Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

[​IMG]

The 17 minute take of "Bebop" on disc 2 is some of Braxton at his best, going at the speed of sound and warring with Paul Smoker and Misha Mengelberg. I like to imagine that somewhere Bird and Diz are laughing their butts after hearing this.

2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Gerry Hemingway Quintet Waltzes, Two-Steps & Other Matters of the Heart

Last album from the Quintet, a smoker

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Aksak Maboul's Un peu de l'ame des bandits (1980). This landmark avant-prog release out of Belgium features Henry Cow's Chris Cutler and Fred Frith. Lots of varied experimentation going on here.

420JJJazz666, 93curr, Vaughan and 2 others like this.
  4. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident

Les Rallizes Dénudés – Double Heads 1980 - 1981: Maximum Psychedelic Blues Years
    [​IMG]

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

It's everything I can do not to spring for the one vinyl copy I found for $225. And I'm getting weaker.

bzfgt likes this.
  6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

7. iwokeinrelief

Oh, that sucks. Forced Exposure had it last week for $140, which is where I grabbed it, but like 2 days later they scrubbed it from the site entirely as opposed to just marking it out of stock.

It sounds as good as the CDs I had, which is basically all you can hope for with this sort of thing. Got it cranked right now in between meetings...

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Must've been one of the days that I didn't check their site:shake: Must be like 5 copies of it worldwide:winkgrin:

It will come along again, or not. Or I'll give myself the only live once speech and buy it anyway.

9. iwokeinrelief

Yeah, i find that i only buy a handful of things from them a month, but i too try to check their new releases daily.

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

How do you like the collection?

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Pacifying myself with this monster

[​IMG]

420JJJazz666, 93curr, Vaughan and 4 others like this.
  12. iwokeinrelief

Do you mean the Double Heads set? It's great, all blown out scuzzy psych-blues rock; it actually sounds pretty good as well, at least as far as these recordings go.

Need to grab a copy of this; when it came out I was still not buying LPs.

sberger likes this.
  13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

There are a couple of releases in what could be thought of as a series. These are early Riley recordings, and they're effectively bootlegs (although well done). Essentially this is a recording of a performance at a time when tape loops were the thing. It's crude, imperfect, and inside a slightly rough outer shell, a real diamond. In fact, we're lucky to have these types of recording.

I actually have two copies of this. This one comes in a digipac which does the job. However, the earlier version (same sound quality) was a standard Jewelcase, and is better aesthetically.

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

15. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

I've always wondered if the title "Motorcycle '66: Reflections & Ruminations" is a Bob Dylan reference. Unlikely, but they were both around the Village in the early '60s. Who knows - maybe Dylan was a big booster of the October Revolution in Jazz?

jay.dee and bzfgt like this.
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

[​IMG]

93curr likes this.
  17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I've never heard that theory, although it's a fun one to ruminate on.

SeeDubs likes this.
  18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

20. iwokeinrelief

Amelia Cuni – Parampara Festival 13.3.1992

[​IMG]

Black Truffle really just doesn't miss.

Complete side note, but it might appeal to some frequent visitors on the thread - Alga Marghen is repressing Eliane Radigue's Opus 17, and - per label copy - it's a new and improved pressing. It's my personal favorite album of hers and, despite having the first press, I immediately ordered the new one.

21. bzfgt

Art Ensemble of Chicago Les Stances a Sophie

Great, great music!

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

23. bzfgt

johnnypaddock and jay.dee like this.
  24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I haven't heard it. It's a Japan only release AFAIK and rather difficult to find in the States. But I have no doubt they're great live, and the album I'm listening to is incredible.

johnnypaddock, jay.dee and bzfgt like this.
  25. bzfgt

Cool, I'm going to check it out. I have a couple other things with similar lineup.