Audiophile fuses or standard Bussman fuses ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundlabs, Mar 15, 2019.

1. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

What is red copper? I can find no information on different copper type. Copper (atomic symbol Cu) is copper. The color does not matter? Or does it? Red, green and blue, with pink for a softer more feminine sound?

timind likes this.
  2. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

Its a secret that Audioquest knows. If you must know send them your question. Red copper seems to be there go to copper. They also use purple copper. Send your questions to them. I did and I got a answer. Its to technical to type out here.

3. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Copy and paste
    Take a screen shot and upload the pic

We gotta see their explanation!
    Please!

Agitater and timind like this.
  4. fish

fish Senior Member

They use a beryllium-copper base.

5. Ingenieur

I googled red copper and all that came up was pots and pans?

resistivity
    0.5 x 10^-7 Ohm-m
    3 x Cu

the alloy is made not to enhance electrical properties but for other reasons
    Hardness
    Non sparking tools, hazardous locations
    Less magnetic

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  6. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

I get it. It is a marketing term like Chrysler made up "Cordovian Leather" for their interiors. This thread has become a "faith based" one, when the human ears are regarded as test equipment and we are asked to become "believers" to understand. "So brothers and sisters I offer you the cult of Purple. Drink the purple Kool-Aid and see the truth. The now departed "Purple One" is waiting to take us to Paisley Park where all ears are linear from 20-20K with perfect sensitivity to every sound. Age, genetics and environment no longer will be factors. Drink deep and trust your ears. "

7. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Apparently it's also a hair color:) The pots do look nice though.

Ingenieur likes this.
  8. fish

fish Senior Member

yes spring tension and delivers low impedance.

9. Ingenieur

It's 3 x higher R than pure Cu.

On plug contacts that are operated frequently it may be an advantage. Durability for loss of conductivity (moot) may be a good trade-off.

10. GungaLagunga

GungaLagunga c̶r̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ lunch time

Hope you readers like golden showers, because this is a pissing match!

Weber likes this.
  11. GungaLagunga

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  12. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

I bet (offers an opinion) that the box for that fuse (above) costs more than the fuse.

timind likes this.
  13. GungaLagunga

You don't know (fact).

14. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

This is getting good. Yes the ears tell all. And mine are telling me the non-believers are out in full force now.

15. GungaLagunga

Here's what the link above says/claims:

"...fuse dramatically increases the impedance from 0.2 ohms to 10 ohms at 10 MHz, thus increasing high frequency noise-rejection fifty fold over that of a conventional fuse. As a result of this increased noise rejection, one can hear delicate extended high frequencies formerly swallowed up in noise."

16. fish

fish Senior Member

The ones I heard use pure high quality copper Rhodium coated. Not Brass. Audience, SR and others then subject the metal to Ultra High Currents with alternating patterns. They claim these varying processes change the conductive lattice throughout the material reducing electron scatter and producing greater signal preservation. We NEED an instrument to detect this! Besides our Ears.

I can say based on listening to over a hundred well know and currently enjoying tracks that there is a dramatic difference in the entire sound presentation and very much for the better.
    Better than the old brass outlet, better than a $40 Hospital grade outlet from Home Depot. More dramatic change than $300-$700 Interconnects or speaker cables.

I may draw the line here. The circuit wiring is 20 amp and in good condition. Its a rather short run to each of the 3 outlets to the breaker box and there is a new high quality 20 amp breaker. Maybe one day I'll replace the wire and add a sub-panel for that circuit. But you have to draw a line somewhere! Some do so at the poll with a dedicated power service. Cant go any further than that, the line turns into a brick wall. The Wall outlet was dramatic enough. I'll move onto fuses next then ring around and replace the weakest links.
    Why? You may ask?
    Because if i don't this ceases to become a "hobby"

Weber likes this.
  17. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

That is exactly right fish. Its a hobby. And for some it's a chase for the best sound we can get to. Getting there is only a matter of money and time. And money is short and time is long.

18. Ingenieur

Are we still talking about a power fuse in audio equipment at the end of 100 miles of T & D, xfmrs, panels, Romex, etc. ?

effective system Z:
    Transmission V 345 kV
    We draw 5 A at 120 or 120/345,000 x 5
    0.00117 A at 345 kV
    Z = 345000/0.0017 = 198 MOhm
    198,000,000 Ohm
    The fuse is 0.02 Ohm
    And the difference between fuses, 0.001 range

198,000,000 vs 0.001
    How much influence could it have?

Just Walking likes this.
  19. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

"Money is short and time is long". Laughs till it hurts. Money in most of our lives is obtained by trading our life's time in exchange for it. I see the quoted statement and wonder if you be able to say the same when you are past the 75th year as I am? Money is plentiful and time is short. Happy Holidays and cheer to you all.

Roger C and timind like this.
  20. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

I'm 63 now. I hear you on that. I just retired so the money has to last me till at least 75 for me. I'm sure I'll see things differently by then. I have seen things change in the the year I didn't think would.

Roger C likes this.
  21. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

What difference does the impedance at 10 MHz make when the fuse will only ever have 50 or 60 Hz AC power running through it?

timind likes this.
  22. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

I don't know this one. But for some reason the audiophile type fuses make things in the gear work and sound much better. I not a EE guy. I'm a hobbyists in audio. I only look for things that make my system sound better than but big dollar gear.

23. timind

timind phorum rezident

Hard to imagine a less reliable piece of "test equipment" than the human ear. Using the human ear as a pick up device and the brain to process and evaluate the information is a recipe for faulty evaluation.

Agitater and Just Walking like this.
  24. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

As I've said before - remove the magic purple fuse and substitute a regular dollar fuse. Please report what the AQ result is.

Agitater likes this.
  25. timind

timind phorum rezident

After waiting for the 200-300 hour break in of course.

wgriel likes this.