Audiophile Level Rock Albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by adidino, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Many of the albums sound really good, but audiophile? Never!!!

2. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Yes, but you MUST have the correct pressing. ANY label with the clouds and blue sky background IS NOT cut from the master tape on the first two Eagles releases. Look for the White label with the small oval window showing the "Gates of Heaven." The sound will knock you out.

Also, for a great Classic Rock Audiophile experience, try Fleetwood Mac's 1975 Self-titled release. You must see "Kendun" and "POGO" in the runout groove. Trust me, the sound is as big and bold as it gets. A true demo disc.

3. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I have absolutely no idea what you would consider "audiophile-level", but I was referring to his last two solo albums, in particular...

jkoponen likes this.
  4. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Rage Against the Machine - S/T
    Chili Peppers - BSSM
    Outkast - Aquemeni
    Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
    White Stripes - Ickey Thump
    Pink Floyd - Animals (UK Pressing)
    T. Rex - Electric Warror (UK Pressing)
    The Clash - London Calling (UK Pressing)
    Cat Power - The Greatest
    F. Mac - Rumours 45 RPM
    John Frusciante - The Empyrean

This list could get very long....

Twinsfan007, havenz, Drekow and 5 others like this.
  5. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

+1 for Ghost in the Machine.

I already loved the music - was blown away when I got the vinyl.

VinylPhool and riknbkr330 like this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Love the album but this would be a very liberal use of the "rock album" label.

I have an original pressing but I have also seen a MOV (music on vinyl) pressing. I would like to hear it as far as comparison, if its better I would buy the $50.

7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Lindsey Buckingham "Out of the Cradle"

Macman, Mark E. Moon and JLGB like this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

My vote is it was something with Knopfler. I think some guys just "get" the studio environment and are more forward in managing that process vs. just the content. He strikes me as the kind of guy that sound is important to and he would obsess over it. I put Donald Fagan in that same category.

9. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Suddenly looks like a PBTHAL fan club meet in this thread :shh:

Not sure the OP was asking about comparisons between audiophille pressings of your favorite albums....

10. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Black Sabbath "Sabotage" (UK 1st Press on Nems label)

11. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Play the Carpenter's "Close to You" album. That one smokes, especially on vocals. Also the Lee Hulko master of More Hot Rocks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    ProfRob likes this.
  12. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Isn't Los Lobos' Kiko widely regarded as one of the best sounding CDs ever? There are a bunch of threads on it as well as the 2012 SACD and LP reissues. Here's one.

davidb1 and Licorice pizza like this.
  13. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

The Doors - LA Woman

14. Licorice pizza

As much as I love rock music, I have to agree with you on this point.

15. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

Whoa. I'd say we hit the wall here as far as Rock albums go. ;)

patrickd, Voxbox, One_L and 5 others like this.
  16. Licorice pizza

Amazing album from start to finish!!!

17. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Little bit embarrassing to bring this up, but if we talk about vinyl, one should try.... Michael Jackson. :kilroy:
    "Thriller" on vinyl is just mind-blowing (I can't stand Michael digitally, really annoying!)

I don't like to say this, but concerning Pink Floyd the most audiophile record would be "The Wall". A lot of people didn't like this album so much (me included), until they heard the vinyl.
    (DSOTM, WYWH and all the others are fine, but "The Wall" impresses me most, not musically, but sonically! Great dynamics!)

Digitally, there's some audiophile rock music (or what appeals to audiophiles):

Santana - Caravanserai (1972) (especially MFSL SACD)
    Roger Waters - Amused To Death (1992)
    The Police - Regatta de Blanc (1979) (Japan SHM-SACD is as good as it gets and close to vinyl)
    John Frusciante - The Emyprean (2009)
    Porcupine Tree - Recordings (2000) (First Track "Buying New Soul" is one of my reference tracks)
    Steve Tibbetts - everything (perhaps the only ECM artist, that can be filed under "Rock")
    Neu! (1972)
    ...to name but a few, which comes to mind.

Apropos, if you really want to test (and enjoy) your system, particularly the speakers, try Eberhard Weber's solo bass album "Pendulum" (1993), ECM 1518 (it's neither jazz nor rock, it's just amazing!)

18. Licorice pizza

Why embarrassing?

19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Thinking the same thing, I took KIKO to an audition of a very high-end system and that recording didn't withstand the scrutiny. You could almost "see" the producers' console moves as the tape whirred through. It was like zooming in on a very good half-tone photograph; get close enough and you become more and more aware of the black and white dots.

I'd have to agree. Someone smarter than me once wrote that most rock recordings are "multi-mono," not stereo. They're assembled on a mixing console, usually heavily manipulated, and there's usually no air or natural space around the instruments. Most of the time everything just comes at you from its discrete, isolated placement on the stereo spread with no acoustic interaction or room sound between the instruments. Are rock recordings capable of some amazing sounds -- yes, of course. Realistic, audiophile material? Most of the time, no. That's just not how it's usually recorded.

That said, I think the best sounding rock recordings tend to emphasize the vocalist. The DCC gold discs for Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison and Linda Ronstadt contain some spooky real vocals. Both Natalie Merchant's TIGERLILY and the BoDeans' HOME offer a very good live-band-in-the-room feel. The Cowboy Junkies' TRINITY SESSION is a legendary audiophile recording for a reason, recorded live around a single mic.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    sbayle, brew ziggins, Randu and 4 others like this.
  20. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

The Dead C / Clyma Est Morte
    Cheater Slicks/ Whiskey
    Oblivians / Blow Your Cool EP
    ***** Galore / Sugar Sharp Sh** EP
    The Fall / Dragnet

Andy Pandy and markaberrant like this.
  21. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Wilco's A Ghost Is Born? -E

Macman and oneway23 like this.
  22. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

I agree The Wall on original pressing vinyl sounds awesome.

23. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Both albums by Tonto's Expanding Head Band.

Jeff57 likes this.
  24. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Another name you could list in that category would be Linda Ronstadt. I was a little surprised to see in a recent interview with her how important SQ was to her. Not Surprising as everything after the Stone Poneys days is excellent

Randu likes this.
  25. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I agree with your comments about multitracking and heavy processing. But there are exceptions. And there is a sweet spot I think for some music recorded in the late 60's and early 70's where the studio gear was not as complex and the musicians in some cases were of a calibre where they could simply knock out the record without a huge amount of overdubbing, which I think causes problems sonically even without adding heavy processing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.