Avatar - The Way of Water - Dec 16/2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

FWIW, I'm sensitive to too-loud movies and I had no issues with this one.

So hopefully your screening won't be too bad! :)

Judge Judy likes this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Move on to something you actually enjoy....this **** is getting really old.

Oatsdad and MichaelH like this.
  3. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

We saw this in IMAX 3D because the first Avatar was just amazing in 3D. Our local theater charged us over $20 a ticket, even though we went to a 9:40 am showing to avoid the crowds. This movie could have waited until it was streamed. Very disappointed in the premise/plot/storyline. The visuals of course were great, but the storyline was so thin.

Everyone in the theater kept yelling for them to turn down the sound because it was so extremely loud during the trailers.

Could not wrap my head around the two main characters having children, and why the antagonist had to be brought back as a Navi.

First time back in the theater in about 3 years. Really didn't need to for this movie.

yesstiles likes this.
  4. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I’m not sure why this bothers you. You are an adult with agency who is not required to see this movie (or any other), and no one in this thread is comparing James Cameron to Akira Kurosawa or Orson Welles. Everyone seems very clear that these are popcorn movies.

Square Hammer, Oatsdad and MichaelH like this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Titanic was a phenomenon. Probably for the reason nobody expected.

Women, with emphasis on young women would return time and time again to rewatch the movie, most likely with their friends.

This continued on after the initial normal tentacle movie impact.

My thoughts are, this tenacity gave the movie enough glue to be retained in the theaters. Which in turn aroused the curiosity of others, maybe mostly older adults to go to see it.

So not only did the young female demographic add to the box office, it provided the retention necessary for additional viewers.

This was kind of the perfect storm. Effective, but largely unexpected.

64FALCON and MichaelH like this.
  6. SandAndGlass

Something I simply do not understand either. I haven't encountered it at all here in Tennessee, but back in Florida, very much so.

Besides growing up on rock concerts, since the age of sixteen, I have owned Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater horn speakers. In addition, My home theater has two ninety-nine pound main speakers plus a center channel speaker that are driven by 250-Watt amplifiers.

Suffice it to say, that loud moments in movies are usually confined to specific scenes or events.

I am fine with this at home and listen to the normal parts of a movie at around 75-dB, which is 10-dB. less than the standard 85-dB volume level in theaters.

Yet they play these trailers at ridiculously loud volume levels. Most times, I would have gotten up, went to the management and more told than asked, them to turn the volume down.

But, when the actual movies would come on, the volume level was always OK and I never had any issues with it.

So why the trailers are that loud, makes no sense to me at all? I can kink of understand a trailer for a Transformers action or disaster movie, but movies with normal dialog, not at all.

RSteven likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

Though you do have this within a "Spoiler", I think it is hardly necessary. Since early in the first Avatar, the Navi were family units with Jake and Natari being a mated pair.

Noting, that the children are featured in every trailer and specifically mentioned in this thread.

But to continue...

I am not understanding why this would be a key point that you could "not wrap my head around"?

Since this 2nd movie obviously takes place many years in the future, what would you expect?

Even the ending of the final Harry Potter film, shows the principal characters as adults who got married and had children of their own.

That one is simple, it was the only basis for a plot in the movie.

The entire movie arc was about his personal vendetta. That was the entire plot line of the movie.

No one else cared what Jake was or was not doing. The corporation was not aware of him now having a family. They weren't even focused on his clan. The current mission was on the other side of the world, killing the whales, for their fluid. Jake and Natari wouldn't even had been there otherwise.

MichaelH likes this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

The RDA wanted to stop the constant raids of their supplies and equipment by Jake and his team of warriors. Quaritch and his squad of recoms are given the assignment of bringing Jake in or killing him outright whatever it takes to stop the raids. I don't think the RDA cares one iota about the Na'vi, the new mission is full colonization along with resource extractions it's only when the Na'vi get in the way of their goals that they become a problem and Jake is a major one for them.

I'm curious to see where they go with this in A3 with the introduction of another tribe that appears to be a lot more sympathetic to the RDA. Good humans/bad humans, good Na'vi, bad Na'vi, Cameron did mention The Godfather a few times over the years, who do trust even within your own tribe?

WoW reminds me a little bit of the recent Dune movie, laying the foundation for the next one.

Unknown Delight and MichaelH like this.
  9. SandAndGlass

Yeah, but that aspect was played down in favor of emphasis on the personal vendetta aspect. If the RDA simply wanted to target Jake, they could easily have done so without bringing back the antagonist from the first movie.

In theory, the Navi could or should have stopped the RDA when they first returned, but they failed to do so. A year later, they were back in numbers and were again heavily fortified.

The Navi could not have defeated or stopped the RDA had it not been for their all out assault, including all of the tribes and the animals.

