Audrey Hepburn Appreciation & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, May 30, 2020.

1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

She turns in a powerful performance in Wait Until Dark, for sure, but Alan Arkin is a menacing presence as the criminal.

2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

true! I thought if that, but then I thought her fear when confronted with Arkin is what makes him so scary, so u=I left him in (he is crazy good tho, good poster too)

3. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Two for the Road is one of Hepburn’s more interesting roles as a mature actress, but it always seems to get passed over when discussing her filmography. Great turn from Albert Finney, also.

4. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Julie Andrews didn't forget. ;)

Julie has always said it was a blessing in disguise, because she was free when the part of Mary Poppins was offered to her.

skisdlimit, Jimmy B. and misterjones like this.
  5. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Then could Audrey Hepburn have been Mary Poppins had they gone with Andrews For the Dolittle role?

6. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member Thread Starter

With Audrey's background as a dancer, I'm surprised her dance talents were not more utilized in her films. I would've loved to see her perform in more dance sequences in her 50s films. Such a talent. She did a little in Funny Face but she could've done much more. I also loved her voice. I heard she was really mad when she found out they were going to overdub her singing in My Fair Lady. Such a talent!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

skisdlimit likes this.
  7. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Possibly, but the studio didn't want Andrews because she wasn't enough of a "box office name".

8. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

She's sooooooooo cute and a great actress,I watched[Breakfast At Tiffany's] yesterday.

Boom Operator and John B Good like this.
  9. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Wilder is one of my all time favorite directors

GMfan87', Boom Operator and stepeanut like this.
  10. vivresavie

vivresavie Forum Resident

Two for the Road is actually my fav film of hers, mainly due to the new wave/arthouse stylization.

stepeanut likes this.
  11. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

A great film- I recently watched it on the Twilight Time Blu-ray

Boom Operator and vivresavie like this.
  12. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member Thread Starter

How it would have sounded if they had used Audrey Hepburn's own vocals in My Fair Lady instead of dubbing them and synced by Marni Nixon. Here researchers added Audrey's original sound tracks to the film. This is how it would have been if they had allowed Audrey to do her own singng, and do I ever love the authenticity of Audrey's performance. Such a humble response at the end as well. Man, I love her!

skisdlimit and Boom Operator like this.
  13. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I saw the film (again) recently, and I did not think the singing voice matched well with Hepburn's speaking voice. (I also thought the entire production was a bit wooden and uninspired. Rex Harrison seemed bored most of the time.) At the time, however, I think My Fair Lady was considered the gold standard for Broadway musicals, and Julie Andrews was the gold standard for the gold standard. The producers probably thought Hepburn's voice had to be at least as good as Andrews' or the critics and the public would scoff at the attempt. Today I think Hepburn's singing would have been greatly appreciated. Back then, I'm not so sure.

14. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

What a disgraceful way to treat a record. She probably had to keep rebuying them wondering where all the scratches came from. Sorry Audrey it would never work for us.

Boom Operator likes this.
  15. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

One of my all time favorite actresses and human beings. So beautiful in every way. She can illicit such strong emotions and instantly make me laugh or cry.

I had a friend who sat next to her on an airplane and said she was extremely modest, down-to-earth and friendly. What I wouldn't have given to be in his shoes.

16. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Stay at home Showbiz Mom for a beautiful baby girl

I just happened to find this absolutely wonderful thread while I was doing a search. I hope it may be okay if I contribute to the discussion. I have been an Audrey fan for most of my life, she has been a personal roll model to me in many ways. I have acquired a very extensive personal collection of various items involving her through galleries & other private collections. I would like to share just a few items from the Audrey Hepburn section of my private gallery collection. I have also collected other rare originals of various legends from the Golden Age of Hollywood. All items are rare first generation proofs, ephemera etc.

Here are just a few from my Audrey Hepburn Collection….

*A rare unretouched original first generation 1956 proof by Bud Fraker taken during production of Funny Face (from the Paramount Studios Collection)

*An original first generation 1956 proof by Bud Fraker taken during production of Funny Face.

*A direct from the original negative proof of Audrey on the set of Breakfast At Tiffany’s

*A rare 1957 complete issue of Greek magazine Pomanteo featuring Audrey on the cover

*A rare 1953 original theatre lobby card for Roman Holiday, from Mexico

*A rare complete 1954 issue of RADIOCINEMA magazine, from Spain, featuring Audrey on the cover

[​IMG]

I would like to share more of my collection. If you have any questions about this posting, please feel absolutely free to ask or discuss.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  17. Vintage Maven

I will quickly share one more item from my Audrey Hepburn collection. This is perhaps one of the rarest pieces of ephemera from her career (apologies for the relative crudeness of my collage for this posting). This is a rare original 1948 complete theatre program for the London Hippodrome production of High Button Shoes. This marks Audrey’s very first appearance professionally on theatre stage, as a dancer in the chorus for the production. There is quite a back story to her looking back & talking about that roll, maybe some out there already have heard it. This is a very rare historic item in her career. I was absolutely delighted when I added this to my collection.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  18. Vintage Maven

One of the rare negatives of Audrey Hepburn from my collection. This one is a publicity portrait taken by photographer Mary Evans for the 1951 film Young Wives’ Tale, the film featured Audrey in one of her earliest minor movie roles, as Eve Lester.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    Al Kuenster and Uglyversal like this.
  19. ulas

ulas Forum Resident

Marie-Hélène de Rothschild was a member of the famous "Rothschild family".

Audrey Hepburn and Marie-Hélène de Rothschild were close friends. 2 photos showing the two of them together are below.

At horse race in France on June 20, 1966. Hepburn was then 37 years old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another photo taken on the same day:

[​IMG]

Al Kuenster likes this.
  20. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Still a pretty entertaining film. When I saw it in 1967, I thought that Arkin's character looked
    like he should be hanging out with Andy Warhol's minions at 'The Factory'...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boom Operator and stepeanut like this.
  21. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Just watched Wait Until Dark for the first time. On TCM the other night.

Quite good, though it seemed a little like live theater rather than a movie. Surely a blind person would have smelled the presence of three strange men and a heavily made up corpse hanging in a garment bag in her closet?

I wonder where I could come across the song played at the end titles? Years ago I got a cd of music from Hepburn films which featured her own singing of Moon River as the last track.

GMfan87' likes this.
  22. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Has there ever been a more charming actress on the screen??

23. ulas

ulas Forum Resident

Audrey Hepburn devoted much of her time to UNICEF, to which she had contributed since 1954. In 1989, Hepburn was appointed a Goodwill Ambassador of UNICEF. In December 1992, she received the US Presidential Medal of Freedom in recognition of her work as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.

In August 1988, Hepburn went to Turkey on an immunisation campaign. She called Turkey "the loveliest example" of UNICEF's capabilities. Of the trip, she said, "The army gave us their trucks, the fishmongers gave their wagons for the vaccines, and once the date was set, it took ten days to vaccinate the whole country. Not bad."

In 1988, when she was 58 years old, Audrey Hepburn gave an interview to Turkey's state channel "TRT". (TRT was for many years the only television and radio provider in Turkey)

The Interview (1988):

Boom Operator likes this.