Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Alan Kilroy

Alan Kilroy Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Just got it yesterday and am playing CD's on a dedicated player (Transport :) ) for the first time in over 25 years ( had a 1987's Marantz).
    Was loading from an external CD drive to Macbook.
    I'm thrilled with the sound.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I changed from a decent optical to an Audioquest Cinnamon coaxial digital cable (from Cambridge CXC). Big improvement in sound.

If you still have the Marantz I suggest do some comparisons. I brought out an old CD 65 II SE a while back and was surprised how good it sounds. Less expansive sound but instrument placement in the middle of the soundfield is superior to the Sabre Dac in my Oppo.

Alan Kilroy likes this.
  3. Alan Kilroy

Alan Kilroy Forum Resident

How does "Random" work on the control please.......or does it?

4. Maeva971

Maeva971 Member

Hi, This is a very special CDT 6000! It was tweaked in terms of electronics (power supply ...) and there mechanical reading! The chassis has also been amortized at strategic locations and the icing on the cake, a digital output on XLR! :edthumbs:

5. Maeva971

Maeva971 Member

6. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

Interested in the same cdt, what do you use for a dac?

7. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Chord Qutest

8. Grahamstuartcanada

I have read great things about that dac but it is so far out of my range...
    :(
    Likely cdt and bifrost makes sense or maybe 6000cdt plus 6000n network player/dac...

9. Dignan2000

Dignan2000 Forum Resident

CDT and Bifrost 2 is a nice combination!

chalkpie likes this.
  10. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I bet that'd be awesome! Give it a shot.

chalkpie likes this.
  11. Grahamstuartcanada

12. vinylfilmaholic

vinylfilmaholic Forum Resident

Quick question everyone:

I currently have an Integra CDC-3.4 changer connected via coaxial to my Marantz NR1200. I’ve been considering upgrading to the Audiolab but am wondering if I’ll notice a difference in sound between the two into my receiver’s DAC? Keep in mind that a lot of the CDs I have now are hard rock/alternative stuff from the 90s-00s, so, not the most dynamic discs ever but it’s some of my favorite stuff and albums that will never get pressed on vinyl. Nor do I want them too, seeing how a lot of my favorites have been treated on vinyl in the past couple years.

I digress, should I stick with the Integra or sell it off to help fund an Audiolab?

13. Hero

Hero Forum Resident

After auditioning the audiolab and cxc I chose the cxc. Now after a few months of listening to the cxc I’ve decided that the onkyo c7030 (via its optical out) sounds better than either of them.

The cxc has detailed mids and highs and can pull some interesting details out of a cd. It can also sound thin and bright. Other times it has this sort of monotone lifeless quality to it like the dynamics are not there.

The audiolab has a very full sound and it does some interesting things with the soundstage. It sounds pretty rolled off and dull other times.

They onkyo has a more dynamic and balanced sound than either of them. It sounds good with all types of music. Its a much better daily driver in my opinion.

bever70 and displayname like this.
  14. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I picked one up 2 weeks ago and it does sound miles better than the ancient Marantz it replaced.
    It's plugged into a Denafrips Pontus with an Anticables coax.
    Very dynamic, balanced and non rolled off.

Alan Kilroy, bever70 and mreeter like this.
  15. Hero

Hero Forum Resident

The above post motivated me to connect the cxc via coax and I think it may sound better than it did via toslink. Too early to say for sure but I am just going to leave the c7030 and the cxc connected and use them both.

displayname likes this.
  16. Classicrock

The CXC does depend on cable used to connect to DAC and of course the DAC you are using. It certainly is not a bottleneck and saw of far more expensive CD players/transports (in their day). I have never found it to be thin and bright in my setup but I tend to avoid bright as opposed to detailed in anything I buy. Certainly never monotone and lifeless. I can't see how a component can be both bright and lifeless?

displayname and mreeter like this.
  17. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

I have a CXC which is connected to the CA amp via a Chord coaxial and the DAC is in the amp. Thought about getting an external DAC, but would that make much difference?

18. Classicrock

Depends on the DAC and how much you spend. I have heard the Cambridge DACs criticised for their forward presentation so sure you could improve your sound here. I'm pretty fed up with so many amps having built in DACs. Digital is better well separated and you will in most cases be able to buy a fairly cheap DAC that is as good or better than the built in one.

lwh1, warp2600 and Art K like this.
  19. Hero

Hero Forum Resident

In my limited experience cambridge gear has a distinct sound signature. It's a very neutral and pristine sound with an extra layer of sparkling detail in the upper mids and treble.

With certain types of music/recordings if the unit does not bring out the detail in the higher frequencies and the recording also doesn't have a lot of deep bass it sounds extremely flat and monotone.

For example Slayer's Divine intervention. Not a great recording and it sounds particularly terrible on the cxc. Monotone and lifeless. If you turn it up it hurts my ears. Same album on the c7030 sounds better because the onkyo has a more dynamic sound in the lower frequencies. There is more contrast.

If you've heard the expression stuck in the mud. The cxc can get stuck in the mids.

Same thing can happen with the CXA 80 amp. I had one for a minute and had the same issue at times.

Like listening to Sepultura's Arise through my air purifier.

vinylfilmaholic likes this.
  20. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I run my 6000CDT through a Schiit Bifrost 2 and the performance is fantastic with this combination.

chalkpie and Grahamstuartcanada like this.
  21. rockin_since_58

Interesting...I boxed up my C7030 and moved it to the garage after getting the 6000CDT. Guess I need to bring it back and do some comparisons.

Swann36 likes this.
  22. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

Very interesting. I'm certainly not going to argue with your personal perception--I have no doubt that you heard what you heard. As my comparison of the C7030 and the 6000CDT upthread suggests, however, yours is not a universal experience.

23. Grahamstuartcanada

I have an audiolab 8300a, and totem rainmakers... my current cd player cambridge azur 351c... (has drawer issues and sometimes doesnt read the disc the first time) sounds good- dont know if I will notice a big change with schitt and audiolab... but it is so finicky I am nearly done with the cambridge.

24. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

The Audiolab's only real quirk is that you may have to nudge the CD into the slot as it tries to take it in, other than that it gets an A+.

25. rockin_since_58

I also find the remote to be a little quirky. Sometimes I have to try multiple times to get a disc to eject.