Major plot hole. I was thinking this while watching WoW.

A very little bit. Dune was only part one of a specific two part movie.

James Bond movies being a notable exception, but most franchises set the stage for sequels, in one way or another.

Here you introduce the new characters and then you reintroduce them and develop them in the next chapter.

MichaelH likes this.
  10. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

We saw this in regular 3D today, I have to say that this movie is some serious eye candy. I missed out on Avatar in the theatre years ago and regretted that.

the story was ok, some corny parts and a few odd plot holes or character choices, especially near the end. But, I unfortunately expect that in movies these days. It was still decent enough, the family unit staying together and fighting the bad guys while being outcasts. It was well done for an all ages audience.

The film and musical score was gorgeous. I couldn’t figure out if this was filmed live action and then rendered into the computer graphics. It was a visual treat, I can’t think of many other films you can even compare it to.

Im glad I saw this in a theatre though, just watching this on tv would not have done it for me. I’ll definitely see the next one.

RSteven, MichaelH and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Jake was an avatar. Not a real Navi. Avatar was a long time ago so I dont remember what Jake's mind was put into...hus avatar? If so, no biological functions exist to procreate.

So how was he able to procreate with Natari?

12. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Amen!

13. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

At the end of the first Avatar he became fully Navi when Neytiri rescued him and brought him to the tree. So since he's now fully Navi he's able to mate and have children with Neytiri.

14. SandAndGlass

The Avatar's are supposed to be exact copies of the Navi's DNA, or whatever they have that is equivalent.

Jake is a male Navi, in the same way that Grace is obviously a female Navi. Jake and Natari mated and bonded in Avatar.

There was nothing given that the Avatar bodies were sterile?

In every way that was apparent, Avatar's were distinctly male and female.

15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

1.4 Billion already.

I'm guessing 2 Billion possible.

SandAndGlass and MichaelH like this.
  16. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I read in NYT today that Cameron futzed around with faster frame rates in some places to eliminate blurring. This can appear distracting to some people, akin to what's called soap opera effect. To those of you who enjoy this kind of stuff great. I can't make it past two hours myself unless there's an intermission.

17. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

It's a mind-blowing movie with an emotionally charged storyline. It's definitely worth making two billion.

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It’s because this piece of garbage will make a lot of money so people will think it’s a masterpiece. It’s junk it’s awful. It’s stupid. And it’s stolen. James Cameron is a hack.

James Cameron Sparks Major Backlash After Revealing 'Avatar 3' Plot Copies From Popular Franchise

According to Culture Crave, director James Cameron has come forward detailing the overall plot and concept of the upcoming sequel to Avatar: The Way of Water featuring an antagonistic tribe of “Fire Na’vi”:

James Cameron says #Avatar 3 will explore a new Fire Na’vi tribe known as the ‘Ash People’

(in thread) “I want to show the Na’vi in a different light … so far, I have only shown their good sides … In ‘Avatar 3’, we will do the opposite”

And the public response? Not all that positive.

Immediately, Cameron was called out by people who made the quick connection between the similarity of plot from the element-based Avatar‘s Four Nations and the new blue alien Avatarfocusing on element-based Na’vi nations. Assaf Chriqui on Twitter boldly posits:

So he just copying Avatar the Last Airbender?
    The Avatar franchise started with Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko-helmed animated original series, Avatar: The Last Airbender, which ran from 2005 to 2008 on Disney rival, Nickelodeon (currently owned by Paramount Global). The Last Airbender (also known as The Legend of Aang in some regions) was aimed at kids, though also had its fair share of adult fans. Avatar received critical acclaim amid explosive popularity back in the early 2000s — even getting a bit of a “second wind” during the COVID-19 pandemic when the series came to Netflix, where it began gaining a whole new audience of adults re-watching the show or even just watching it for the first time. The Last Airbender takes place in a world where Four Nations based on the elements of Earth, Water, Fire, and Air are thrown out of balance, after the Fire Nation decided to attack everyone else. The show was about kids growing up during war-time discovering “The Last Airbender” frozen in ice, named Aang — who turns out to be the “Avatar”, a being who could Bend all Four Elements. Despite being prophesied to bring an end to the Fire Nation’s terrible conquest — the catch is that Aang is a fun-loving, untrained twelve-year-old. Avatar depicted a grand arc where these kids changed the course of the war and defeated Fire-Lord Ozai (Mark Hamill) (and his scheming daughter Princess Azula (Grey DeLisle)).

