXU for a while, however I found out that ripping a CD and then playing it from an USB stick directly into the Cambridge CXU (and by coax into my DAC) sounds better than playing the CD. This eliminates any optical CD reading errors. The USB stick was 10€!

ssmith3046 likes this.
  11. Art K

Once again, agreed.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  12. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

I'm confused. Are you using a non-optical method to rip your CDs? Of course there aren't optical CD reading errors when you're playing your music from a USB stick, but how did the data get loaded into the stick to begin with if not by an optical (with possible errors) ripping of the CD?

LakeMountain likes this.
  13. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

You got me there! That is what you get if you reply when you are in a hurry. :sweating:.
    What I did is to use downloaded .wav files to play from an usb stick and then compare it to a burned CD!
    I was planning to use an error correcting program for reading and storing a CD, but I have not done it yet.
    Edit: in this thread (post #34) the dBpoweramp program is suggested as an accurate rip program.
    Best way in terms of SQ to play a 44.1kHz/16 bit file?

Apologies for my incorrect earlier statement.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  14. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

From the specs section:
    • Does not support gap-less playback.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  15. Dignan2000

Dignan2000 Forum Resident

Yikes!

16. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Does anyone find the Audiolab a little finicky with lightly scratched discs?

17. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Handling difficult discs is supposed to be its strong point. I never had it not read a disc.

Noel Patterson and Dignan2000 like this.
  18. moops

moops Senior Member

Never did with mine, it's apparently got a "read-ahead" buffer system to avoid disc reading issues. It played everything.
    It was the random little scuffs appearing on discs that was the deal-breaker.
    If they had designed this transport with a tray, they would have had a classic on their hands and I would have kept it and been very happy.
    My first experience with a slot loader too, outside of a car stereo ...... a bummer.

Noel Patterson likes this.
  19. Art K

Mine has not been finicky at all.

Sty82 and moops like this.
  20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I do not have any problem, not even with badly scratched discs.

moops likes this.
  21. Noel Patterson

Well I discovered it wasn't finicky with discs or malfunctioning. It was the surge protector/line conditioner I was using not happy with the electric fireplace on the same line. When the heater would click on, I guess it drew enough power to make the conditioner do something for a split second. Somehow. No idea why!? But I took the protection unit out (a Belkin) and plugged everything directly to the wall and no more issues.

Dignan2000, Art K, 5-String and 2 others like this.
  22. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

Hi, I'm crossposting this from a general CD thread so it's available to those looking up this player specifically:

---

Received the Audiolab 6000CDT today. I connected it up and, as promised, did some loading and unloading tests with an unimportant CD to see if there were scratches.

Unfortunately I can report that the unit definitely scratches CDs. I'd say one in three, maybe even one in two insertions, which were all identical in terms of how I tried to load the disc, led to a mark.

None of the marks were the sort of gashes that render a disc unplayable, but they were all objectively scratches that weren't there before, and in different places and patterns too. The disc is now quite significantly marked, in about 10-to-15 load-ins.

The loading isn't actually very smooth. One big problem is that sometimes it will try to take the disc before you've put it in far enough, and this left the biggest mark. Obviously there's an element of user error in that one, but it won't give up once it tries to take a disc, it'll just keep wanting to grab it, and it's not that hard to trigger that problem. Also, on ejecting the disc, the pulling it out of the machine isn't all that smooth either.

It's hard to see how the issues are user error, though, because there's no way to really put it in at a wonky angle or too forcefully. I think instead it's the way it grabs the disc, which can feel a little bit aggressive, and the way it feeds it in from there.

I took before and after photos of the CD and actually took a video of the whole process. I also tried a CD-R to ensure it wasn't that given CD, and that also marked on the first attempt. Here's a before and after of the commercial CD I used for the 10 or so load-ins:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So obviously I'm returning it. I now have to decide whether to take the Marantz CD6007 to use as a transport, or just get my money back and hold off on a CD player for a while. I'm quite set on a better CD player now, though, so it'll probably put CD listening on hold if I decide not to buy one for the moment.

And if anyone from Audiolab is reading this somewhat damning post, consider making a 6000CDT with a tray. It'd be an emphatic market leader because a lot of people clearly want this player but can't abide the slot loader.

Berkson Here, stenway, Dafox and 2 others like this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Must say the buffer is useful for playing the CDs that it previously scratched :). Might be an issue on another CD transport.

24. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

I recently bought a 6000A amp and really, really wanted the matching CD transport for the visual, aesthetic appeal. Posts like yours and many like it, however, led me away from the beautiful 6000CDT to the clunky looking TASCAM CD-200BT with TEAC drive. Result? A significant downgrade in terms of looks, but a really rugged (for 2022) drive that has worked flawlessly and couldn't scratch a disc if it tried. Regrets? Sort of, since I wanted my kit to be more beautiful, but I have no complaints at all about the function, safety, and sound.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    mreeter and Juan Matus like this.
  25. Noel Patterson

I'm 3 months into my 6000cdt and have none of the problems as above. I thought I had problems with it cutting out but turned out to be something else. It seems well built and sounds fantastic.

William Bryant likes this.