Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm still waiting to them to get around to reissuing the Milford Graves & Don Pullen Yale University albums. Corbett promised them years ago in his 'Vinyl Freak' book. No idea why that's taking so long or even if it's been abandoned. I thought it might have been, but then the expanded 'Babi' came out, so...

jay.dee and sberger like this.
  2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Evidently Graves has agreed to a reissue, so maybe it's Pullen's estate? In any event, I'm with you. I'd love to see a nice vinyl reissue, but I'd take the cd's too.

93curr likes this.
  3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Thanks for the recommendation @Dahabenzapple ! Loving it through first listens.

[​IMG]

Starwanderer and Dahabenzapple like this.
  4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

6. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Documentary about the life and music of electronic music pioneer Bruce Haack.

Johnny Action and Starwanderer like this.
  7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

8. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Johannes Bauer & Per Ake Holmlander duet from 3 Days in Oslo box. Many nuggets like this within this great release from February 2009. Oh to have been there.

jay.dee, Starwanderer and sberger like this.
  9. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Just wanted to remind you guys that this hits end of March from Cherry Red.

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, 93curr and shakes like this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Once again thanks to @Dahabenzapple for hipping me to this. Amazing lineup, amazing playing. Great cd. And yes, picked up "Live At The Stone" also.

[​IMG]

14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

And something else on the horizon:

[​IMG]

Prima Facie are pleased to announce the release a world premiere recording and one of the final works by the legendary composer John Cage: 4 Solos for Voice: Solos for Voice 93-96, performed by Electric Phoenix. A detailed work for solo and over dubbed vocals the recording was masterminded by producer and musical polymath Daryl Runswick.

Daryl Runswick: "I met John Cage twice, and was as beguiled by him personally as everyone who met him was. The first time was in Zagreb on 21st April 1985 when he attended a concert by Electric Phoenix; the second in London on 19th June 1988 at a rehearsal of the piece he wrote for us, 4 Solos for Voice. For the recording, made several years after the world premiere of 4 Solos for Voice (and indeed after Cage's death) I as producer adopted several procedures which I hope he would have approved of.

'At the 1988 rehearsal, Cage stipulated that in performance we should ignore one another completely – never interact in any way. For the recording I decided we would record the four solos separately and not as an ensemble, and that the recordings would be assembled into performances later. In actual performance it is virtually impossible to ignore one another – although on stage we positioned ourselves apart and out of each other's eyeline – but here we could be truly independent. I therefore summoned each of the singers to John Whiting's October Sound studio alone and they recorded their music in the presence only of John and myself.

'We recorded each vocal event separately and stopped the tape (it was still Digital Audio Tape in those days) between events. In this way we could re-record an event as many times as we wanted until we were pleased with it. This meant we ended up with a collection of dozens of single events which could then be assembled into complete performances."

This historic recording is a must for the serious collector of avant garde music, challenging, inventive but ultimately very listenable to.

Starwanderer and 93curr like this.
  15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

16. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

In a ambient, synth, noise vein, Tim Hecker's Ravedeath

johnnypaddock and Johnny Action like this.
  17. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I bought my copy of the Retrospective concert in 1970. Went up to the producer George Avakian’s apartment on Central Park West. His daughter answered the door. I told her I was interested in getting a copy. She told me there was a whole closet full of them. She asked me if $5.00 sounded right. I said SOLD and thanked her profusely. It’s worth having the original for all the inserts.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  18. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Very reasonably priced.

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yeah, they're putting this out for a giveaway price. Like you I tend to have what's included in these types of sets, but if someone doesn't already own them, it's a steal.

elaterium likes this.
  20. Jocko

Jocko Forum Resident

Jaimie Branch - Fly or Die II

21. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

This is G E Stinson who used to play in Shadowfax sort of a New Age band, but delving more into prepared guitar and pedals. He has a new release like this over at Bandcamp, if you like this direction.

22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Are there any inserts in the original not reproduced in the Wergo CD reissue?

23. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I've never seen the Wergo. But they are certainly not full size on fancy paper.

93curr likes this.
  24. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

25. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident