Audiophile fuses or standard Bussman fuses ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundlabs, Mar 15, 2019.

1. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Translation - "I've spent thousands on power filtering and power mods and spent hours convincing myself and more importantly, the wife they do make a difference...I think! Please guys...help me out here!"

:D

2. 2voltage

2voltage Member

I myself definitely can hear huge improvement on hiend fuse. They even have different sound signature, especially SR fuse. They do sound different between the black, blue, orange…

3. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Tried SR Reds and they made a big difference
    At the time I think I had Rega Isis, Technics deck, Belles Pre and Monos

Now I have a single SR Red into an Audio Magic conditioner with US (no fuse) sockets
    Legal in the UK

Andy Saunders likes this.
  4. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

No fuse will sound the best, so just bypass it. Problem solved!

timind likes this.
  5. Tajo1960

Tajo1960 Tajo = tayo (tata, dad ~ in slang)

Should we put a nail in the slot? :)

6. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

No, I've spent thousands on power filtering and power mods and it took about five seconds to hear the drastic improvement made by each.

No need to justify anything - drastic improvements worth every penny or I wouldn't have purchased them.

With all these tweaks, dealers will always allow you to try a demo or provide a refund, so there's no need to keep anything that doesn't do what you want it to (I have demoed many tens of thousands of dollars, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars of gear I did not buy because I didn't like how they sounded.)

MikeMusic likes this.
  7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Of course.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  8. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Fuses are above all else about protection. I simply don't trust the audiophile fuses to protect my gear and the one time I tried a SR Blue fuse I couldn't hear any difference. It's all stock fuses for me - specified by the manufacturer.

timind, Shawn and daglesj like this.
  9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Exactly. I don't want something someone 'who thinks they know what's best' overriding the specs and standards of stuff that works a specific way for a reason.

Maybe we need Audio Science Review to test a load of them and see if they A. make any difference (I doubt it) and B. they are up to safety specs.

It's good that highly accurate digital testing equipment is now available to mere mortals to actually test this stuff so we don't have to take the word of say Audioquest for granted. I have to say much of the findings so far are disappointing. Especially if you have invested a lot in the 'wrong end' of your system.

timind and Shawn like this.
  10. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

I ordered the new SR Purple fuse. I tried the SR Orange fuse two years ago. I didn't care for it. Their 30 day money back refund does work. All I had to was pay for return shipping. The audio grade fuses do make a change in the gear. I'm using the Acme silver fuses in my dac, cdp and amp. They definitely step up the pace of the music. One guy in our club has a Purple fuse in his tube pre-amp. It replaced a Orange fuse. He says it makes the Orange fuse sound like a stock glass fuse.

11. Tajo1960

Tajo1960 Tajo = tayo (tata, dad ~ in slang)

2 months ago I changed 3 fuses in my system. 1 main in the amplifier and 1 in each speaker. Now there are Hi-Fi Tuning models, Ag models.
    The sound difference is not drastic, of course. It exists, but it is small. I felt the biggest difference when I listened to some BluRay concerts that became cleaner and better defined. I have a feeling that the bass also got more on fine definition and got a little deeper than before.
    Maybe I would notice a bigger difference in everything if I changed all the fuses in the system. But my amp has 7 fuses. It's a lot of money :( Not to mention other components ...

12. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Gonna add fuse sockets in all my equipment to take advantage of these hifi fuses.

elvisizer, timind and Dale A B like this.
  13. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

I'm holding off for an expensive dedicated audiophile fuse burn in machine to come on the market.
    I'm told 500 hours is when they really come into their own.

timind, vwestlife and Ilusndweller like this.
  14. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

So purple is the new orange?

SynerDoucheTools site is full of sooooooo much BS.

Show me the science behind the cable cooker. :biglaugh:

timind likes this.
  15. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

We don't need no stinkin' science.
    Trust your ears and fork over your credit card number.

Gibsonian, timind and Ilusndweller like this.
  16. Ilusndweller

People with strong (physical)science/engineering backgrounds dont buy into the nonsense bc they know better. Others not so much.

Note: I do believe that a small % of people with superior ears and systems can hear differences in cables.

IMHO burn-in is BS in the case of stereo cables(nothing getting much warmer than room T).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    timind likes this.
  17. fish

fish Senior Member

Unfortunalty its a BIG Yes! And its one place Ive avoided, trying to draw a line but ive succumbed to it.

And they DO! I have found manufacturers that use audiophile grade fusses in their gear and in some cases there are different fuses to choose from.

They have a great selection here: Fuses - Accessories

18. fish

fish Senior Member

there is no science understood worth investigating.
    They make some of the best sounding Everything. They listen with their ears.

19. harby

harby Forum Resident

Fuses are designed to be a weak link in the power supply.

Making the fuse transmit current worse is more important, see below.

Sure. See R1 in the power supply filter below. Replace it's resistance with an equivalent bunch of fuses.

[​IMG]

Otherwise, guess what: you fell for it.

Bump an old thread with a product plug? Wait until you experience the pace and timing of just bypassing and soldering the AC mains wire to the other side of the fuse.

Gibsonian, timind and vwestlife like this.
  20. Ilusndweller

And add unnecessary fuses (thus creating unnecessary micro-arcing and Eddy currents) to their power cables to create a cable "perfectly tailored to an individuals tastes".

And dont even think about turning your stereo on for 10 days with a new SynerDoucheTool power cable, lest you screw things up!

DoucheTool finds a new "secret source" of the same purity silver he was previously using and suddenly performance improves by leaps and bounds(and cost jumps by $5k). But heh, whatever floats ones boat.:biglaugh:

timind likes this.
  21. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

22. edd2b

edd2b Forum Resident

I found that some equipment sound quality is sensitive to fuse ratings. This is more apparent with twin core mains equipped from the east or generally more budget gear. I prefer the sound of 5A fuses over the standard 3A supplied with Japanese cassette decks for example. My Nakamichi’s sound smoother with 5A, but more forward and sparkly with 13A, so I might change the fuse depending on the recording I am trying to make.
    With 3 core mains, if they are not captive plugs, I prefer to use MK plugs which have larger contact area circular screw down clamp for wire endings. I often polish off the tin coating at the fuse ends hoping that this improves the flow, I also silver solder the bare wire ends of power leads into the plug to stop them fraying or oxidising. Then I regularly polish the plug pins and internal contacts with Duraglit. It’s cheaper than buying expensive rhodium plated plugs.

I use a True Colours 6 way mains block and lead, which does make a noticeable improvement on background mains hash. ;)

23. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

UK electrical regs are odd, compared to most of the world
    You can legally get around all those fuses by having a US or European style block.
    Fuse to the block. Plugs to the kit don't take fuses.
    Internal fuses are still there

24. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Ingenieur likes this.
  25. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

jeff kleinberg likes this.