Avatar - The Way of Water - Dec 16/2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Apr 27, 2022.

1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

IDK... I think the 80's pales in comparison to the cold war era of the early sixties and the hippies mantra of nuclear destruction in the later 60's and early 70's.

GregM and RSteven like this.
  2. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Seems like a clear as day metaphor with a multitude of characters accepting their inevitable fate as the ship sinks. There’s a reason disaster movies came back in the 90s. Same with alien invasion films. It was cashing in on the social phenomenon of fear related to the turn of the century. This fear was a real phenomenon.

W
    hat Cameron expertly did was cash in on that fear and put it in a romantic and artful context. I’m certainly not alone in this opinion. I’d argue that understanding the appeal of any film requires understanding the culture of the time.

3. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Not quite. I agree with you on the composition. I think Prince wrote it as a metaphor for the apocalypse, but it became something of a cultural meme.

But songs take on different meanings as they age. “Party like it’s 1999” was a pretty common phrase in the 90s and it didn’t hurt the song’s popularity (though Prince hardly needed the help). But I think as it got closer to the millennium, people started actually listening to the lyrics of the song as well and misread it as being literal.

In more superstitious circles, there was a real sense that 2000 was the end. These were the same types of people that also predicted 2012 would be the end of the world. And while normal people laughed at these ideas, they still seeped into the collective unconscious. Especially when it’s coming from a number of directions. Even the skeptic might check in with themselves at some point and ask how sure they were about the future, when people are screaming “the end is near.”

64FALCON likes this.
  4. SandAndGlass

There have been horror movies, monster movies and the world ends science fiction movies, every decade since cinema began.

The last couple of decades was no exception.

GregM likes this.
  5. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

I remember the late HAROLD E. CAMPING predicting the end of the world in October 2011. (EDIT: I looked it up. It was Oct. 21, 2011 to be exact). He used to run Family Radio out of Oakland, California. Harold died in 2013 at age 92, but I remember him from Family Radio and his call-in show (because I got through to it twice and asked him 2 questions on-air).

From my best recollections he would best be described as being very literal about Biblical things. He admitted after the "end of the world" fiasco that he and, by continuance, Family Radio were no longer interested in making any more predictions about the end of the world.

Crack To The Egg likes this.
  6. SandAndGlass

When you go around proclaiming "The End Is Near", at the age of ninety, people are going to believe you! :frog:

7. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I think that's nonsense.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Another look behind the scenes (Production design).

9. Deuce66

VFX artists including one of the supervisors from Weta who worked on Way of Water discuss and breakdown a few scenes.

Niko and Wren are joined by VFX Supervisor Eric Saindon of Weta FX to discuss the groundbreaking techniques and technology used to create Avatar: The Way of Water.

10. Deuce66

No word yet on Blu/4K or Disney +.

Return to Pandora whenever you want at home, only on Digital March 28. Get access to over three hours of never-before-seen extras when you add Avatar The Way of Water to your movie collection.
    [​IMG]

Per a Disney press release, the complete list of extras is as follows:

Inside Pandora’s Box (A series of featurettes on the challenges facing cast and crew as filmmakers devise new technologies to push the limits of cinema)
    • Building the World of Pandora – James Cameron and a team of talented artists combine years of research with their design skills to build the world of Pandora with new characters, creatures, indigenous clans, underwater environments, and the take-no-prisoners hard-tech world of the RDA.

• Capturing Pandora – James Cameron’s approach to performance capture has the cast performing in a volume rigged with infrared cameras to capture their movement, and head rig cameras to capture emotion on their faces with only the boundaries of imagination to limit them.

• The Undersea World of Pandora – Co-production designer Dylan Cole and his team conceive of the marine creatures required for Avatar: The Way of Water while James Cameron and his stunt team devise extraordinary means to bring those creatures to life in a performance capture tank.

• The Challenges of Pandora’s Waters – James Cameron tackles the “non-trivial challenge” of performance capture above and below the water’s surface, utilizing a wave machine and current generator to reproduce ocean conditions, and underwater vehicles to replicate creature movement.

• Pandora’s Returning Characters – James Cameron reunites with his returning cast—Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldaña, Sigourney Weaver, and Stephen Lang. Together they discuss the amazing evolution of their characters in Avatar: The Way of Water.

• Pandora’s Next Generation – Meet the talented young newcomers who have been cast as the next generation of Na’vi and follow them through the adventure of making Avatar: The Way of Water.

• Spider’s Web – James Cameron introduced the human character of Spider into the fabric of Pandora—thus creating a host of technological challenges on set… and an incredible journey for the young actor, Jack Champion.

• Becoming Na’vi – The Avatar cast is immersed in the culture of the indigenous Na’vi, living off the land in the Hawaiian rainforest and training in a multitude of disciplines in preparation for their roles.

• The Reef People of Pandora – In true James Cameron-style, the Metkayina reef clan has been developed with great attention to detail, bearing unique evolutionary traits and a culture—with new dwellings, new clothes and different way of life—all a result of living off the ocean.

• Bringing Pandora to Life – Once James Cameron completes his virtual production process, every sequence is turned over to Wētā FX to bring Pandora to life—with unprecedented advancements in facial performance, environments and making CG water look real.

• The RDA Returns to Pandora – Co-production designer Ben Procter and his team present an armada of new vehicles and human technologies that the RDA brings to Pandora—in concept design and with practical builds.

• The New Characters of Pandora – Meet the important new characters of the Avatar saga played by Kate Winslet, Cliff Curtis, Edie Falco, Brendan Cowell, and Jemaine Clement.

• The Sounds of Pandora – Hear how James Cameron worked with composer Simon Franglen to create the distinctive music of The Way of Water while building on James Horner’s brilliant score for Avatar, and learn how Chris Boyes created the immersive sounds of Pandora.

• New Zealand – Pandora’s Home – The production of the Avatar sequels is so thoroughly ensconced in New Zealand that James Cameron considers The Way of Water a “New Zealand film.” Hear reflections from the cast and crew, including the remarkable New Zealand crew, on making the film.
    More from Pandora’s Box (Additional featurettes that highlight special teams within the production)
    • Casting – Discover the screen tests that won the talented young cast their roles in Avatar: The Way of Water.

• Stunts – The Avatar stunt team isn’t just creating breathtaking action, they’re driving the story. From racing underwater on ilus, flying the skies on ikrans, to maneuvering RDA speed boats, the stunt team leaves you breathless and wanting more.

• The Lab – Explore the Lightstorm Lab, the backbone of virtual production for the Avatar films. Comprised of specialized teams, the Lab builds & supports every aspect of the production—environments, motion edit, Kabuki, sequence, post-viz, and software development.

• The Troupe – Avatar’s Troupe is the Swiss Army Knife of acting, while playing dozens of roles on set, in the performance capture volume and on live-action sets, they bring life to Na’vi clans and RDA Recoms. They also play Na’vi-scale puppets on the live-action sets.
    Marketing Materials & Music Video (Marketing materials used to build audience awareness of the film)
    • Nothing Is Lost (You Give Me Strength) Music Video – Multi-Grammy-winning music superstar the Weeknd performs his emotionally packed end title song in the official music video for the smash hit “Nothing Is Lost (You Give Me Strength).”

• Theatrical Trailers 1 & 2 – Avatar: The Way of Water used two theatrical trailers to engage the audience. The first was a teaser trailer released seven months before the film. The second was a standard trailer that premiered five weeks before the film’s release.

PH416156 likes this.
  11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I bet it's late spring/early summer; it's been the 6th highest grossing film this week in the US..

Audiowannabee and Deuce66 like this.
  12. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I'd love to own this movie on DVD so I can see it whenever I want to.

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Sigourney Weaver Calls 'Master Gardener' Role One Of Her Favorites

14. Fingers crossed for a 3D Blu-ray.

csaudvid likes this.
  15. SandAndGlass

You might be keeping them crossed for a long time? It has been close to a decade since TV sets were sold that could do 3D.

I haven't checked lately. But, is that something that they are still doing?

16. Deuce66

3D discs are still being produced no doubt in very limited quantities.

3D Movies, 3D Blu-ray Movies, 3D Blu-ray Players

17. Deuce66

Next step in the home rollout - Disney + on June 7.

[​IMG]

18. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Hope this means the DVD will be coming soon.

MikaelaArsenault and Deuce66 like this.
  19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

20. Deuce66

Zoe Saldaña Talks 'Special' Reunion with Cast in 'Avatar: The Way of Water' Blu-Ray Content (Exclusive)

PEOPLE can exclusively reveal that the blockbuster sequel — which earned over $2 billion at the box office, becoming the third-highest grossing movie of all time — will become available on 4K UHD, Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD on June 20. The same day, the 2009 original Avatar will also be offered in 4K UHD for the first time.

Director James Cameron says in a statement, "I am grateful that audiences all over the globe went to the theaters to see Avatar: The Way of Water. Now my hope is you will bring the film home and experience the adventure with your family in the best at-home viewing quality possible on 4K Ultra HD."

[​IMG]

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

When "Alita" came out on 4K in 2019, it included a 3D disc as well - at Cameron's insistence.

Of course, the home 3D market's declined even more since 2019, but I still suspect JC will demand its inclusion.

Judge Judy and Plan9 like this.
  22. Deuce66

Read the above post - 3D included surprisingly.

Oatsdad likes this.
  23. Woo hoo! I figured Cameron had the clout to make it happen.

