Audiophile fuses or standard Bussman fuses ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundlabs, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Tajo1960

Tajo1960 Tajo = tayo (tata, dad ~ in slang)

I have not changed any fuse anywhere in this system. If I started to change, I would have a lot to change. Quality fuses are not cheap. It would be quite a cost :( I need to think a little more and gather the experiences and opinions of other users.
    Is there a change in Parasound?

2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I haven't changed the fuse in my Parasound amp, and there's no externally-accessible fuse for the P 7 preamp. So my Analysis Plus power cord will have to suffice on the preamp ...I have a Shunyata Venom3 on the amp, seems good.

I do think it's POSSIBLE changing the mains fuse in your amp will make a positive difference, of course I can't say for sure. I haven't "worried" about all the fuses in my whole system. But in that one case (C220 preamp) I did have some success in (IMHO) improving the sonics. I've read at least one 'report' about improved sonics for the A 21 amp, so decided to give it a try. The 'SilverStar' is a mid-level tweak, about $30, so inexpensive enough just to try. I read that the $100 'deluxe' version (whatever it's called) made what is to me an undesirable change. So we'll see what happens in a few days or weeks. I want to move my speakers around, and possibly try some other tweaks before changing the fuse.

HiFi- Tuning Fuses are what I chose from, I don't know the supplier situation in Croatia. Hopefully these or other "reasonably" priced ones are available there. I got a SilverStar slow blow version, was $24 "on sale" from normally $60 ...

PS/Edit: dang, of course they don't seem to have the 'cheaper' 6.3A 5x20 slow blow (which I think is what you'd want for an amp). They do have the $100 version ... maybe a less expensive alternative is available somewhere else. I don't know if I bookmarked the 'reviews' that discussed the sonic changes, they're around somewhere.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    Tajo1960 likes this.
  3. Tajo1960

I am in Croatia, Europe Union. It is not a problem to find an alternative to SilverStar. For example the brand - HiFi-Tuning. Germany, Poland, France ... there are good fuses everywhere. Prices are almost uniform.
    The problem is I can’t try without buying. And that’s a situation we don’t want, no one. It is always better to have a trial of a few days and then decide.
    Honestly, I didn't even look for it in Croatia, because it is generally more expensive than in the rest of the EU. Unfortunately.
    Now I see that you mentioned HiFi-Tuning :) popular brand :) If I decide, I will take their model, probably from Germany.

Denizen23 and Rick58 like this.
  4. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Er, no...... l was unaware there are five in there- whereabouts?:)

Tajo1960 likes this.
  5. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

I don't **** about with fuses. But, for reference, I keep a stash of Bussman plug fuses and the smaller case fuses. I also turn my class A amp off when not in use (well, technically I put it into standby) but mainly for reasons of power consumption and capacitor longevity.

Tajo1960 likes this.
  6. Tajo1960

Yes, there are 5 pieces in it.
    The device contains: 4 pcs. F10 A / 250V (6.3 x 32)
    and outside (main fuse): 1 pcs. T6.3A / 250 V (5 x 20).
    I don’t know if it’s usually common for some other integrated amplifiers to have a total of 5 fuses, but the Vincent SV-237 has.
    This would mean over € 300 replacement cost with, for example, Hi-Fi tuning models ...
    It's a lot of money :( it's hard to decide on such a replacement step.

Rick58 and Andy Saunders like this.
  7. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

When it comes to fuses I want good ones like Bussman or Littlefuse. After all, they are there to protect my expensive gear.
    Would you buy a condom from one of these company's that pedal the fuse snake oil because they said it was better? That's used for protection to.

BillWojo

8. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

May take a look when l next take the hood off to change valves- fascinated as l do not recall seeing any fuses last time l took the lid off. ( Not that l was looking for them.):)

9. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Maybe I am silly or gullible, it’s my prerogative, but I trust that the Silverstar fuses at least, which have been sold for many years, at least work properly as a fuse. I also claim the right to hear what I (think I) hear, and if I think it sounds better with a silver fuse then that’s the end of the conversation. I don’t have to justify it or explain it with electronics theory or calculations to anyone.

Not meaning to be argumentative or anything, that’s just the way I see things. It’s my money, I have the right to spend it as I see fit. If engineers and naysayers don’t believe they make a difference, that’s fine.

I have actually only done this in one case, one piece of equipment, and I found that the mains fuse made a difference and the internal fuses did not. The amount of money spent was not sufficient to be worrisome. Yes it was $150 or something, but the preamp they went into retailed for $4000. So it’s a very small fraction of the overall price.

I do have another Silverstar fuse to try and my A 21 amplifier. I won’t be doing that for a few weeks. I have read positive comments on using one in this amplifier. So we’ll see what I think about it. $30 is not worth worrying about as far as cost goes. I’m just curious about the effects on the sound. It’s easy enough to swap in and out a couple of times to see if a discernible positive change occurs. No it’s not going to be double blind or even single blind or whatever, but I don’t care. :rolleyes: :cool: :D

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    C10 and Tajo1960 like this.
  10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I've gone to some lengths in my main system to optimize its performance-it's all
    "high-end" gear-- I use good cables, I roll tubes, I've gone to some expense to isolate the turntable effectively and played with equipment positioning; like most people who are committed to vinyl, I've also gone to some trouble to set up the arm/cartridge.
    For some reason, having nothing to do with whether there are sonic improvements to be gained from "audiophile fuses" I guess I just drew a mental line in the sand. I've read anecdotal reports about improvements by using different fuses and cannot dismiss them out of hand because I have not experimented with them. Therefore, I won't call them snake oil.* But, I still won't cross that bridge for some reason. And, perhaps it is because I am OCD enough about all this stuff, I dunno.
    *For what little it may be worth, I do have a Schumann generator from Acoustic Revive and can hear the difference. I actually prefer listening without it. So, it's not like I'm a "show me the measurements or it doesn't exist" kind of guy.

