Audiophile A/V Receiver; PIONEER VSX-D1S (1990/1993)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MacGyver, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident Thread Starter

PIONEER VSX-D1S (1990/1993)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVE REMOTE; CU-AV200

[​IMG]

i have owned a copy of this unit since 2003, and it is the ONLY component in my system that i have not upgraded from several times since then. there is a very good reason for that, too;

this is a capable two channel stereo receiver, with surround faculties added on, that is built to last, and to rival even a separates system. it can handle speaker loads from 2ohms to 16, and deliver 130wx2 continuous into two stereo channels. it possesses BASS, MID and TREBLE controls, in addition to a TONE DEFEAT mode. it has enough inputs to handle the majority of complex systems out there. it has a VERY GOOD PHONO preamp, with a variable gain control. in sum, this receive has it all, house in a neat and tidy handsome chassis. why PIONEER never made this the very first ELITE receiver, rather than the comparatively mediocre VSX-9900S/VSX-95, is beyond me, and a great loss to us all. this already magnificent audio component would have done nothing but benefit from the copper chassis, enhanced internal components, beautiful rosewood side panels and urushi lacquer front bezel that the comparatively undeserving VSX-95 benefited from. as it stands, it is still an amazing stereo amplifier that will handily run with the thoroughbreds. HIGHLY Recommended...

2. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Does this one have the Graphic User Interface?

My buddy purchased the most expensive Pioneer unit in 1993... I think it was a VSX-DS2, however. I remember him bringing it into work the evening he got it.

I think he paid more than two grand for it :(

3. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident Thread Starter

GUI in PIONEER A/V receivers started with the D2S, actually. there are three in this model series;

VSX-D1S (1990/1993)

VSX-D2S (1993/1994)

VSX-D3S (1995/1996)

still, the D1S is the only one of the three that was built to be a solid audiophile grade stereo component. the latter two models, follow in the vein of the Hi-Fi Stereo to Home Theater transitional model, the VSX-95; (9900S)
    a heavy emphasis on HT bells and whistles, to the ultimate sacrifice of the SQ. in sum, i consider the VSX-D1S to be the very best A/V Receiver PIONEER ever made, and the best PIONEER Stereo receiver since the 1970's...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.