Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Yes, I just heard from Neely Bruce that he passed away this morning. I first met him in 1970 with the Sonic Arts Union and became a student of his in graduate school in 1982. A nice man who left a singular imprint on modern music.

iwokeinrelief, sberger and SeeDubs like this.
  2. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

jay.dee and sberger like this.
  3. The Ambient Library

The Ambient Library Forum Resident

agn and Roger Thornhill like this.
  4. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

5. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

JOE MCPHEE | BLACK MAGIC MAN | CJR & HAT_HUT | RECORDING 1970 | RELEASE 1975 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING HAT-A LP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Black Magic Man" is the first recording by McPhee that was simoultaneously released on two different (but obviously cooperating) labels. CjR, for which McPhee had already recorded "Underground Railroad", "Nation Time" and "Trinity" and Hat Hut, a swiss label founded explicitly to release "Black Magic Man" and for which McPhee would record more albums beginning in 1975. The US version, presumably the first pressing, comes in a nice trial-fold as pictured above. The music found on this LP was recorded at the same concert/venue, Chicago Hall at Vassar College Urban Center for Black Studies on December 12 and 13, 1970, as the tracks used for the "Nation Time" album, but only released in 1975. While "Nation Time" is an amalgamation of raw Soul-, Free- and Funk-Jazz, "Black Magic Man" features solely Free Jazz cuts void of any (then and now) popular influences. It is far less known than its big brother (and therefore kind of affordable), but has come to some degree of attention with the release of "The Complete Nation Time Sessions" released a couple of years ago.

Listen to "Song for Laureen", which erroneously has been tagged with the wrong track title:

agn, ruben lopez, 93curr and 5 others like this.
  6. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Went to Cafe Oto last night to see the London Improvisors Orchestra for the first time. I'll post up one of their CDs when I've got round to listening to it but looked through the vinyl racks while waiting for them to get going and happened upon this new release. I have to admit that it was Jon Gibson's name that attracted me to it as David Behrman is not a name I'm familiar with. Pieces on Side one date from 1989 & 1999, while Side two is all new material recorded between 2018-21.

Available on Black Truffle here.

[​IMG]

93curr, johnnypaddock and sberger like this.
  7. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

3 Primates, by 3 Primates (rock-in-opposition, live recording, full-length, released December 3, 2021, Pau, France)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Ors

sberger and jay.dee like this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Almost picked this up at my local yesterday. Kind of regret it, although they had several copies so I'll probably go back tomorrow and get it.

9. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

Bernard Parmegiani - L'Œuvre Musicale en 12 CD (INA-GRM box, 2008)

Listening to disc 1 right now (1964-1967). It's amazing what the early musique concrète composers could do with tape.

[​IMG]

10. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

[​IMG]
    Crazy Doberman - Illusory Expansion
    listening once again to this mind-melter from Crazy Doberman, in preparation for seeing them again on Sunday.
    I have most of their albums, but I think this one is my favorite. Will try to acquire the newer ones I don't have yet from their merch table.
    My own group is opening for them in our first show since the pandemic.

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Love this album. I was lucky enough to snag an autographed copy from Joe's personal collection that he put up for sale to make some money for Catalytic Sound. Not cheap, but worth it.

agn, Dahabenzapple, cds23 and 4 others like this.
  13. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Listening for the first time after taking the rec from your post and really dig it. Hope the show goes well.

johnnypaddock and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  14. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Thanks man!
    Glad you enjoyed.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  15. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

jay.dee likes this.
  16. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

IIRC, he also sold his personal copies of "Nation Time", "Underground Railroad" and "Trinity", all in opened shrink with their respective stickers. A once in a lifetime opportunity to snag all those great and rare records...

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I also got Pieces Of Light and Old Eyes.

Dahabenzapple and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

One of my top albums for '21. Incredible listen.

[​IMG]

johnnypaddock, bzfgt and jay.dee like this.
  19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    jay.dee, Tim 2 and johnnypaddock like this.
  20. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

sberger likes this.
  21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

sberger likes this.
  22. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Joe McPhee Quartet: Magic

with Dominic Duval, Jay Rosen & Mikolaj Trazaska

recorded in 2007

McPhee on alto saxophone & his pocket trumpet. Not sure I’ve heard him more compelling on the alto. One of the greatest pure improvisers ever. Great to hear the late *great* Dominic Duval this AM. Session/show a wonderful relaxed vibe. They get to where they get and sometimes it’s just on the margins. True “free” jazz.

2 CD set on Not Two records

93curr, 420JJJazz666, sberger and 3 others like this.
  23. Dahabenzapple

Cecil Taylor: Olu Iwa

I just listened to the shorter (~27 minutes) of the 2 tracks - the quartet with Thurman Barker, William Parker & Steve McCall

been a while and it hit me very hard this AM. Tremendous dynamics - one of the great Taylor performances.

recorded live in Berlin on 4/11/86 (the larger group 48 minute piece recorded the next day - with Brotzmann, Earl McIntyre & Frank Wright added)

soul note records

24. Dahabenzapple

Keith Rowe/Graham Lambkin: Making A

wonderful to transition from Cecil to this

Over C 12:00
    Making A 15:15
    Wet B 15:15

2 of my favorite avant-garde musicians/inventors

recorded on 1/17 & 1/18/2013 at Empty Stage Studios, Poughkeepsie, NY

erstwhile records

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Part of the great Soul Note box of his. Amazing stuff. All of it.