Audiophile fuses or standard Bussman fuses ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundlabs, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Speed of sound vs humidity
    Room temp 20-24 dec C
    Humidity might vary 30-60 % in a conditioned home. Speed of sound variance is small.
    A few 0.1% max, <1 uSec delay
    And how can you tell sound is > 1 MHz slower?

[​IMG]

Agitater and Shawn like this.
  2. fish

fish Senior Member

Thats good to hear (pun intended), I got the Audience Outlet in the system and its blowing me away! Ran through a 75 song playlist i know well a coupe of times. Granted I replaced an old crappy outlet from the 70s... but at times there were hairs standing on the back of my neck. I was not expecting That much of a difference! Just Wow. These have a low break-in period and its said to be subtle, they are basically broken in by Audience before they ship.
    Its only powering the DAC then a juicebar for an airship, router, a light.
    Everything improved. Deepter/tighter bass and mid-bass. The Soundstage is larger in all directions, sharper and more focused. Any shrill ive heard from pushing for detail and nuance is gone! Audiophile-sounding but also musical.

The other outlet is a Hospital grade ($40) type which showed improvement over the old one. But the jump with the Audience is dramatic.

Im ordering another one or two of these for the rest of the system. There are only 3 outlets on a dedicated 20amp circuit.
    I was considering the SR Orange outlet... they are said to have more bass weight which I don't really want. Want what this Audience is giving up. Soundstage and focus, tightness.
    People like the Furutech GTX-D NCF too at $250.

What Outlets are you using?

3. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

I have a Audioquest Edison in one spot for 2 years. Awhile ago I bought a Cardas outlet. It's in another spot on the same decated line. I definitely like the Cardas outlet over the Audioquest Edison.

4. fish

fish Senior Member

you may like the Audience Outlet in your system. The guys over at TheCableCo always give the best advise based on experiences and on other peoples. Been listening to him for years! He highly recommended the Audience over all others except the SR Orange which he said nearly every one he's ever sold were raved about by the buyers. He said they are more transparent and focused than the Cardas I was interested in too, based on buyers comments (and returns). I think I'll try the SR Orange then move onto Fuses.

5. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

That outlet is rhodium plated. I tried the Furutech dtx outlet. I didn't care for it. But a friend I gave it to loves it. I thought about the SR orange outlet. But sense they came out with the purple fuse, I think they will come out with a purple outlet soon. So I'll wait and see if the SR company comes out with a purple outlet. If so I'll buy one of them.

6. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

So the massive pseudo-science babble here Purple Fuse - Synergistic Research with UEF, graphene, and multi-stage high voltage treatment - and they still take (apparently) 200 to 300 hours "settling in". Today physicists understand...pseudo-science blah blah :magoo:

Agitater likes this.
  7. Just Walking

So what happens if you put two purple fuses in series? Do you get double the effect? What happens if you put them in parallel? Or put in a Bybee Quantum Slipstream device in addition to a purple fuse?

So many games to play with products that bandy around the word "quantum" like they actually know what that means.

Agitater, timind and vwestlife like this.
  8. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

So you've listened to them and heard no difference?

9. fish

fish Senior Member

HAHAHA. Hes Out Of His Mind too!
    I think it's funny, his marketing. The truth is boring. He listens to lots of wire and tries different things to them. He jolts them with Insane voltage, freezes them. Whatever. They always sound better than most - go figure. Thats all I care about. Someone did their job! Thank you.

10. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

I have no idea about the SR outlets. I only tried their orange and purple fuses. There is a big difference between the two. The purple is worth the $40 extra. Between the Audioquest Edison outlet and the Cardas outlet, prefer the Cardas outlet. The Cardas gives a more lively character to the sound quality. I believe the Audience outlet would give a cleaner and very noticeable impact to the sound quality dynamics. Let it settle into your system and it'll be great.

COBill likes this.
  11. Just Walking

I'm more interested in listening to music than spending a shed load of money on something marketed using pseudo-science that could come from a random sentence generator. The thing I can't get is that after all the quantum nonsense and all the treatments listed - it then takes 200-300 hours to burn in!

The fickle nature of human senses was illustrated by Edwin Land, the founder of Polaroid. The Retinex theory and practice of human vision means that given a multicoloured scene, the eye/brain normalises the colours you see independent of overall colour cast. Color constancy - Wikipedia

The ear/brain interface works in a similar way, in that it is impossible to hear a slow progressive change in sound over 300 hours of listening any more than you could tell if a coloured scene slowly shifts slightly in colour cast over a similar time.

Agitater, timind and brockgaw like this.
  12. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

Sorry you are a non- believer. But it's all true. Uts a neat thing to experience. But it's not for all.

13. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

Ok, Have to add my 2 cents here, take it for what it's worth.
    I don't have a dog in this fight and couldn't care less about fuses or digital cables or whatever. (apologies to dog lovers, I don't condone this)

What exactly is all true? Unless I missed something, you say that fuses make a difference but provide no evidence to back it up.
    Now it's "all true?"
    You can have as many opinion's as you want, but I think you are confusing your opinion with fact.
    While you're entitled to your opinion, you can't have your own facts.

Agitater, wgriel, timind and 3 others like this.
  14. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

The burn in of cables and fuses have a burn in period of at least 100 hours or more. New gear has about the same length of burn in. It's a fun thing to experience. I have heard it with many different cables and fuses. Ask anyone that has owned Morrow audio cables. They can say it's a true thing. This is a fact !

15. Ingenieur

facts are objective
    everyone agrees

Opinion is subjective
    Few, or at most half, agree

Agitater, timind, vwestlife and 2 others like this.
  16. Just Walking

My belief system is clearly different to yours. My belief is that something that makes such a radical difference in sound quality can be measured.

17. fish

fish Senior Member

Thanks. Yes there are distinctive "flavors" that suite different systems for better synergy for sure. My system is naturally rich and robust so more lively and transparent with little coloration in bass is best suited for me. One friends system is rather opposite and wants more bass weight.
    I know someone that just ordered the Audience outlet and an SR Orange duplex. He also has a pre-order in for the new SR Purple Outlet thats shipping soon, apparently. No price yet.
    I need to have some patience and wait and listen first for his opinions.

what differences did you notice with the platings? Rhodium vs gold or raw copper?

18. Ingenieur

Things like this should not require faith or belief.

Agitater likes this.
  19. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

I have used all the types. Gold, Rhodium, Copper and silverplate connectors. And also the same in the ac outlets. Gold plating veils the sound. Rhodium plating is similar to silverplating, but the rhodium plating gives a shinny top end and a restricted bottom end. It has a nice midrange touch. The Copper has a warm fuzzy sound to it. It rolls off the high end. The silverplating on them gives the sound a more natural sound. But it takes a long time to burn in just like the rhodium plating. Not for the Cardas outlet it's Copper base with silverplating and a very thin rhodium plating over the silverplating. Now this type of plating is very different than all the others. It gives a hint of the nice midrange the rhodium gives. But leaves the silverplating do its natural thing.

20. Just Walking

But the base material of an RCA or power connector is brass or phosphor bronze. Ever stopped to think about that?

21. Ingenieur

Are you saying a thin plating alters the frequency response in different bands?
    What is the difference between Cu and Ag?
    Or Au and brass?

the geometry of the connector is far more important since R = p L/A
    p = resistivity

Rh is 0.43 x 10^-7 Ohm-m
    Higher than Cu at 0.17 x 10^-7

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  22. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

The material under the connectors are red copper. And the George Cardas uses his own copper. Sorry I don't have any charts to show you how they sound.

Agitater likes this.
  23. fish

fish Senior Member

Yeah, the brass outlets in my current home installed in the 70's don't sound all that good in comparison. The Audience is purpose built, copper core plated with Rhodium. The AQ NRG Edison is Beryllium-Copper Base silver platted I believe, the Furutech GTX-D NCF is Rhodium-plated Copper. Unfortunately many of the others are just hospital-grade outlets rebranded and modified in some way (yeah, with pixie dust sprinkled on top for good measure). They sure do sound better than anything from home depot or Ace hardware.
    Maybe someone needs to develop a piece of equipment to measure exactly what it is that makes them sound different. Id imagine that would cost tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars and resources of thousands but its worth it. Don't you think?

toasty likes this.
  24. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

All the hanging silverplated Audioquest stuff starts with there red copper base metal.

25. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

I have the test equipment and so do most of us here. It's are ears.