In fact, Giancarlo Volpe, Avatar: The Last Airbender‘s director, came out just last December with information that James Cameron’s Avatar was the reason the show could not use the title “Avatar” — as Cameron had claimed the rights to the name years before it debuted. Volpe calls Cameron out with his choice of his 2022 sequel being titled Way of Water, and makes a reference to the ever-increasing similarity that Cameron is creating with his Avatar franchise, jokingly stating that if Cameron’s “part 3” references “Firebending”, then it’s time to “riot”:

In 2004 we learned that we had to change the name of our show from “Avatar” to “Avatar the Last Airbender” because James Cameron already had the rights to a movie called Avatar.

Now the sequel is called “The Way of Water.”

If part 3 is called “The Firebending Masters” we riot

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

This is what he does. He rants and raves and implies his taste to be superior and you're sheeple/stupid if you disagree. :sigh:

MichaelH likes this.
  20. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

He reads like someone who should be pushing a shopping cart down the street and barking into a megaphone about reptilian overlords.

Oatsdad and MichaelH like this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What? You’re not a free speech absolutist like Elon?

Sorry I just hate to see intelligent people get ripped off paying to see a video game trailer in 3-D IMAX. He thinks he’s creating some Tolkien landscape or creating a mythology rich as Frank Herbert that will live for generations, when what he’s doing is cribbing the cheesiest aspects of World War II “Give em hell, Johnny,” movies and recycled “films of consciousness” from Hollywood. As someone said, he’s simply replaced his “save the forests” theme with “save the whales.” Lol And people will sit and watch that for three hours. Well, sure, they will also watch America’s Got Talent for a decade.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  22. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

The hot air in the thread is helping heat my house tonight.

MichaelH likes this.
  23. Square Hammer

Square Hammer Forum Resident

If I want to watch a drama I’ll stream it at home. I watched Avatar to have a great experience and escape from reality for a few hours.

MichaelH and Oatsdad like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

There is something to be said for the lack of originality in this way overlong movie.

We were warned at the end on #1 that the evil corporation would return. What a surprise, it did. Only now they aren't after their precious unobtainium, and we have sentient whales they are after instead.

Then, we have the bad guy, who was killed off. But like Voldermot, he's back! Didn't they just do this very same thing in Star Wars?

Remember when Lucas had us all believing that he had the entire nine film franchise all figured out?

Then #7 was a remake of #4 and since they didn't really have a real story and Darth Vader was no longer around. What better to do than bring back the other bad guy who was destroyed?

When you don't really have a well thought out scripted story, you have to wing-it as you go, Ed Wood style of movie making.

We could have had a somewhat normal length movie, like the first one. This was likely brought to Cameron's attention. He likely replied, "I know what I'm doing, I've done this before..."

Breaking the movie down into three acts:

Act 1: Some years have now passed since the first movie and we need to bring the audience up to speed with the present.

Act 2: The first movie took place in a forest, so we need to move this chapter to a different environment.

They did this with Bond movies and every Star Wars movie.

Act 2, is an amalgam of every teen movie from the 80's as rendered Navi style. We completely break away from the realities of war and conflict and set up shop in an idyllic sea side village where the young ones learn to swim.

We are now in a completely different movie than we were in Act 1. We even have a kid with unknown parents, just like the Rey character from Star Wars. We've known since Annie and Harry Potter that audiences have empathy for orphans.

Act 3: we are again back where Act 1 left off and the movie morphs into a Rambo like action flick.

At this point I will place my take on Act 3 in a Spoiler Alert...

So now we have another big epic battle scene. Just like the ending of Harry Potter, most Star Wars movies, the Twilight Saga, Starship Troopers, The Chronicles of Narnia and more than a few other Hollywood epic movies, including Avatar.

When the fight got to the ship, I said to myself, this is it. They are going to run the clock out with a never ending drawn out battle on this boat.

Now, in many of these other movies I have mentioned, the final battle scene is epic. The future of life and worlds are at stake. But no, this is just a protracted fight on a boat where the bad guy dies near the end and the family is saved.

Reminded me of the ending fight on the ship in Waterworld (a truly stupid experience if there ever was one).

I can hear Cameron explaining this one; Don't worry, I did this other movie where the entire 3rd Act was on a sinking boat. Believe me, it will work. Besides we really don't have any other well thought out ending.

The bad guy will have a soft spot in his heart for the human kid, it worked with that Darth Vader character. What about Harrison Ford's final Star Wars scene?

What other movie lasts almost an hour and fifteen minutes with the synopsis being the entire story line? What other movie lasts this long with absolutely no character development? What other movie brings in this much top notch acting talent and nobody can recognize them because they are big blue Aliens. Except for Sigourney, who plays a teenager, who happens also to be blue and we don't recognize her either.

Waiting for Fire...

agentalbert, yesstiles and RSteven like this.
  25. Square Hammer

Square Hammer Forum Resident

The bro and cuz lines made me cringe I’ll admit.