Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, Jul 12, 2019.

1. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

A few months ago I purchased a Schiit Gungnit Multi Bit DAC here in the classifieds. I listened to both the CD output from a full size Rega Apollo CD player and the same CD Rip via JRiver and my MacBook Pro to the DAC. The file sounded much better, I was perplexed, shouldn't they sound the same through the DAC? Then I noticed one of the lights on the front of the Gingnir was illuminated, it's a warning that the source is flawed and the DAC will be processing those 1's and 0's via it's Plan B process. OK I thought, let's hook up my Pioneer DV-79avi multi-disc player instead and try this again. Voila!, no illumination of the Gungnir's warning light and the file and CD playback now sounded identical. Why?....jitter, the Rega Apollo had too much. Had I not done this comparison I wouldn't have noticed of course, I think the Apollo is very pleasant player to listen to, but there you have it — jitter makes a difference!

BilboAlaska and mreeter like this.
  2. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Does it reclock the digital stream?

3. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I don't believe so...so I guess the differences I experienced between a Universal CDP and a Dedicated Transport are pretty much all in my head.

4. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

on the contrary: without reclocking different transports may sound different because of peculiar jitter patterns

5. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I guess I misinterpreted your original post. And yes, I guess any differences must be due to jitter.

6. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

For me the lack of outputs is a deal breaker, no bnc or XLR.
    Not a fan of RCA for digital.

Just my two cents, not a slam on anyone who owns one or has ordered one.

7. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

You’re absolutely right, but I think you have to get into the next level to find a Transport that has those features.

I’d love to own one of Jays Transports, but I just don’t enough CDs to justify that kind of commitment.

8. Hero

Hero Forum Resident

Going with the cxc. When I listen to the 6000cdt I feel like the sound is a bit bloated and lacking detail. It's interesting because I am very sensitive to high frequencies and prefer a more laid back sound, almost a bit rolled off. On my system the cxc is very detailed but the bass is also there 100%. It is actually a very balanced sound for me.

9. Hero

Hero Forum Resident

Now that I think about it the sound signature of the audiolab reminds me of the rega p3 with elys 2 cartridge. Very full bass and the soundstage is there but something is missing on top. It’s just not an engaging sound. One guys opinion.

displayname likes this.
  10. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

Hmm. I own (and love) the Rega P3/Elys 2. Maybe that's why I like the 6000CDT. :)

I actually now own both the CXC (in my living room system) as well as the 6000CDT (basement system). The CXC was irresistible at the closeout price. I haven't compared them directly yet, but I like them both.

displayname and mreeter like this.
  11. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I took delivery of one of these yesterday after having ordered one a while back and canceling. So far, I'm very pleased! The thing is built like a tank and looks very nice. I quite like everything about its aesthetic.

While I can't yet comment on sound quality differences having only played it for a few hours, I can say that I had two discs that my old player would not play properly. This thing plays them without issue, so from that perspective, I'm very pleased!

mreeter, Kray and jcr64 like this.
  12. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I think the build quality is impressive as well. I always prefer an "understated" look with my gear.

The real pay off is the sound quality, to my ears anyway.

Kray and Art K like this.
  13. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I was able to listen for about 9 hours today, and I really like this transport. Hard to articulate exactly what impact I think it has on the overall sound of my system. The music seems weightier — a bit more direct and lively. I feel like it’s a more natural sound. I also feel like the soundstage noticeably gained both height and depth.

Whether that’s an objective reality or this buyer’s subjectivity, who knows. But, I feel like it’s doing more justice to my Chord Qutest DAC.

I’m quite pleased with this addition to my system.

(I also like how, if you leave a disc paused for more than a few minutes, it stops automatically. That seems like a good feature to me.)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Kray, adamos, displayname and 2 others like this.
  14. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

I’m still finding this to be a game changing transport. This level of excellence is priceless in my opinion. Nice thread at AK about it as well.

Kray, Dignan2000 and mreeter like this.
  15. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I was in the market for a dedicated Transport, your Thread here and at AK is what pushed me over the edge. It's been a rewarding landing:righton:

Art K, Dignan2000 and jcr64 like this.
  16. ThomasTCG

ThomasTCG Member

If you are using a good DAC, say LKS, good digital cable, say Mad Scientist, good power cable say, Cullen, good pre say Tortuga, good amps say Transcendent Sound OTL 300B Pinnacle, good speakers say AudioNirvana 8 Neos in Oris horns and separate subs.. you will here all the fine differences you can imagine. Naturally.. a poor system cannot pick up any difference. I'll get a CDT 6K soon, my old one is tired.

17. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

The more I listen with this transport, the more I love it. And I’m listening a lot — I don’t want to stop! It really brings out the best of my DAC.

My only regret is that I didn’t buy one sooner. I just want to go through my CD collection and hear everything again through this transport. It’s a really exciting addition to my system.

Eigenvector, mreeter and Kray like this.
  18. brushwg

brushwg Forum Resident

As well as being a game changer is it also a ‘giant killer’ that ‘lifts veils‘ and has more ‘musicality’???

mreeter and Art K like this.
  19. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Has anyone compared this directly to an Onkyo C-7030 in terms of sound quality? I am currently running the Onkyo through a Bifrost 2.

20. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

It wouldn’t even be close. The Audiolab is a stellar transport.

21. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

@The Beave would probably be the best person locally to ask.
    He said he has one of these and also owned the "giant killer" Onkyo 7030. If my memory is correct.

displayname likes this.
  22. Hero

Hero Forum Resident

I have. The onkyo is excellent really. The cxc and 6000cdt are a little bit better. The 6000cdt will give you a slightly wider and more defined sound stage and greater sense of depth/space. Maybe some (not all) of your CD's will seem a bit warmer and less digital. That's it.

displayname likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Played through what? A CXC is better than old Teac VRDS transport I had that was around £600 over twenty yrs ago. 6000CDT may or may not be even better judging from the forum comments. CXC is the best CD sound I have had to date with a number of DACS. Currently through Sabre DAC in Oppo 205 (best so far). Tempted to try the 6000CDT if it is an upgrade on CXC.

24. Hero

Hero Forum Resident

I'm playing them through an NAD C388 with wharfedale floor standing speakers using the same toslink cable for comparison.

The 6000cdt is not an upgrade to the cxc at all. It just has a different sound.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Thanks. If I can hear a difference on the CXC then the 6000CDT is recommendable. I don't find the Cambridge especially bright as somebody commented earlier. It depends on the CD mastering more than anything else as far as bright or smooth is concerned. CXC is now only available in Lunar Grey so that might be a good reason for preferring the 6000CDT in Black or Silver.