Austin Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Cassius, Dec 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach Thread Starter

2. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Antone's Records on Guadalupe (near 29th St.) still has interesting vinyl (and styrene & shellac discs as well)...

3. Chiron

Chiron Active Member

I actually have a neat pamphlet that I picked up in a record store around Austin that lists record stores, besides Waterloo, around Austin (hopefully the ones I'm listing still all exist..):

-Piranah Records - 1208 N. IH 35, Round Rock, TX (specializes in CD's, DVD's, LP's and games)

-Out of the Past - 5431 Burnet Road, Austin, TX (new & used CD's, DVD's, posters, vinyl 45's, 78's, LP's)

-Backspin Records - 5247 Burnet Road, Austin, TX (www.backspinrecords.net)

-Sound on Sound - 106 E. North Loop, Austin, TX (www.soundonsoundrecords.com)

-Immortal Performances - 1404 W. 30th Street, Austin, TX ("Austin's eclectic used record store since 1971"; mostly classical, LP's, 78's, CD's, "all genres-pre 1980")

-Antones Records - 2928 Guadalupe, Austin, TX (http://www.antonesrecordshop.homestead.com/storeinfo.html)

-Musicmania - 3909 D N. IH 35 #1, Austin, TX - ("In Fiesta Delwood Shopping Center @ 32 1/2th - albums $5.00 or less, all 45's 50 cents, CD's DVD's, T-shirts")

-Cheapos - 914 North Lamar, Austin, TX (www.cheapotexas.com)

-Snake Eyes Vinyl - 1211 East 7th, Austin, TX (Rock, punk, metal, hardcore, t-shirts and CD's)

-End of an Ear - 2209 South 1st, Austin, TX (www.endofanear.com)

-Turntable Records - 2501 Cesar Chavez, Austin, TX ("Austin's DJ music store, special orders welcome, Top 40, hiphop, house, retro, disco, trance, breaks, drum & bass"; CD's, DVD's, and vinyl)

-Friends of Sound - 1704 South Congress, Austin, TX ("Collectible records")

-Turntable Records - 3708 Woodbury Dr., Austin, TX (same as above, but different address)

There is also a listing for the Austin Record Convention and a pretty groovy store in San Marcos, but I was unsure if you were just sticking to Austin.

Nonetheless.....I hope I've helped. Austin can be your friend when looking for music. :)

4. Chiron

Chiron Active Member

I found a site that actually lists many of the same record stores listed, along with some pictures and descriptions and a few other record stores not listed:

http://ctxgrooves.com

Amazing.

5. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach Thread Starter

Very Cool, thanks for all your help. I will check some out today and report back on my finds!
    Clay

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Good information. Looks like I may be in Austin next week for a couple of days.

What BBQ joints should I hit?

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Both of these places are sooooo good, you should visit each.

Stubbs BBQ: http://www.stubbsaustin.com/

Iron Works: http://www.ironworksbbq.com/

I promise you will thank me after you go eat there! They are both so amazing good, and really unique places to visit.

For record stores, I like Cheapo Discs and Waterloo.

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oh man I love Austin! :love: All the record stores listed in the thread are great, and Waterloo is my favorite.

Love Stubbs, and if you get a chance to see a show there please do. I saw Son Volt a couple summers back and it was amazing.

For awesome Texas-style BBQ I highly recommend County Line. It'll change your life. :)
    http://www.countyline.com

dan c

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Thanks Sam and Dan. I will check them out. :)

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

:wave:

Be sure and report back if you are able to make it. My mouth is watering justing thinking about Stubbs and Iron Works. :love:

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Will do Sam. Where do I go to meet cute UT coeds?

Oops, I'm married now. :D

12. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

The first day go to Waterloo, then to Stubb's.

The next day go to Stubb's, then Waterloo.

Variety, man, variety... :D

...and bring me back something...

David

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Ah, indeed. Some of the most beautiful women in the country live in Texas (and go to UT ;) ), cross my heart. It will be summer school, so not as much activity on campus. But, if you have a chance to drive around, you can park on Guadalupe St, and walk across the street to stroll the campus. It's a fun way to kill sometime if it's not too hot outside.

:laugh: Forgot to mention, they have this serrano pepper cheese spinach at Stubb's that is out of this world. It is so good, it should be illegal!

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm out in Dell land near Parma Lane this week. Any good vinyl stops or CD stores out this way?

15. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

wow i wish i had this when i was there.

16. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

but i did find some nice used ojc jazz discs at waterloo!

17. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I was there this summer and went to about 50% of those listed and was not too impressed to be honest at least from a used vinyl perspective.

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Looks like I'm an easy drive to Waterloo. :)

19. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

And Cheapo Discs. They've got a more-than-decent selection, both CD and vinyl.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yeah, don't miss Waterloo. Try and go during an off-peak hour. It is downtown, so traffic and parking can be difficult.

21. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

And go to Waterloo multiple times if you can. Their used selection turns over pretty rapidly and a fair number of interesting items show up if your timing is right.

22. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Is there such a thing in Austin anymore???? :shh: :winkgrin:

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Picked up some quality Blue Note reissues at Waterloo. Great store!

Austin is a fun city...hot girls, good food, good music. :)

24. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

May seem like a dumb question, but was it vinyl or CD? I picked up a little of both last time I was down there!

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Classic 200 gram SVP vinyl. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.