Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, Jul 12, 2019.

1. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That was the first button I tried on mine and it worked fine.

2. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Just put new batteries in the remote and is working fine. I guess the ones it came with were weak.

3. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I never even noticed there was an eject button. Huh.

My minor gripe is that the player times out when you leave it on pause. That is probably a feature some people appreciate for some technical reason, but since I've been working from home and having to take calls, it is really annoying when it stops the disc after a period of time and I lose my place.

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  4. rockin_since_58

I hate this also :realmad:

5. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

When I first hooked mine up, I kept hitting the Power Button, and nothing was happening. My first thought was it was DOA. I finally caught on to the fact that the the Remote buttons are pretty sensitive, just a quick touch and things happen, hold down a button too long and it cancels itself out.

6. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Do these slot loading mechanisms mark the discs at all?

7. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Mine certainly hasn't, none that I can detect anyway.

8. rockin_since_58

I have had no issues with mine at all.

9. rockin_since_58

I think you are on to something here. Mine is much more responsive with a very light touch as well.

mreeter likes this.
  10. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I still lay a heavy finger on there once in a while, and it lets me know to lighten up:winkgrin:

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  11. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

12. Many people in Europe do quite well with English as a second language. To be sensitive tho I'd write a sessage in google translate it, translate it to German, & send an inquiry direct asking for English if possible.

https://translate.google.com/

13. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

No. It was my greatest reservation with buying this player because I have seen slot loaders that scratch discs.

However, the display on mine has gone wonky. It is only half lit (the bottom half) for 20 seconds and then fully lit for 10 seconds, always and ongoing as long as a disc is playing.. The dealer (Audio Advisor) acted like complete asses when I called them. It sounds better with the display off anyway but I would like it fixed. Audiolab’s U.S. distributor is supposed to call me next week. Sounds like a long process will ensue. The sound of this transport, is to my ears, second to none anywhere near it’s price. I bought another just in case. This time in black.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  14. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That is totally weird, mine acts fine but the display is much dimmer than I expected.
    Believe it or not one of the main reasons I wanted to get a transport is because my old Marantz CD5000's display has gotten so dim that you have to put your face about 2 inches from it to see the information, online scrounging for info on this did turn up a pattern for these players to have the diodes (I think) go bad and they just get ridiculously dim.
    The Audiolab I have is nowhere near THAT dim, just not bright as I had hoped.
    It's probably a perfect brightness level for a dark room, but I have a lot of light in the listening area, it's not an issue really.

15. Art K

Actually mine got dimmer over time and then....

16. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

How bright was it when you first got it?

17. Art K

It wasn’t real bright but it slowly dimmed. Tell ya truth, it sounds so damn good I’d buy it if it had no display at all. Just sayin’.

mreeter and ubiknik like this.
  18. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I do agree.

Art K likes this.
  19. Hero

Hero Forum Resident

I’m not trying to antagonize at all but I’m just saying... Onkyo c7030 display is plenty bright, the remote works great. It’s very user friendly. It plays scratched discs, mp3 cd’s and sounds slightly different but equally good as a transport for 129.00. I like how you can just press the eject button on the remote and the unit powers up and the slot is open before you even walk over to it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  20. rockin_since_58

I also have a C7030 and it is very capable but the 6000CDT is quite a bit better but it is more than 4 times the price plus requires a DAC. If my 6000 died, I could live with the Onkyo.

21. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

My general M.O. with regards to digital since I have a dac, is that I try to avoid equipment that has a dac built into it.
    That being said I would be all over this deck if:
    1. The CDT6000 went belly up.
    2. The Onkyo were available in silver.

22. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

The C-7030 was available in silver. The whole thing is moot, though, unless you go to the used market (where they are currently very expensive compared to their original retail price). Onkyo discontinued the C-7030 last year. Indeed, if you go to Onkyo's website (the US website, anyway), it appears that Onkyo discontinued all home audio equipment except for A/V receivers.

As I've written before upthread, I have both. I think the C-7030 was an exceptional value, but I also think the 6000CDT is better.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    mreeter and ubiknik like this.
  23. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

So I bounced over to Ecchbay and sure enough they are all preowned and over 300$ and up -but, they are also all from Japan -I see this with Marantz and Yamaha as well, all the silver faced stuff is Japan only, I have always found this type of color marketing totally annoying.

DigMyGroove and jcr64 like this.
  24. Hero

Hero Forum Resident

If you bypass the dac in the onkyo and use it as a transport it is really, really hard to say that its better. The audo-lab probably streams the data to your dac more accurately (practically inaudible). At the end of the day I think the audio-lab presents the sound a little bit differently than another player and if you like its tone than it is better if you don’t it’s not. I have a cxc connected to my system at the same time as the onkyo and I find that some recordings sound better on the onkyo. The difference in ‘’quality’’ is so small. The cxc is just the slightest bit smoother and cleaner. Barely noticable. There is more of a difference in the tone/presentation and some recordings do sound better on one player or another. Sometimes the onkyo is better.

25. chalkpie

chalkpie Forum Resident

I am very interested in this combo to replace my Rotel 951. Is this a better a choice for the DAC? Thx