Audirvana Plus, Fidelia mini reviews

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Atmospheric, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I finally upgraded my playback interface from an older TC electronics firewire to an RME Babyface Pro. I'm really enjoying the converters. The TC sounded perfectly fine, but it required an applet to configure certain system settings like bit depth and playback frequency. The applet is 32-bit. Mac OS kept nagging me about it, so it was time to make a change.

But that's not what this thread is about. All the other Audirvana threads are closed.

I decided to give iTunes alternatives another go. I downloaded and installed Fidelia and Audirvana Plus test drives.

Fidelia is OK, but it is conspicuously missing support for ReplayGain on playback. Also UI, while pretty enough I suppose, actually is fairly unwieldy.

I've given Audirvana Plus a couple of test drives over the years, but previously decided to just stick with iTunes, warts and all. This time it's really found a home with me. Maybe I'm just so sick of the lame iTunes UI and UX. Audirvana really looks smashing with support for dark mode. It doesn't sync perfectly with iTunes (last played metadata doesn't seem to update after the initial sync), but it's pretty darned good. I love the deep preferences, support for ReplayGain information. This time around I'm keeping it.

2. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I use both iTunes and Audirvana Plus. iTunes for library management, metadata editing, multi-room streaming through AirPlay to my Airport Express units and Libratone ZIPP speaker, and sync'ing to my mobile devices.
    Audirvana is preferred for critical listening. I don't use its proprietary library management, I just drag and drop files from my desktop into the playback window, but it has so many other useful features. Obviously, it can play FLAC files, which iTunes cannot do. I don't bother with the upsampling features, or the DSD/PCM conversions, but the AU plug-ins are very useful. I use GoodHertz Can Opener Studio on my headphone/nearfield desktop system, and Blue Cat Audio's BC Gain 3 on my main system. That's a free plug-in which allows me to fine-tune channel balance within 1/10 decibel, as my amp has no balance control. Audirvana also supports AirPlay, but only to one remote device at a time. Still, I've been a user since its inception, and I think it is a great program.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Atmospheric likes this.
  3. Atmospheric

Thanks for the heads up on the Blue Cat Audio stuff.

I just gave Audirvana's upsampling a spin. I like what it brings to the party so far. But modest settings seem to be key.

One annoying limitation is that you can't tweak AU plugins during playback. I recently ditched my subwoofer in favor of software EQ. I found that the sub circuitry added a certain murkiness to the lower mids that I finally found unacceptable. I'm not trying to shake the room, but my Neumann's just don't extend very low. Fortunately, I'd already wrung out the EQ settings pretty well with Fidelia. But it's annoying that I can't optimize the EQ inside Audirvana while a track is playing. Minor deduction for an otherwise stellar playback system.

4. AJH

AJH Senior Member

If you're using your iTunes library with A+, and if you're making changes to the metadata with iTunes, or adding or deleting songs/albums in iTunes, you have to have A+ re-sync with the iTunes library after every change. After a re-sync, A+ should then pick-up on the changes.

5. Atmospheric

I realize that. A+ does not update the Last Played date and time, even if a (re)sync is forced. It’s probably a bug.

Also Last Played is updated by the system. It’s not user editable.

6. wwaldmanfan

You absolutely can adjust EQ settings or other Audio Unit settings while Audirvana is playing. Check the prefs box that says "Realtime Audio Units control and setup".

7. Atmospheric

Funny, when I set that option no sound. Unset it, and things behave properly.

8. wwaldmanfan

There are a lot of versions of this program. Some have bugs. I have experienced issues with the AU units not behaving properly, but not sure which version I was on. so, try a different version. Some people hear SQ differences as well.

You can download some of the previous versions using this URL*:
    http://audirvana.com/delivery/AudirvanaPlus_3.1.8.dmg

*Plug in the version number of the version you want for the digits. For example, I am using version 3.0.6, so go to:
    http://audirvana.com/delivery/AudirvanaPlus_3.0.6.dmg

This document shows you some of the various tweaks the developer did recently:
    Audirvana Plus for Mac | MacUpdate

I found with v3.0.5, typing "Command-period" would not stop play when "Use keyboard media keys" is checked. But it works with v3.0.6.

Atmospheric likes this.
  9. wwaldmanfan

Were you able to resolve your issues with Audirvana? With the "media keys" enabled, the space bar should pause/unpause play, Command-period should stop operation, Command-comma should bring up preferences. You have to stop play before you open the preferences window if you want the AU windows to stay open when you restart play (with realtime selected). You should be able to operate all AU app functions in real time, or there's a bug.
    Use an older version that works for you. Sometimes when Damien fixes a bug, he creates others. At least it's easy to download previous versions of Audirvana, if necessary.

10. Atmospheric

Yes and no. The Babyface Pro interface comes with a mixer app. Honestly, at first I just blew it off as I usually do with free add-ons. But it turns out that it has a very functional (and high quality) EQ section. I believe there's some sort of relationship with Izotope. The mixer app is VERY high quality.

So the upside is I can tune the entire device system wide to my liking. Nothing extreme just a few nips and tucks here and there. 3-band parametric more than sufficient (I'm only using the bass and mid bands).

But no, I never did get Audirvana to allow realtime adjustment of AU plugins. But because I'm not using any, it's a moot point. I really really love Audirvana. Totally worth the $78. I highly recommend it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  11. wwaldmanfan

So, what version are you using? If you have issues, you should report them to the developer. He can be reached on ComputerAudiophile.com as "damien78".

Atmospheric likes this.
  12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Is there an equivalent to iTunes' column Browser in Audirvana? I simply cannot function without something similar.

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Bump.

14. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

@Synthfreek - I'm not even sure what a column browser is, but I have Audirvana installed here, running on a new 2014 model Mac Mini with an iPad as a controller and you are welcome to play with it to your heart's content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.