24. Deuce66

from Blu Ray.com

[​IMG]

kevywevy likes this.
  25. Deuce66

More details on the additional material.

Avatar: The Way of Water 4K and 3D Blu-ray

Special Features and Technical Specs:
    • HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
    • DOLBY ATMOS AUDIO TRACK
    • Inside Pandora's Box (A series of featurettes on the challenges facing cast and crew as filmmakers devise new technologies to push the limits of cinema)
      • Building the World of Pandora – James Cameron and a team of talented artists combine years of research with their design skills to build the world of Pandora with new characters, creatures, indigenous clans, underwater environments and the take-no-prisoners hard-tech world of the RDA.
      • Capturing Pandora – James Cameron's approach to performance capture has the cast performing in a volume rigged with infrared cameras to capture their movement, and head rig cameras to capture emotion on their faces with only the boundaries of imagination to limit them.
      • The Undersea World of Pandora – Co-production designer Dylan Cole and his team conceive of the marine creatures required for Avatar: The Way of Water while James Cameron and his stunt team devise extraordinary means to bring those creatures to life in a performance capture tank.
      • The Challenges of Pandora's Waters – James Cameron tackles the "non-trivial challenge" of performance capture above and below the water's surface, utilizing a wave machine and current generator to reproduce ocean conditions, and underwater vehicles to replicate creature movement.
      • Pandora's Returning Characters – James Cameron reunites with his returning cast – Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldaña, Sigourney Weaver and Stephen Lang. Together they discuss the amazing evolution of their characters in Avatar: The Way of Water.
      • Pandora's Next Generation – Meet the talented young newcomers who have been cast as the next generation of Na'vi and follow them through the adventure of making Avatar: The Way of Water.
      • Spider's Web – James Cameron introduced the human character of Spider into the fabric of Pandora – thus creating a host of technological challenges on set…and an incredible journey for the young actor, Jack Champion.
      • Becoming Na'vi – The Avatar cast is immersed in the culture of the indigenous Na'vi, living off the land in the Hawaiian rainforest and training in a multitude of disciplines in preparation for their roles.
      • The Reef People of Pandora – In true James Cameron-style, the Metkayina reef clan has been developed with great attention to detail, bearing unique evolutionary traits and a culture – with new dwellings, new clothes and different way of life – all a result of living off the ocean.
      • Bringing Pandora to Life – Once James Cameron completes his virtual production process, every sequence is turned over to Wētā FX to bring Pandora to life – with unprecedented advancements in facial performance, environments and making CG water look real.
      • The RDA Returns to Pandora – Co-production designer Ben Procter and his team present an armada of new vehicles and human technologies that the RDA brings to Pandora – in concept design and with practical builds.
      • The New Characters of Pandora – Meet the important new characters of the Avatar saga played by Kate Winslet, Cliff Curtis, Edie Falco, Brendan Cowell and Jemaine Clement.
      • The Sounds of Pandora – Hear how James Cameron worked with composer Simon Franglen to create the distinctive music of The Way of Water while building on James Horner's brilliant score for Avatar, and learn how Chris Boyes created the immersive sounds of Pandora.
      • New Zealand – Pandora's Home – The production of the Avatar sequels is so thoroughly ensconced in New Zealand that James Cameron considers The Way of Water a "New Zealand film." Hear reflections from the cast and crew, including the remarkable New Zealand crew, on making the film.
    • More from Pandora's Box (Additional featurettes that highlight special teams within the production)
      • Casting – Discover the screen tests that won the talented young cast their roles in Avatar: The Way of Water.
      • Stunts – The Avatar stunt team isn't just creating breathtaking action, they're driving the story. From racing underwater on ilus, flying the skies on ikrans, to maneuvering RDA speed boats, the stunt team leaves you breathless and wanting more.
      • The Lab – Explore the Lightstorm Lab, the backbone of virtual production for the Avatar Comprised of specialized teams, the Lab builds & supports every aspect of the production – environments, motion edit, Kabuki, sequence, post-viz and software development.
      • The Troupe – Avatar's Troupe is the Swiss Army Knife of acting, while playing dozens of roles on set, in the performance capture volume and on live-action sets, they bring life to Na'vi clans and RDA Recoms. They also play Na'vi-scale puppets on the live-action sets.
    • Marketing Materials & Music Video (Marketing materials used to build audience awareness of the film)
      • Nothing Is Lost (You Give Me Strength) Music Video – Multi-Grammy-winning, music superstar, The Weeknd, performs his emotionally packed end title song in the official music video for the smash hit "Nothing Is Lost (You Give Me Strength)."
      • Theatrical Trailers 1 & 2 – Avatar: The Way of Water used two theatrical trailers to engage the audience. The first was a teaser trailer released 7 months before the film. The second was a standard trailer that premiered 5 weeks before the film's release.

kevywevy likes this.