Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, Jul 12, 2019.

1. rezjunkie

rezjunkie Forum Resident

Art- I just came across your post. I’m glad to hear you are so happy with it. I’ve been debating the 6000 or going with the 8000. However, dac flexibility has me leaning in the direction of a transport .

Your past thoughts on gear I’m familiar with is a big help, as I’ve come to similar conclusions as yours.

You mentioned Schiit, could you let me know which models you have heard? I’ve got zero experience with their dacs. I was contemplating a chord qutest or Mytek liberty, but I’m flying blind, and would prefer to spend less than either of the above mentioned, if possible.
    Unfortunately, I’ve got zero local dealers. So I am stuck with reviews and owner feedback for a starting point.

Thanks for any help.

2. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

I owned the Schiit Gungnir Multibit. Good DAC, however I like the Border Patrol DAC SE better.

3. Helom

Helom Forum member

FWIW, I recently compared a Chord Qutest to my Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital and didn't notice any improvement over the Pro-Ject. That was before I added a Topping P50 linear power supply to the Pro-Ject which seems to have improved it a little. Everything else in the system chain remained the same during my A/B tests.

Honestly, I can imagine how the Qutest could instill a strong placebo effect - its build and feel is first-rate. It was difficult at times to remain objective because I did want the Qutest to have a landslide victory. It was intended to be an upgrade after all. At the end of the day though, I had to admit to myself that it simply didn't sound any better.

In contrast, the Pre-Box was an obvious improvement over my other DACs (LM 502CA and Topping D20)

Pre-Box S2 + Topping P50 = $519

bever70 likes this.
  4. waterclocker

waterclocker Forum Resident

I still have both currently. I've been running the 6000cdt hard for a while and I plan to do some direct comparison soon. I'll be sure to post here after.

panasonicst60 likes this.
  5. panasonicst60

panasonicst60 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm curious on what speakers you have?

waterclocker likes this.
  6. waterclocker

I've got modified/upgraded Tekton Perfect SET and 8008-Corner that I built using top grade components. Both are revealing of the source and amps, etc.

panasonicst60 likes this.
  7. panasonicst60

That's sound like a great setup! I couldn't wait so I went ahead and ordered the Audiolab 6000cdt. I have pretty revealing speakers also in the Ascend Acoustic Raal towers to test. I'm still interested in your opinion, so please keep us updated.

Just a guess, if it's taking you this long to come to a conclusion, it must be really close in sound quality. No?

waterclocker likes this.
  8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Do you know if anybody who is selling these offers a try-out period? I'm intrigued by what I have read about this unit. If it makes as big a difference as claimed, then it might be a no-brainer type of upgrade for redbook playback.

9. Helom

Helom Forum member

I was planning to buy one through Amazon for their lenient return policy.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  10. panasonicst60

If you're looking for a huge difference, I'm sure you'll be disappointed. I compared the cxc to my oppo 203 awhile back and there is definitely a difference, but it's subtle. I would say about a 10% improvement. I'm very satisfied with my cxc, but I got hit with the upgrade bug and wanted something different. So I am getting the 6000cdt. Again I'm sure they will sound very very close.

jcr64 and displayname like this.
  11. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

On my search for a CD player under $500, today I discover this. Not pretty as a Marantz but I like the idea of the transport. Not fan of slot loading (fear of scratch and stuck discs) but I read there's no problem with this.

jcr64 likes this.
  12. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I've been using the Audiolab 6000CDT for a couple of weeks now, no issues. Amazing detail compared to another well-known transport (which costs more than double the 6000 in the UK). Really like the transport (but wasn't so keen on the amp - maybe just the phono stage though).

Swann36 and jcr64 like this.
  13. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

After some unexpected delays, I was able to take the Onkyo C-7030 downstairs for an A/B with the Audiolab 6000CDT. Both were connected via identical cables to the optical inputs on my 6000A and played through KEF R500 speakers. I used the same test tracks--Dire Straits' "Your Latest Trick," Bruce Springsteen's "Tunnel of Love," and the first movement of Beethoven's Third Symphony ("Eroica"), performed by Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music.

I'll start by saying that the Onkyo is a thoroughly decent transport, especially for the $150 or so I paid for it six years ago. It sounded better than the Panasonic Blu-ray player that I used for my last A/B. That said, the 6000CDT is clearly better, albeit by a relatively fine margin. We're not talking about the difference between listening to a CD on the 6000CDT and listening to the same track streamed via Bluetooth to the 6000A from my phone. There, the difference is vast.

On all tracks, the Onkyo sounded very good-to-excellent; the 6000CDT sounded just plain excellent. On the 6000CDT, all tracks were simultaneously fuller and more precise; the bass was marginally tighter. The Onkyo had a bit of edge to the treble that I think might have become fatiguing over time. This manifested itself in a couple of ways: Bruce's voice on "Tunnel of Love" seemed just a tad harsh (above and beyond his usual gravel), and on the Eroica, this is a bit hard to describe, but it sounded like the violinists were working really hard on the loud, fast parts. All was better with the 6000CDT. Bruce just sounded like Bruce, and while the orchestra played with energy and dynamism on the Eroica, the vague sense of strain I heard on the Onkyo was gone.

