Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Brandon Lopez Trio - Live at Roulette
    2021, Relative Pitch

Brandon Lopez - bass
    Steve Baczkowski - saxophones
    Gerald Cleaver - percussion
    Cecilia Lopez - synthesizer track 5

I'm really enjoying this recent pickup. Brandon Lopez sounds incredible. I think I've liked every album I've heard him on, now that I think of it. He's in lock step with Baczkowski here.

[​IMG]

2. johnnypaddock

Agreed, that lineup is impossible to wrap my mind around!! Holy moly.

SeeDubs, Dahabenzapple and bzfgt like this.
  3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

That's the best festival lineup I've ever seen...

SeeDubs and johnnypaddock like this.
  4. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I was at the show. It’s odd how they cut it up and re-ordered it and edited it. Love the result. Very unique hearing the above. Sounds WAY different than my memory of hearing the music from 5-7 feet away.

jay.dee and johnnypaddock like this.
  5. johnnypaddock

Damn, that must have been awesome! I didn’t realize there were so many edits on the album.

bzfgt and Dahabenzapple like this.
  6. Dahabenzapple

There was a whole set with Celia Lopez - the CD has only 1 track from that set. They played at least 95-100 minutes - 2 full sets

johnnypaddock and bzfgt like this.
  7. johnnypaddock

I saw the Celia Lopez album on the Relative Pitch page that was recorded at the same venue with Brandon Lopez and Gerald Cleaver. Apparently they hung instruments from the ceiling in a net to create feedback. Pretty interesting idea, and I wonder how the resulting sound is. I'm going to check that out soon.

jay.dee likes this.
  8. bzfgt

A History of Nothing Amado McPhee Kessler Corsano this is a good one; mainstream free improv, if there is such a thing

9. johnnypaddock

Thollem's Astral Traveling Sessions - Thollem / Rova Saxophone Quartet
    2021, Astral Spirits

Bruce Ackley, soprano saxophone
    Steve Adams - Laptop Electronics and Shnth
    Jon Raskin - Baritone Sax
    Larry Ochs - tenor, sopranino saxophone
    Thollem - piano

This is pretty interesting. It goes from really loud dramatic moments to quiet, almost ambient and back again. Steve Adams seems like a maniac on the electronics. Sometimes it's a little much, but it helps to better appreciate the quiet sections afterwards.

I'm almost caught up on this series... Although every session has a completely unique sound, they have been remarkably consistent. This was my first exposure to Thollem and I definitely plan on exploring further. The albums with Nels Cline and with Daniel Carter are definitely on my radar, along with the solo record on Acousmatique.

[​IMG]

jay.dee and bzfgt like this.
  10. johnnypaddock

WORDS FAIL
    by Chris Abrahams, Clayton Thomas, Miles Thomas
    2021, Hospital Hill

Chris Abrahams (piano)
    Clayton Thomas (bass & preparations)
    Miles Thomas (drums & percussion)

Chris Abrahams is a member of The Necks, and this newly released record is in a similar vein. Four long improvisations totaling 60 minutes, mostly hypnotic grooves, kind of hectic with a lot going on for three musicians. The last track slows the tempo and is a great way to come down, really a beautiful piece of music.

[​IMG]

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I've not posted in here for a while since I've been on a rather straight kick with old Rock albums.

Still, tonight I've been ordering up a storm, and settled in for this one. I held off buying the CD for ages since it was price unfriendly. But then one day you get fed up waiting and just order the damn thing. So glad I did, what a wonderful album this is. I guess there are three other albums of Bley playing proto-synthesizers, and this was the fourth I bought. At the time the nascent sounds must have seemed mysterious and adventurous, but it's strange to think of someone with the touch of Paul Bley having to deal with electronic instruments that don't understand subtlety.

Anyway, this one is just ridiculously wonderful. Annette Peacock is amazing, this sounds a couple steps back from Patty Water (did Ms. Peacock ever record Wild is the Wind?) It's got funk, it's got spiritual, it's got avant-rock with lashings of gurgles and beeps circa Atari 1977. Wow.

12. bzfgt

Live at the Underflow Gustaffson, Grubbs, Mazurek

Improvised music with some electronics and blorp

13. Dahabenzapple

Awe inspiring set of music, IMO

bzfgt likes this.
  14. bzfgt

First time I heard it was when you played it for me. Finally got back to it to check out the rest of the album. It is really great.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Incredibly classic lp that I got lucky enough to be turned onto in the mid 70's from a girlfriend at the time.

Her 3 other lp's from the 70's are great also. Other favorites are Been In The Streets Too Long and Sky-Skating, but frankly I love everything she's ever done. As original as they come.

jay.dee likes this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I mentioned in my earlier post that there were four Bley electronic albums - but apparently I was wrong. I have 4 CD's, but one of the booklets mentioned TEN albums. I need to figure out which others including Bley playing synths.

jay.dee likes this.
  18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Her first, Dual Unity, is the only one that he is on that I’m aware of.

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

This is excellent, avant classical composition, although for some reason it seems to get lumped in as "jazz". Probably because Rudolph has worked with a lot of jazz folks (Don Cherry, Jon Hassell, Sam Rivers, Hamid Drake,Pharoah Sanders, Fred Anderson among them) in the past. Sana Nagano, who's new LP I commented 0n here recently, is on here with a solo violin piece. Anyway, I think it would go over well with a lot of the folks on this thread.

Adam Rudolph: Morphic Resonances - Jazz da Gama

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was interested in Bley's Synth playing generally, not simply with Ms. Peacock.

21. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Ten sounds way too many.

I know of Revenge, Dual Unity, Improvsie, I'm The One (all with Annette Peacock under joint names or hers alone)

With his own groups: The Paul Bley Synthesiser Show, Scorpio

I thought that was it.

jay.dee likes this.
  22. bzfgt

I have been listening to this today. I think it's cool but haven't yet decided how much I like it.

@jay.dee you hip to this stuff?

93curr and jay.dee like this.
  23. bzfgt

Decoy with Joe McPhee Spontaneous Combustion

First listen tonight and I don't know if I'm going overboard but this may be the best album I've ever heard

Freely improvised music that has everything you could want--groove, melody, variety, and McPhee playing as good as anyone has. Also the drummer Steve Noble has one hell of a groove. And John Edwards is about the best bass player I know of. The other guy (Alexander Hawkins) plays Hammond organ and it's great.

24. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

There's a more recent album with the same pairing of Decoy and Joe McPhee which is amazing and well worth hearing - trust me, I know because I was there...

Decoy with Joe McPhee – AC/DC ← Cafe OTO

Worth searching out Decoy's previous releases as a trio too.

25. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

bzfgt likes this.