Audiophiles don't really want NEUTRAL. Audiophiles don't really like NEUTRAL.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 6, 2010.

1. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Your posts are full of baseless claims. Such as this one:

"That is nice but the perceptual dynamic range actually increases via the euphonic colorations of vinyl that is a tested fact."

When asked to provide proof, you ran away and hid. Which leads me to believe that you were doing nothing more than spreading misinformation.

2. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

If it had anything to do with wisdom and experience, then they could convince me of their viewpoints without resorting to strawmans, baseless claims, ad-hominems, declaring your opinions to be fact, and publicly attacking my system.
    What does any of that have to do with the topic of this thread?
    More strawmans from you.
    Please show me where I claimed that I believed all DAC's more or less performed the same.

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'm not sure if you're a troll, but others have decided. You are sticking to your views in a way that is nearly unprecedented. We all recall being mid-20s and believing that we are the first to know just about anything. Do you recall being 35? Or 45? Or 55?

Take a breather and just imagine for a moment that you are wrong. What if you discover something unexpected!? So bad?

Wow. Ok, so explain how you mean this? If you can't hear a difference then this implies that you've made comparisons. Right? And you have then concluded that the result was equivalent. Right?

4. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Ad hominem arguments from authority doesn't make me wrong or a troll.

5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Attacking your system? Where!? Is it an attack to point out that your current gear is light years away from what is possible today with even a modest budget? Isn't that information supposed to help you? You are getting advice from subject matter experts. For FREE!!!

No one can convince you or anyone else of anything when rational thinking has been tossed aside. If Steve Hoffman and a good number of highly informed audiophiles can't even make you budge, then how on earth could anyone with any combination of any words!?

6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Oh dear, this is just all so 'meh'...lighten up folks.

7. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Because discussing my gear is off-topic. A topic which for some reason you have a fetish for.

If you want to finish this conversation, PM me.

8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Relying on this standing that every view from informed members is wrong and that you and you alone are right could very well make you a Troll. Otherwise, it could make you the most hard-headed person in Allegheny County (and there are plenty of yinzers here, so that's a major achievement).

9. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Calling me a troll doesn't negate any of the points I've made in my arguments.

10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Sorry, but there were a few members who worked in an observation that actually did relate to the topic. You claimed that your experience with vinyl playback in the digital realm satisfied a members question as to your experience with hi-end vinyl playback. The implication here is that you must believe that your listening experience is somewhat special. Scott Wheeler, TonePub and others have insane hi-end systems. They and others are correct to assert that there is much more for you to hear.

Keep an open mind.

11. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

The question was "have you spent some quality time listening to high end vinyl playback?"

My answer was that I believe that pBTHAL's needledrops constitute high end vinyl playback, and are even a step better because they have the advantage (over live playback) of digital DC bias removal and click/pop removal.

Others can feel free to disagree and explain why.

12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

We could wheel Patrick himself in here to refute that last assertation and I don't think it'd make one bit of difference.

13. StereoFanOregon

StereoFanOregon Forum Resident

What I have "proved" (your words) is that you would hear far more of the music whether it be digital or analog. As any audio hobbyist or 'phile will tell you is that as you go up the ladder of gear quality you're peeling away the layers (like an onion) of all the things that are blocking or interfering with the music getting to you. Vinyl, IMHO has more layers as well as sonic rewards.

Some months back I was at TonePub's studio, he played a very high-quality needle drop sent to him, pretty impressive when played thru his dcs DAC stack. Then, he went and pulled his vinyl copy of the same recording. The jump in resolution was obvious.

The point I'm making is simple, you need to actually experience the varying levels of fine audio and an audio society or willing forum member is a great place to do so.

14. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

No, but our boredom does.

15. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

It is not possible to convince you with words alone. There is a point at which actual EXPERIENCE is necessary. If you haven't heard a big rig vinyl sourced system, then I can't see how you've concluded anything on this matter. Further, how can anyone describe a listening experience in such a way that the description conveys the equivalent of the listening experience?

Same thing with DACs. You must believe that your current listening experience is similar to a system with a true hi-end DAC since you've concluded (somehow?) that you can't hear a difference from one DAC to another.

What are you proving here? What are you winning?

16. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

[​IMG]
    And I'm thinking that it's just another day:
    just another day.

17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I've volunteered. No vinyl here, but an experience that would be worthwhile. How many here with a 30 year old system would take an hour or so to demo a modern day, practical budget hi-end system? Isn't this why we are here? To share and learn!?

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I asked that question a few months ago. The response I basically got was that it makes no difference.

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Grant, some people who don't know any better confuse the word "TUBES" in modern audio with a slow and syrupy tube amplifier from the 1950's or something. Modern tube designs add the proper "stuff" that makes music sound real without the sludgy old-fashioned side effects. I don't run my masterings through a Dynaco or something. Give me a break.

Now, if you want to PLAY my stuff through your old tube amp, that's fine with me, I do it all the time. But don't confuse the two things.

20. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Sure, but you'd also hear more of the noise. Which is the point I'm making.

I agree.

I disagree with your opinion about the sonic rewards.

The point is that I'm not convinced that I'd be able to tell the difference between a typical DAC and a high end DAC in a blind test. And even if I could, I'm sure the differences would be practically negligible compared to the noise inherent in the vinyl format.

21. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

If he says his vinyl rig does not constitute "high end", then I will gladly retract everything I said.

22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

What experience have you had with hi-end DACs in order to form this view that in a blind test you'd likely not tell the difference?

23. I have modified a few tube amps, both stereo and guitar units. Most of the vintage, slow sound comes from the capacitors both in the signal chain and the power supply. Change/upgrade the caps and the sound opens up in spades. No one really believes it until they hear it before and after. Some of it is the resistors but they are way down on the list when compared to capacitors. The art is knowing what caps to use in the different parts of the circuit. I just did a Fender Blues JR for someone and the difference in resolution was stunning.

24. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I disagree with it.

25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Of course it's high end. But playback of his rips is not the same as listening to his stuff in his office or living room.