Audiophiles don't really want NEUTRAL. Audiophiles don't really like NEUTRAL.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Too Late!

:biglaugh:

2. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Who said anything about "top" high end?
    Sorry but I don't know if I can hear the difference between DACs in a blind test. So using a regular DAC vs. a high end DAC wouldn't have an effect on my opinion.

3. Now, to do what our esteemed SH says. :wave:

4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

And a single tube with no feedback and no cathode degeneration is far more linear than a transistor run open loop with no degeneration.

5. StereoFanOregon

StereoFanOregon Forum Resident

As a quality vintage and budget audio fan and having looked over your system (even with the rips provided) in no way are you experiencing vinyl or digital at a level that would sway anybody. I'm not attacking but being honest. I encourage you to go out and hear vinyl on some audiophile gear. I have no doubt your view of vinyl will change.

6. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

no it is completely relevant. The room is part of the system. It profoundly affects what you hear.

7. Scott Wheeler

How do you know that?

8. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Proof please.

9. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

You don't have a clue what I'm experiencing. Get off your high horse.

The two are not mutally exclusive. You most certainly are attacking.

Define "audiophile gear" please.

10. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

No it's not. I can take my system out of the room and outside. If the room was part of the system, I couldn't do that. We have already established this pages and pages ago.

That's certainly true. But so does my mood. We wouldn't say that my mood is not part of the system.

11. Scott Wheeler

I did not say it was just harmonic distortion but frequency response colorations are not a part of the euphonic coloratiosn of tubes. My tube amp and preamp are quite flat and yet they are very rich in euphonic colorations. You absolutely can not recreate the sound of my tube gear just taking some SS gear and then adding EQ. No way.

If there is audible wow and flutter and rumble then clearly it is not "as good as it gets." The measured wow, flutter and rumble on my rig is well below the thresholds of human audibility.

Um yeah, that is pretty much the definition of euphonic a coloration.

That is nice but the perceptual dynamic range actually increases via the euphonic colorations of vinyl that is a tested fact. Don't believe me? Look up a fellow named JJ Johnston who was in the business of testing such things for about 40 years. ask him about it.

Doesn't really matter that you disagree. It's been researched and it is real. That was why I asked you if you understood anything about the causes of these euphonic distortions. Apparently not if you are in denial of their actual existance.

12. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Because those distortions are random, unavoidable byproducts of the vinyl format for which compromises needed to be made to get the best out of the format. I'd prefer to hear the music without those compromises getting in the way.

13. Scott Wheeler

if the *rumble* from a turntable is being audibly amplifed through floor borne feedback then you are certainly not hearing state of the art vinyl playback. What you are hearing is really really bad vinyl playback.

14. Scott Wheeler

i guess I'm borderline OCD when it comes to this kind of misinformation. I just have to correct it. Other people who don't know better may read this stuff and believe it. Facts need to be set straight.

15. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Sometimes they are. My Fisher 500-B starts rolling off in the bass around 200 Hz.
    Please show me where I said that you can recreate the sound of tube gear by taking SS gear and adding EQ.
    I never said there was audible wow and flutter and rumble. I just said that wow and flutter and rumble is considered a euphonic coloration by some.
    Depends on how loud you turn the volume up.
    You're the one who asked.
    No thanks, I'll pass. But you can provide me with a link if you want.
    I disagree with your opinion for reasons previously stated.

16. Scott Wheeler

You can also take any component out of your system and replace it with a different one. By your reasoning nothing in your system is part of your system because it cvan be changed just like the room can be changed.

Repeating misinformation is not establishing it. It's just repeating it. The room is part of the system unless you are listening to closed headphones. Speakers are designed with rooms in mind. you can't take them out of the equation. They profoundly affect the sound. It makes no sense to discuss nuetrality and ignore this basic fact.

Your mood does not affect the actual sound. it affects your perception. Big difference. The room affects the actual sound. It changes it. In any discussion about system neutrality the room is absolutely a part of the playback system. It affects the sound.

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The needledrops you're listening to have been done with various E-MU analog to digital interfaces. You're not hearing high-end 24/192 recordings. The E-MU stuff is not that spectacular.

18. Scott Wheeler

That is not a euphonic coloration. that is a problem that may or may not be a deal breaker. My ARC D 115 Mk II does not roll the bass or the highs but it is euphonically colored. You would not be able to identify those colorations at face value. You would have to do a side by side comparison with a far more neutral SS amp. I would bet that with mosts peaker systems you would misidentify the ARC as the less colored amp. That is the nature of these kinds of euphonic colorations. they create the aural illusion of greater transparency.

Go back and look at all your posts regarding the effects of EQ and apply a little logic. You should be able to figure out that you pretty much did say that. If you really can't figure it out i will walk you through it. But i would rather not.

It can't be a euphonic coloration and be inaudible. audible ruimble, wow and flutter are not considered to be a euphonic colorations. Those are ugly colorations that do not add to the sense of spaciousness, richness or realism that the actual euphonic colorations of vinyl playback add.

No it doesn't. masking is masking no matter what the level.

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The above is the absolute truth. It is also the most misunderstood thought in tube vs. solid state audio.

Read again, memorize, enjoy. The euphonic colorations are crucial to a realistic sound presentation. Resurrecting the dead, as it were. Without them, you are listening to a mere recording. WITH THEM, you have the real illusion of life. Tubes are life..

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

No one would consider that to be so.

21. StereoFanOregon

StereoFanOregon Forum Resident

Closer than you think (other than your computer and room). I put out 60 issues of an e-zine dedicated to budget and vintage gear. Over 30 years in this hobby including experiencing virtually every piece of gear you've listed. Your rig list speaks for itself. Hey, it makes you happy, terrific, but resolution-wise you're out of your depth. Hell, in the big picture of this hobby my vinyl rig section is just off the steps of the shallow end of the pool.

No, it's the truth, you have a mostly vintage system, the SX-1980 is a beautiful receiver of the silver/wood period. The HPM 100's can get seriously loud but the truth is their resolution in no way matches their ability to push decibels. I used the HPM's to run dances at my previous school. I also brought them home to compare against speakers that came in for review.

Where the resolution is such that you hear nuances and details that take you aback. In 2004 I thought I was hearing good sound, it turns out I was just looking through the window. Find a local audio society and join the fun.

22. I loved being in my 20's. The old people didn't know squat. The world was made for me.

Money - who cares! I had my youth, my synthesizers, Peavey amps. Digital was just starting.

ACDC7369 the world is yours. We here who have been at this since before you were a gleam in your mothers eye - What do we know? We are just pulling your leg.

23. Scott Wheeler

No they are not random at all. they are very specific in nature. they are certainly serendipitous but they are not random. And you don't need to make any compromises to get the best out of the medium. None at all.

24. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Yes! I went through 4 solid state amps (Adcom, couple of B&K, McCormack) before I tried tubes-the first night I was up until 1, transfixed. Pulled out one vocal record after another-finally, the real thing. I'll never go back.

25. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Why do you all continue to waste hours of your life you will never get back on this troll?