Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

2. -Sphinx-

-Sphinx- OM - Ordinary Man

Great thread!
    Sainkho Namtchylak from Tuva.
    Give this album some time.. you might be surprised..

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    jay.dee likes this.
  3. -Sphinx-

Sainkho Namtchylak live.

jay.dee likes this.
  4. -Sphinx-

5. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'll admit I never really got into Sainkho's solo stuff, but I do have the album she made with Evan Parker on Victo and the one she did with Dickson Dee on Leo. Then I guess she just kind of fell off my radar.

-Sphinx- likes this.
  6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

8. -Sphinx-

I'm not a huge fan actually but I think everyone will agree that her vocal abilities are just amazing.

Colin Stetson

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Starwanderer likes this.
  9. -Sphinx-

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Continuing on with my deep dive in everything Paul Flaherty, picked up this little slab of live insanity today. Flaherty doing what he does, which is to mostly show his adoration of Brotzmann/Ayler yet with his own style, while jamming here with assorted loops, synths, and other ways to trip up the listener courtesy of Sunburned Hand Of The Man, one of the most prolific, and damaged psych band to come out of Western Mass. Ever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unmuzzled Ox - Sunburned with Paul Flaherty, by Sunburned Hand of the Man

johnnypaddock and dub_siq like this.
  11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

12. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I ended up having to order this from the label in Lithuania because the leader of Apartment Houses only had a couple of copies with him when I saw them the other week.

Well worth it though - it's a lovely recording.

[​IMG]

And yes I know it looks as though it should be out on Another Timbre...the designer clearly looked at where they usually release these days and liked the design so much he thought he'd copy it. It's available here and mine took a week to arrive.

MICL - Music Information Centre Lithuania | Database - Classical / Contemporary - Releases - Daydreamer

sberger likes this.
  13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

My addiction with Leandre continues. I only wish more of her stuff was released on vinyl, but even though cd is not my preferred medium, I make an exception with her releases.

This one features the sax player Alexandra Grimal who I will admit is new to me. Another reason why I love Leandre other then her wizardry on bass is the diverse and large amount of folks she has played with over the years, allowing fans like me to be introduced to great players whom we might never find otherwise. Grimal is the perfect foil for Leandre on this recording, filled with passages both beautiful and thunderous. I will be on the lookout for more releases by her.

[​IMG]

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

15. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Nabbed this from Bandcamp - irr. app. (ext.) a/k/a Matt Waldron.

He says: "All sounds derived from one abject, inexpensive, poorly-intonated guitar." You can tell it's all guitar to start with...by about 10 mins in, less so...20 minutes in, you wonder how on earth he's doing it.

Blau Erntearbeiter, by irr. app. (ext.)

Morpheus, 93curr and sberger like this.
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

DKV Trio with Joe Morris-Deep Telling

[​IMG]

17. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

[​IMG]
    Tiger Hatchery w/ Paul Flaherty-Live In New Haven

"Helios is typically credited for our solar well-being, but let's not forget that his four horses have been the ones doing the heavy lifting day in and day out all these years...,

They must have bailed on the bossman somewhere above Connecticut because on September 9, 2013 in New Haven it was not Pyrois, Aeos, Aethon, and Phlegon but Tiger Hatchery (Ben Baker Billington, Mike Forbes, Andrew Scott Young) and Paul Flaherty who brought the heat. Neither party is any stranger to fire music: after cutting their teeth in Texas and Cleveland like so many other purveyors of the ecstatic now Tiger Hatchery congealed in Chicago and their blistering take on free jazz earned them a recent entry in the venerable ESP-Disk'ography, Paul Flaherty needs little introduction having lent his biting reed attack to countless outfits since his 1978 debut, among them mind melds with Chris Corsano, Thurston Moore, C Spencer Yeh, and Bill Nace.

Live In New Haven documents both entities convulsing as one, with Forbes' and Flaherty's labyrinthine saxophone mutations squirming against the brink of the Billington-Young skins 'n' strings throb unit. Yet despite the volcanic nature of the session, the quartet exhibits a sage capacity for both restraint and an elevated plane of almost-composed melodicism unheard in Tiger Hatchery's corpus of abandon as a trio."

20. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Vertrek Ensemble are a trio, but not the typical Jimi Hendrix or Grand Funk variety. Over at Bandcamp.

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

22. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Morpheus likes this.
  23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

24. Roger Thornhill

Three posts from me for recent acquisitions...

Firstly, a double album on Superior Viaduct from long-time Philip Glass collaborator Jon Gibson of archive pieces. Interesting to see both Julius Eastman and Arthur Russell in the credits.

[​IMG]

Back cover BTW as the front doesn't give much away.

sberger likes this.
  25. Roger Thornhill

The second is a reissue of Ellen Fullman's In The Sea from works out originally in the 1980s on cassette.

[​IMG]

A friend that I see at cafe Oto said "You have to have this!" so I obliged - her long strings are really quite extraordinary.

There's a video on Youtube that explains how she came up with the idea.

sberger likes this.