Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Hero

Hero Forum Resident

It is just a different sound signature. If you feel like trying one then go for it. I recently purchased the cxc in black on clearance as an upgrade to the onkyo c-7030. I couldn't resist the temptation to try the 6000cdt as well. I kept the cxc. I do feel that it is a bit bright with some recordings but I found the audiolab to be sort of rolled off/lacking detail much of the time. The onkyo actually has a more detailed sound than the audiolab. The 6000cdt has a deeper and wider sound stage and a slightly less digitial sound than the onkyo. Some people would probably prefer the onkyo over the audiolab. The cxc is not perfect but I feel it is the best of the 3 overall in terms of sound quality. The cxc brings out a lot of detail that isn't there on the audiolab/onkyo, the background is also dead silent and the sound stage/depth is similar to the audiolab. The only fault is that it can sound bright with some recordings.

If you are comparing the remote/features that is a different story because the cxc is by far the worst of the three but I would like to mention that the slot loading mechanism on the audiolab is terrible. I keep reading these comments stating that it is fine but I completely disagree. It is loud and clunky and you really have to jam the disc in there before it starts to pull in the disc. I felt like I was going to damage the CD every time. Literally every single slot loading CD player I have ever used accepts the disc more smoothly. I have one in my car that is worlds better.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    displayname likes this.
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Thanks. If the loader is worse than a car unit then I won't even bother. Sounds like the Audiolab is masking a lot of detail if it smooths over bright sounding CDs. I have another remote (for my amp) that works with the CXC to give direct track access.

3. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I have an Onkyo 7030, but I’ve not used it as a transport. I can tell you that, while a good player, it does not compare to the combination of the Audiolab and Chord Qutest.

As for the loader on the Audiolab, I don’t share the concerns mentioned above. It makes a noise when grabbing the disc, but nothing extreme.

mreeter likes this.
  4. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I purchased my 6000CDT through Amazon, simply because of the ease of return if I wasn't satisfied.

Makes it pretty simple to compare these days.

I was putting it up against an OPPO UDP-203. I kept the 6000CDT.

Snargfarg and displayname like this.
  5. Hero

Hero Forum Resident

If you are using the rca out on the onkyo its dac doesn't compare to a high quality dedicated dac or amp. If you connect it via the optical out using it as a transport only it is almost as good as the audolab. Some recordings sounded better on the onkyo while others sounded better on the audiolab. The only consistent mark of quality I could hear with the audiolab over the onkyo was a deeper/wider sound stage and greater sense of space.

displayname likes this.
  6. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Those are the aspects that I have noticed with the Audiolab as well, particularly depth of soundstage.

Now I’m interested in going back and trying the Onkyo as a transport with my DAC.

7. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

CXC series 1 is still readily available from Crutchfield in black and silver for $400 FYI. I believe if you ask most Crutchfield dealers about Series 1 they can still get their hands on them.

8. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

See my post upthread.

displayname likes this.
  9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have a black one anyway but the discounted black and silver models appear to be sold out anywhere in UK (Richer Sounds have exclusive sale of Cambridge here). BTW there is no difference between series one or two apart from colour. CXC series 2 (Lunar Grey) is now £20 more than the Audiolab 8000 CDT. I don't see how the colour change blends into either black or silver components.

displayname likes this.
  10. displayname

Ah, I didn't think about the UK. Sorry about that. But I'd maybe still ask a local dealer if I was shopping for one. I know my local dealer was able to get a brand new one shipped from Cambridge earlier this year (in the past 2 months). I'd imagine if we can do that in the US that it might still be an option in the UK.

But if people want to keep it simple and just order online, the CDT6000 generally seems to be a worthwhile option.

11. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I had forgotten that I did use the Onkyo as a transport with a Schiit Modi 2 Uber for a while. That combination sounded pretty good. The Schiit DAC sounded better to me than the internal Onkyo DAC, but not by a huge margin. I think that sounded fairly similar to the much pricier Marantz CD player I used afterward.

The Onkyo is a great player for the price, and I still use it in a secondary system.

12. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Thank you for your reply!

13. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I've read where Cambridge changed the color of the CXC and some other components, to match their newer product line, the Edge Series.

Edge A

displayname likes this.
  14. displayname

Yup, all the CX Series 2 stuff is Edge colored now. The CXC and CXN are unchanged other than color and pricing, while the CXA61 and CXA81 received notable DAC upgrades. Maybe a couple other amp upgrades, but I think the DAC was the big story with the integrated amps.

mreeter likes this.
  15. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

although there’s “noise” on insertion it is dead silent on playback (which Is more important), but not sure about your difficulty inserting discs. It easily grabs the disc and sucks it in for me. I don’t have the problem you describe. here’s a video of mine

Halloween_Jack and moops like this.
  16. Hero

Hero Forum Resident

Dude your showing me the exact problem. You put the disc in more than 1cm and it just sits there you still have to push with significant pressure and finally the clunky rollers or whatever start yanking it in. Other slot loaders pull the disc in smoothly as soon as the disc is in the slot. If you like it that is all that matters bro.

17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

In the UK, you can go to Cambridge directly, or Richer Sounds who are their exclusive bricks and mortar retailer. There is a dealer I see on occasion on the Web but they have a steeper sales price on ebay. Best going either direct or to RS really.

18. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

Dude, Significant pressure? Jamming it in? I’m barely using my finger to guide the cd. There’s no significant pressure or am I jamming it in. I guess you’re definition is very different. I wouldn’t say that’s a “problem” it’s just not what you prefer

Halloween_Jack, ermylaw and mreeter like this.
  19. Hero

Hero Forum Resident

It doesn’t look like your barely guiding it in and I have used it myself and can confirm that you have to push the disc quite a bit. I’ve owned many slot loading drives in automobiles, computers, video game consoles, etc. and in my opinion it is the worst I have ever used. If you are fine with it enjoy.

20. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

I was using my Sony Blu-ray as a transport into my DAC but felt a dedicated player might be a better trick. Read the reviews of the audiolab and though a littel dubious that a transport could make that much difference I ordered one a few weeks ok. Have to say I am a convert now the audiolab is awesome.

moops, jcr64, mreeter and 3 others like this.
  21. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Also picked up one a few weeks ago and am very surprised at the improvement over the Onkyo C-7030 as both are being used with a Bifrost 2 DAC.

unclefred, jcr64, mreeter and 2 others like this.
  22. SlugTrail

SlugTrail Well-Known Member

Yes - the Audiolab is in a different league to the Onkyo.

23. aklac

aklac Forum Resident

Just recently retired my Marantz 8001 SACD player and replaced it with an Audiolab 6000CD transport and a MHDT Orchid DAC. Took out the GE Jan 5670 and replaced with a higher quality 1950's vintage GE 5670 and replaced the two MHDT 2 uF caps with 1 uF Mundorf's. Also removed the stock 1541 chip and replaced with a higher quality original Philips Listening through a pair of Harbeth 40.1's with this CD chain is revelatory-great depth of field, transparency, silky natural overtones(almost always listeneing to Classical music), great bass impact....all of which rivals my excellent vinyl setup. IMHO this is the economical approach(i.e. Audiolab-MHDT) to first class CD sound. The only limitation would be for someone who has an extensive collection of non-hybrid SACDs which cannot be decoded with this combo.

MayoStudenT, warp2600, Kray and 2 others like this.
  24. Alan Kilroy

Alan Kilroy Forum Resident

New member.
    Just bought an AL 6000CDT, however........ :), stocks are out and dealer will be resupplied early April. Grand, I can wait.
    Not upgrading from anything. Bought a CA CXA81 a few weeks ago and want to spin my CD's after about 20 odd years.
    What's a nice reasonably priced Toslink cable to go with it considering I bought a QED Performance Optical graphite cable for the CA? Same again?
    Cheers.

mreeter, jcr64 and Jimi Floyd like this.
  25. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

No useful cable recommendations from me, but congratulations on our purchase of the 6000CDT. I suspect you'll enjoy it a lot.

mreeter, Alan Kilroy and Jimi Floyd like this.