Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening" Thread Starter

Brotz is almost 73, I wonder if he feels the impending hand of fate and is trying to get in as much playing as he can? Wait, 73? Geezus, and he still can blow like that? Every time I've talked with him he's got a little stogie in his mouth. Good genes.

2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

jay.dee likes this.
  3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

One more Bailey from his heyday. Dedicated to late Aquirax Aida.

A real beauty.

4. JazzLife

JazzLife Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Joel Futterman - INNERACTION- JDF LP. With Jimmy Lyons, Richard Davis, and Robert Adkins. Channeling the spirit of Cecil Taylor. Plenty of fire here.
    I've only seen Futterman once, quite some time ago. I recall he was carrying a Sony Walkman around with him, and popping CDs into it from time to time. I asked him what he was listening to and he said, "Coltrane." Walked up to the stage listening.

Ilovefooty and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  5. AxiomAcoustics

Bit of freakout music for lunch. This is an offshoot of Acid Mothers Temple blah blah blah. Part of Kawabata Makoto's Private Tapes series. Great handmade packaging with a CDR inside and hand numbered. I've got #32 of either 100 (according to the cover) or 50 (according to his discog).
    Kawa.jpeg
    Hopefully this is cool, no censorship please.:cop:

MungoMusic and klockwerk like this.
  6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Toru Takemitsu composed for Akira Kurosawa's DODES'KA-DEN. It brings tears to your eyes.

-Sphinx-, MungoMusic and Matheusms like this.
  7. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Great call on this one. I purchased this set a month ago or so and it did not leave my player for some two weeks. Both core quartet shows, Creation Ensemble and "Raining on the Moon" sextet gig are my faves here. In my private ranking I place this core quartet on the same level as now legendary Peter Brötzmann's "Die Like A Dog" quartet, whose double "Little Birds Have Fast Hearts" (FMP) belongs to my short-list of top live recordings. Is the same rhythm section the key to the brilliance of both formations?

As for William Parker's discography, my desert island pick is "Double Sunrise over Neptune", recorded at the Vision Festival in 2007. A stunning musical statement, both in the terms of composition, arrangement, stylistic range and... "spirit". Whomever I have ever played that one, it never failed to move the listener. A rare feat for the music, which is usually filed under the "unapproachable" avantgarde tag.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  8. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Another Takemitsu's masterpice for a film.

-Sphinx-, MungoMusic and kstaken like this.
  9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

From France. P. Sarde's crazy score to a Costa-Gavras' flick.

10. JazzLife

Nifty packaging. :love::oops: It seems like Acid Mothers has released about a 1000 albums, and I'm only just now sort of paying attention to them. I still don't really have a good idea of their music. Whatever it is, they are prolific. However, I did pick up a copy of SON OF A BITCHES BREW and hope to give it some play soon. If anyone has some recs, lay them on me.

11. AxiomAcoustics

I know, too much to stay up on with them. I only have a smattering myself, BB being one and tasty. Also, Hot Rattlesnakes. It can be hit and miss. I think Are We Experimental was a little unfocused, in relative terms of course.
    HRA.jpg

MungoMusic likes this.
  12. JazzLife

Speaking of Herr Brotzmann an Mr. Drake, just enjoyed:

[​IMG]

THE ATLANTA CONCERT -Brotzmann, Fred Hopkins (b), Hamid Drake (d). OkkaDisk LP (ltd/numbered). Some hard blowing here. Brotzmann may have lost half a step these days in terms of power, but that still leaves him playing twice as hard as almost anybody else.

13. AxiomAcoustics

Great slab, can't read your number, I've got 094. I wish Okka would have done more vinyl issues.

I think what he's lost in velocity has been made up for with a melancholic lyricism, some of the screams have been replaced with cries. I was having a conversation with another fan I connected with via Amazon (?!) and he thinks Peter may be a nihilist. I think it's not nihilism but rather Weltschmerz.

14. JazzLife

I've always thought of him as a Stoic. My take is that he's never been only about raw power, although it can come off that way sometimes. There is plenty of modulation. And think about that Kenneth Patchen (!!) album. Indicative that there are cries and whispers in his music.

15. AxiomAcoustics

Regarding Die Like A Dog. I thought I had everything: All four FMP releases and the Eremite with Roy Campbell. The box set is a reissue of the four FMP's. But, in trolling around the Catalytic Sound site today I came across this on FMP:
    DLD.jpg
    Anyone have a clue ? New release? Recorded in 1994.

jay.dee likes this.
  16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

jay.dee and zphage like this.
  17. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Just noticed these forthcoming on Tzadik. Seems that 2014 isn't the year that Zorn slows down.