Bottom line: the Onkyo was an excellent transport for the price before it was discontinued earlier this year (and the Wolfson DAC in my old model was pretty decent, too, though on this test I used the 6000A's built-in DAC). But the 6000CDT is clearly better, sufficiently better to justify the jump up in price.

14. panasonicst60

Good review but I'm not surprised a transport blowing out a lower budget cd player. It was expected. A pure transport vs transport is what I want to know.

Rob the Comic likes this.
  15. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

Wish I could help, but that's all I got.:cool:

I too am looking forward to the promised 6000CDT vs. CXC comparison.

waterclocker and panasonicst60 like this.
  16. panasonicst60

I'll be getting one soon to do a direct comparison to my cxc. My guess is that it'll be very close. But I hope I'll get surprised :).

Looking at both units with the top off, the cxc looks a lot more impressive, but what do I know. Can anyone that knows a thing or two about internals mine to educate me?

jcr64 likes this.
  17. rezjunkie

rezjunkie Forum Resident

Thank you. I’ll take your Border Patrol rec. The review in Stereophile reminded me of the review they did of my amp. It tests like crap but sounds amazing. I’m intrigued. Take care-

18. rezjunkie

rezjunkie Forum Resident

Thank you for your insight. It’s appreciated.

19. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Some folks have called the Onkyo C-7030 a "giant killer". Haven't heard it myself, but it does have a big of reputation for low-price CD unit.

20. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

In a later review of Denafrips Ares DAC Steve Guttenberg said he preferred it to a much more expensive Border Patrol SE

jcr64 likes this.
  21. waterclocker

I think I've given the 6000CDT enough time to settle in now, I'm probably nearing about 200 hours of run time on it after letting it run on repeat to break in some caps on other gear. I brought it up to my upstairs system to do a side by side with the CXC. The transports go into a MHDT Orchid with upgraded output caps, then into my Dennis Had LP-3a with Sylvania 6SN7, from there to my home built SE EL34 using top grade parts, and into my 8008-Corner speakers.

I immediately noticed some differences when starting this direct comparison. The differences are subtle, but once I played a few familiar tracks on both, I was able to notice the sonic signature on most others. The big shock was the difference I heard in Norah Jone's - Come Away with Me. This is one of my go to discs for comparisons. Her voice has many different facets and it's not hard to notice a difference if you are familiar enough with it. Going from the CXC to the 6000CDT, I noticed that her voice sounded thicker and the facets seemed less defined. The subtle breathiness and how it blended with her voice was less defined. Some of the facets seemed missing also, with voice sounding more 2 dimensional. This also translated to the various instrumentation in the tracks. Guitars and plucked strings were less vibrant and lively with the 6000CDT. To my ears, my single ended amp is exceedingly good at rendering harmonic details of various instruments and voices. When those details are reduced I feel less engaged in the music. What I get is a certain harmonic richness in the mids and treble that the CXC does a better job on. I noticed the bass more on the 6000CDT, maybe because of the other things missing though. Again, the differences are subtle and I don't think that the 6000CDT sounds bad, but I certainly prefer the CXC for serious listening. My wife also did a little back and forth comparison, but didn't notice the difference till I pointed it out. So, this is me nit-picking the details, but I do find the CXC a more enjoyable listen. I really wanted to like the 6000CDT more, but I think I'll be living with the previously mentioned quirks of the CXC till I can swing something like the Jay's Audio.

In summary, I think the CXC sounds more like good analog with better detail, liveliness, and flow to the music. I will likely sell the 6000CDT to fund my next purchase, but I may try comparing again with a different DAC, I should have a Topping D70 here soon. I wonder if the differences come down to the player or if there are other factors, like DAC sensitivity to jitter? The 6000CDT also has a buffer, maybe that has an overall effect on the sound? I'll be curious if anyone else does this comparison and what conclusions they come to.

Just a side note... I did play around with the Black Cat Silverstar! 75 mkII also. The differences compared to the Audioism SPDIF cable I ordered with the MHDT are far far more subtle than comparing the transports. It might take a while and be difficult to nail down any differences.

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Thanks you saved me money. One quirk of the CXC is no direct track access. I found the remote that came with my MF amp fills in here from the CD section (though not all buttons work). So CXC has more capabilities with a different remote.

waterclocker likes this.
  23. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

Thanks for the detailed writeup. I'm sorry the 6000CDT didn't work out better for you. It seems like you're using higher-end equipment than I have, so you may be able to discern differences that I might not hear (not that I have a CXC to compare with in any event).

The 6000CDT works very well for me; I'm quite pleased with the results I'm getting. As a general mater, I've been trying to fight the urge to chase after marginal differences, so at least on the transport front I'm likely to stay where I am.

waterclocker likes this.
  24. waterclocker

Nice! So, direct access works from the MF remote? That would be nice, I should check all my remotes on it. I wonder if there are any major consumer brand remotes that would match up?

25. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

The new CXCv2 retails for $599. Quite a price jump if the only difference is a new casework finish.