Rick58 and Tajo1960 like this.
  11. Tajo1960

Do you know when the fuses in the devices are changed? When the audiophile is at the level of "I have nothing more to improve now, let's play with fuses" :) Then you will think "what would happen if ...".
    $ 50-80-110 will not be the "end of the world".
    It is logical that if someone has a quality device (amplifier, cd player, DAC), they will not expect miracles from changing fuses. Of course not.
    The changes it can get cannot be of the "night / day" type. Small, tiny, but audible - yes.
    Some try to show that the changes are big, but, I doubt it. Small changes to a better sound - yes, OK, I agree, but big changes - no. Not at all!
    Because if a fuse makes a huge change - then we need to ask ourselves - what kind of device is it, not a fuse :)

Rick58 likes this.
  12. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Many years ago I bought some used interconnects with a wall wart DC bias power supply. I found that I liked the sound better with the power supply disconnected. I think they’re still good quality interconnects. They are synergistic research looking glass phase 2. One of the few parts I have bought used, from usedcable.com. I think they were less than half of the original price. Still somewhat expensive, I think possibly $400.

I use them with my Sony UBP X-1100ES player. I’m not going to bother getting silver fuses for that or any other equipment though.

Tajo1960 likes this.
  13. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

Audiophile fuses = dollars out of pocket.

vwestlife, Zokinjo, BillWojo and 2 others like this.
  14. tomd

tomd Senior Member

how the heck do you know?

15. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Sorry I call BS on fuses.......

Ilusndweller likes this.
  16. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Please post a single scientific article on cryo schmyro and how it can be used to improve sound. Thanks!

17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Nothing in the AC electrical chain makes any difference unless you are running a dozen power tools all running off the same extension. All the good stuff (its actually pretty standard fare) takes place inside the audio device itself. It just works out of the box as designed 99.99% of the time. Adding stuff to the electrical chain is just adding to say Audioquests profits.

But if you 'think' it makes a difference' fine. That's great. Or did the hi-fi reviewer who has a $30000 system that is transformed buy swapping out a (in reality) 0.20c component convinced you?

Makes you wonder how bad their system was in the first place really...:D

18. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

My Synergistic Research Red Quantum designer audiophile fuse transformed my Jolida Fusion preamp. Just more of everything, bass, mids, highs, clarity, soundstage, presence, liquidity, color, blackness, weight, height, snap, pace, timing, rhythm............then I woke up. :D The Fusion actually has this fuse in it as it came with the preamp when I bought it. Does it make a difference? Da!#ed if I know...or care.

MikeMusic and Rick58 like this.
  19. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

Common sense

daglesj and Tone? like this.
  20. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

imo based on my limited understanding the power fuse is the LAST to change. It is in series with miles of line, dozens of xfmrs, CB's, home wiring, connections, etc. How much influence can it have? It is not in the signal path.

Start with the ones carrying the smallest signal.

I am not saying they make a difference, but that is far more prone to impact.

21. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

The weakest link of a fuse isnt even part of the fuse itself, but rather its interface with its holder.

Personally, Id take el cheapo fuse but with an applied surface treatment/contact enhancement over whatever synerbullshizzle beeswax organic rippoff. I might be biased as I used to do surface science in the interfacial processes department. But if your amp is opened up, it never hurts to "jostle" the fuse and create some fresh metal-metal bonds, or remove and clean.

Ingenieur likes this.
  22. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I pull mine
    Fine steel wool the contact areas, lightly
    Pinch the holder to make them a bit tighter
    Clean with contact cleaner
    Recently Stabilant
    Done

Every couple of years is plenty
    Fuses deteriorate over time, many years
    They get hot, that is how they work
    I might put a new one in tomorrow, just a standard Bussmann. My amp has 1 fuse.
    12 years never changed

Ilusndweller likes this.
  23. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

This should help anyone on the fence on fuses. Simply take the mains fuse out and clean it with Caig detoxit and progold finish with an Alcohol wipe, polish to a shine put back in and take a listen. If you hear an improvement? Get to fuse rollling asap!

24. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

You don't even need the rip-off deoxit wipes, A good rub with a soft cloth/kitchen roll alone gets plenty of tarnish off. Some ordinary silver polish and a final wipe will do the rest if you want to go that far.

Audiofan1 likes this.
  25. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

Of course they are dollars out of pocket unless you are planning to shoplift them.

They can also do wonderful things for sound quality, depending upon the gear involved.

Are they worth the money? Depends upon your system and your listening preferences; personally I find power cables to make a bigger difference than fuses.

Audiofan1 likes this.