John Zorn: Psychomagia [#8313]
    Psychomagia is the new album by the fabulous quartet of Abraxas, the acclaimed Moroccan Rock arrangements for the Book of Angels series. Here they perform a complex new suite of music written expressly for them by Downtown alchemist John Zorn. Drawing inspiration from the magical writings of Giordano Bruno and Alejandro Jodorowski and others, Zorn has written a bold collection of compositions that challenge the musicians to the breaking point. With a program ranging from some of the most intense ritualistic sounds you are likely to hear to tender minimalistic odes, this is a surprising new volume in Zorn’s mystic series that matches the intensity and power of Moonchild, PainKiller and Naked City. Recorded at Orange Music and mixed by Bill Laswell. Essential.
    (Release date: February 2014)

John Zorn: The Alchemist [#8314]
    Zorn’s string quartets are some of the most important modern contributions to the canon and a new Zorn quartet is truly a cause for celebration. His sixth quartet is inspired by the hermetic Angelic actions of John Dee and his mystical medium Edward Kelley and contains some of the most intense contrapuntal writing he has yet achieved. Replete with the procedures of distillation, calcination, crystallization, sublimation, purification, rotation as well numerology, prayers, canons, contrapuntal complexity and the ghost of a familiar fugue, this music is part séance, part science, and all Zorn—in short, a trip through an alchemist’s laboratory! Performed here by Zorn’s own Quartet, this is the definitive recording of this important and powerful string quartet, already considered a modern classic. Also included is Zorn’s mystical response to the ancient Newgrange sacred site in Ireland, a beautiful and evocative setting of Amergin, one of the oldest Celtic sacred texts, written for three female voices.
    (Release date: February 2014)

John Zorn: Fragmentations, Prayers And Interjections [#8315]
    The first release of Zorn’s orchestral work in over 15 years, this CD brings together four of Zorn’s compositions for large ensembles including the legendary Orchestra Variations (1996) commissioned by the New York Philharmonic and the monumental masterwork Suppots et Suppliciations (2012) commissioned by the BBC Symphony and inspired by the late writings of Antonin Artaud. Also included is the definitive performance of Zorn’s violin concerto Contes de Fees, brilliantly performed by Chris Otto, and the lush string orchestra version of Zorn’s soulful Kol Nidre. Performed here by a special hand-picked orchestra of New York virtuosos under the baton of maestro David Fulmer and recorded live at Miller Theatre for Zorn’s 60th birthday concert, this is the orchestra like you have never heard it before. Spectacular, dramatic and colorful music passionately performed by 83 dedicated new music masters—a special release indeed!
    (Release date: March 2014)

AxiomAcoustics and jay.dee like this.
  19. AxiomAcoustics

Ilovefooty likes this.
  20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

BLACK SAINT BSR 0008

Ilovefooty and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  21. JazzLife

I think this was included in the FMP box set, "FMP Im Ruckblick." I got the box but do not have it handy. After the box was issued, FMP, despite what it said initially, released some of the titles in individual issues. I think this is one of them. Grab it if still available. I'm glad to have the box, with its book on the history of FMP music and all the great music.

22. AxiomAcoustics

Thanks! So even though I have all the individual FMP releases:
    Ayler
    Little Birds 1&2
    Aoyama
    It's worth getting the box as well?

According to what I've read the one in question was not in the box, which was four discs.

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Luciano Berio / Sequenza V for solo trombone

Karlheinz Stockhausen / In Freundschaft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOf5VPjQ1us

On Sequenza V, the player must wear costume as the composer requested.
    In the case of In Freundschaft, it can be played on any instrument but only bassoon player is required to wear the costume.

24. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

Some of you may not consider this avant garde enough, but I have been listening to 7 SKIES H3, the 24 hour song by the Flaming Lips. I have been streaming it on their 'official site'. Most of what Ive heard is very interesting to say the least. Every time I check in, I'm hearing a new section. I wish there was a way to pause it, and start again where you left off. This morning I heard a very nice 'song-like' section with vocals (the first Ive heard). Ive heard a lot of cool atmospheric, Floydian, sound collage type sections at other times. I really like it, but then again I'm already a big Lips fan.

johnnypaddock likes this.