Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Also last night I had a browse through the vinyl racks and found this - new from Rough Trade comprising the original 1979 Incus album plus two sides recorded around the same time for the BBC programme Jazz in Britain.

[​IMG]

Not sure why it didn't rate a mention in Ben Watson's book about Bailey as it's a great listen.

Starwanderer, 93curr and Vaughan like this.
  2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Chris Corsano & Bill Orcutt-Live At Various
    [​IMG]

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I've been enjoying some John Cage this evening. Four Walls is a really nice piece, and of course this is on New Worlds Records, ensuring a stellar recording. Wonderful stuff.

4. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Not brand new but I'm listening to Univers Zero Live, Regarding Purgatories by Dave Kerman, and some Hamster Theatre.

93curr and jay.dee like this.
  5. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

6. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Weird stuff from pianist and maker of sounds Irwin Stache.
    The cleverly designed case creaks like a door when opened.
    [​IMG]

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I so wish somebody would do something like this in the San Francisco/Bay Area.

8. Don't forget Mills College in Oakland:

Home | Mills Performing Arts

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Of course not. I live only a few minutes from Mills and my daughter went to middle school on the Mills campus. They have some great programs, but nothing compared to the 3 days of Big Ears, or the kinds of performances one can see almost daily in the NY metro area. The Bay Area badly needs to step up on the avant garde music scene.

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Samara Lubelski-Bill Nace LP

Only 250 pressed up happy to have been able to grab one. Two artists whom I deeply admire and respect.

[​IMG]

johnnypaddock likes this.
  11. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

This mix by Kelly Moran of some highlights from her self-released albums, compiled at the behest of The Wire. Most of this isn't prepared piano, rather compositions for small groups; she reaches her prepared piano music about 2/3rds of the way through. She's one of my absolute favourite musicians and composers right now.

Wire Mix: Kelly Moran

sberger likes this.
  12. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

13. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

Oren Ambarchi has some new work that is very, very nice.

Also, slightly on topic, Laurel Halo should be releasing something soon that should be good.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

If you want to start the day on an off-kilter kind of vibe, then here you go. I just played this in its entirety - 2 hours and 40 minutes of readings, improvs, and..... sounds. All very lo-fi, all quite strange. During one lengthy reading (of what sounded like a table fo contents) a phone rings in the background, and someone picks it up and has a conversation. Yeah, it's that kind of weird. You're either in with this stuff, or you're totally out. Such a strange start to the day.

16. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Wasn’t able to get to any of the Fred Frith shows at the end of last month but now that I’m streaming on Tidal I’m digging into the 3 CD Live @ The Stone compilation on Intakt Records.

Sounding wonderful as I’m into the first disc:)

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Incredible package. Still dipping my toes into it and loving every note.

18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I have the originals. 'Large Ladies' still seems to be fine, but 'Sugar Fish' has developed pretty bad PDO rot. I'm vaguely temped by this but, honestly, I'm just so financially exhausted by all the constant reissuing and repackaging of the NWW back catalog lately, that I'm just about to surrender. I was expecting that, after they put out 'Gyllenskold, Geijerstam' on CD with both the original and remixed versions that they'd follow suit with 'Brained By Falling Masonry' and I could just retire both compilations, but that really doesn't seem to be a priority for 'em, I plumb reckon.

octophone likes this.
  19. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Funny, I'm the other way around, my SFD is fine, my Large Ladies went manky!!

The reissues do appear to be totally scattershot; I'd expected "Brained..." as well but it seems that "Gyllenskold" happened for the same reason as "Insect And Individual Silenced" - Kevin Spencer had cleaned up a vinyl rip for his own listening pleasure and offered it to Stapleton. Someone in the Facebook group said Stapleton and Spencer fell out but who knows?

Also weird - there were 3 vinyl only "art edition" LPs - "The Great Ecstacy Of The Basic Corrupt" gets a CD edition with one side of "Silver Bromide" added...so, naturally, we expect "Xerography" to come out with the other side of "Silver Bromide"? No? No, but here's Soliloquy For Lilith on CD for the 4th time.

93curr likes this.
  20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

[​IMG]

93curr and jay.dee like this.
  21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This sucker in noisy, abrasive, and wild. Which is precisely what you'd expect. If you don't like music that is noisy, abrasive, and wild, then you probably shouldn't be buying albums with Keijo Haino on them. Still, that doesn't apply to anyone who stumbles into this thread. :)

Mr. H, 93curr, JMAC and 2 others like this.
  23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

For some reason, haven't explored Haino's work yet. He's got so much stuff out will have to do some research to figure out where to begin. Because I am one for noisy, abrasive and wild:agree:

Just finished a listen to this which would fit in that category, although Orcutt never fails me with his pure inventiveness and creativity while creating his racket.

[​IMG]

Here's the title cut that he and Heule performed at my local record store for the release of this:

24. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

Has anyone here seen Sarah Davachi live? Specifically I mean recently, as I'm really interested in her new work.

Also, 'Manhunter' by James Rushford and Joe Talia is worth a listen if you haven't heard it yet. High quality in my opinion.