Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Disquiet - Paul Corley

This has a lot of the hallmarks of Basinski. It's got more movement, but the same tone, and should be right up the street of anyone who enjoys Basinski's languid, yearning, music. I can't say much else, since I don't really know much about Corley. I found this CD in a box I was going through, I guess I ordered it some time ago.

Very very nice if you want a laid back sound that has enough going on to allow you to weave your own narratives.

Ships in a six panel digipac.

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  2. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Ahh, just saw this. Yes, but not much these days. Was very active in avant- garde circles from the early 70’s - early 80’s in NYC. Am on a dozen or so labels, have composed around 100 pieces. Most recently have been giving concerts of music for toy piano though bass and percussion are my main instruments. My last few CDs are all electronic/electro acoustic. Was also active in Gamelan circles.

ChristopherTeuma and Morpheus like this.
  3. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Tigran Hamasyan, Arve Henriksen, Eivind Aarset, Jan Bang - Atmospheres (2016).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jiffypopinski, royzak2000 and Vaughan like this.
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Always thrilled when this thread pops back up.

Lately I've been enjoying this release. Teitelbaum works on electronic instruments, whereas Yokoyama is playing traditional Japanese instruments. The album starts like a classical Japanese piece but over the 20-minute running time comes to a crescendo of fabulous noise.

This is a New World Records release, so you know it's well recorded. A fine album.

5. Dulzaina

Dulzaina Well-Known Member

A mix by Lea Willikens.

Also some Oren Ambarchi.

jiffypopinski and 93curr like this.
  6. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

So is there anything available to hear, I'm always curious. I used to mess around with some of it, and have a friend up in the New Jersey area that still makes music. Gary Hayden on Amazon Music

7. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

8. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Berlioz fantastic Symphony was about as Avant-Guard as music could be, before the term was even thought off, written three years after the death of Beethoven, how cool.

Luisboa, 93curr and Morpheus like this.
  9. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I like this guy's YT channel as he'll talk about a lot of avant classical and modernist composers:

Mazzy, Luisboa and Vaughan like this.
  10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a recent purchase, and Im so glad to have it. I was already a Chicago underground fan, and have lots of CD's of Bill Dixon, so one has to wonder why I waited as long as I did. No matter, it's here now. Three long meandering pieces that varies from a cacophonous roar to moody drone. Hey, you can do that when every track is 18 minutes long.

Dixon is playing his processed Trumpet here, which can come across like samples. he uses a lot of echo, reverb, and/or small loops. Still, it's nothing you won't have heard from him before stylistically.

If you like the Dixon you hear here, or want a stripped back performance in a similar vein, grab this:

[​IMG]

Mind you, anything with "Tony Oxley" printed on the cover should be bought anyway. ;)

medium Rob, jay.dee, Moebius and 6 others like this.
  11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Goes without saying what this is. Haino isn't playing guitar here, he does vocals and... well to be honest I'm sitting in the day writing this, so I can't check. Either way, this is good stuff and a fine collaboration.

12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Okay, so in the daylight I was able to read the liner notes. As I suspected, Haino is only on vocals with this one. It takes nothing away from a great performance.

Still, I wanted to hear the great guy play his guitar and wail at the same time, so I played this:

[​IMG]

Nazoranai

Four tracks, shortest being 10 minutes, longest 24 minutes. It's an incredible journey, and if the mood is right, full of enlightenment.

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

14. Tokyo Ghost

Final - 2 (1996).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

93curr likes this.
  15. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

I know this is an old comment. But how does the vinyl release compare to the final mix? Is it worth getting despite the mix-up?

16. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Hmm, I’m not sure I’ve listened to anything except the vinyl. The only mixup that I noticed was that the sleeves were mislabeled.

This 2 record set is still my favorite of his releases, so yes: grab it!

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

18. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

The reason I asked was because of this review on Discogs: “Jefre’s original files, not the version mastered by Stephan Mathieu. The included download also contains the original, unmastered files.”

19. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Way Out Yonder--Terry + Gyan Riley recorded live. d/l at Bandcamp

20. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

For fans of great free jazz sax and very early (72) synth explorations.

[​IMG]

jiffypopinski and mw1917 like this.
  22. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

24. Tokyo Ghost

Black Engine - Ku Klux Klowns (2007).

[​IMG]

Liquid Len likes this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Damn i've been loving this one. It's a very odd album, but it just creates a strange mood that hangs in the air like dust particles. Stylistically all over the place, track length varies madly. Just great.

jay.dee and johnnypaddock like this.