Avatar - The Way of Water - Dec 16/2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

This has been confirmed to be
    Sigourney Weaver

2. ST2080

ST2080 Forum Resident

I love the first Avatar and will see the second film at the first day at the cinema!

Deuce66 likes this.
  3. Deuce66

Three graphic novels are set to fill in the gap between Avatar (2009) and The Way of Water.

Penguin Random House
    Avatar: The High Ground Volume 1 by Sherri L. Smith: 9781506709093 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books

AVATAR: THE HIGH GROUND VOLUME 1 - Oct 25/2022
    It has been almost a decade since the humans were forced to leave Pandora—but now they’re returning—with an armada of heavily-armed starships!

After years of peace, Jake Sully has settled down with Neytiri and raised a family, so for him, the stakes are even higher than when he first went to war against the corporate might of the RDA.

During the development process of creating the four Avatar sequels, a lot of new ideas and stories were created and discussed. One such EPIC original story idea that didn’t make it into the sequels was James Cameron’s original story—“The High Ground.” Cameron shared what he had written with Dark Horse Comics and it is now being adapted by award-winning author Sherri L. Smith (The Toymaker’s Apprentice, Orleans), and illustrated by Brazilian artist Guilherme Balbi.

Avatar: The High Ground Volume 1 ventures into all-new territory in the Avatar saga, and is a direct prequel to the highly-anticipated film sequel Avatar 2!

[​IMG]

AVATAR: THE HIGH GROUND VOLUME 2 - out Dec 6/2022
    **Not Final Cover**

Humans have returned to Pandora—with an armada of starships—but Jake Sully and the Na’vi are ready for them!

Knowing this day would come, Jake has trained his Na’vi warriors with a plan that should make it too costly for the humans to try again . . . if the plan works.

But, any chain of events is only as strong as the weakest link, and in this case the weak link is human nature. As the plan unravels, Jake and Neytiri must race against time to return to Pandora and save their children before the starships land.

James Cameron’s epic original story “The High Ground” continues in this graphic novel adaptation written by award-winning author Sherri L. Smith (The Toymaker’s Apprentice, Orleans) and illustrated by Diego Galindo (Stranger Things: The Tomb of Ybwen, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers). Avatar: The High Ground Volume 2 takes fans to parts of the Avatar universe never anticipated!

[​IMG]

AVATAR: THE HIGH GROUND VOLUME 3 - out Dec 20/2022
    **Not Final Cover**

Jake Sully’s fears have come crashing to Pandora, guns blazing. The Sky People are planet-side, and taking Hell’s Gate by storm.

Jake and Neytiri’s children are still on base, surrounded and outgunned. Years of advancement on Earth means they’ll be bringing more firepower than Jake could anticipate. Unable to fully rely on his intel, Jake will have to improvise and risk it all to protect his family, his people, and their home. The battle is underway and every Na’vi is in danger.

Experience the epic finale of James Cameron’s original story “The High Ground” in this graphic novel adaptation written by award-winning author Sherri L. Smith (The Toymaker’s Apprentice, Orleans) and illustrated by Agustin Padilla (Suicide Squad, Transformers, Borderlands, Predator: Hunters II) and Miguel Angel Ruiz (The Passing, Crossed: Badlands). The exciting conclusion to Avatar:The High Ground leads you directly into the opening of the long-awaited film sequel Avatar 2!

4. Deuce66

Avatar: Reckoning a mobile game set for release in 2023.

Avatar: Reckoning trailer for the upcoming free-to-play RPG shooter based on the blockbuster movie, Avatar. Here's a teaser for the new mobile game, in which players will embark on an adventure set on Pandora, featuring a brief look at the world and creatures, characters, and some mechs in action.

Developed by Archosaur Games and published by Tencent Games, Avatar: Reckoning aims to release in 2023 on mobile platforms.

5. Deuce66

Kate Winslet - Ronal & Cliff Curtis - Tonowari

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Deuce66

Sigourney Weaver Plays Jake And Neytiri’s Adopted Teenage Na’vi Daughter In Avatar 2 – World-Exclusive

When it was announced that Sigourney Weaver was returning to Pandora for James Cameron’s long-awaited Avatar sequel The Way Of Water, fans had questions. Namely, how the hell would she be back, since her character – sympathetic human Dr. Grace Augustine, leader of the RDA’s Avatar Program – died in the course of the first film? Are we talking flashbacks? Or a secret twin sister? The answer is something wholly unexpected. As revealed in Empire’s upcoming world-exclusive Avatar: The Way Of Waterissue, Weaver is playing an entire new character in this film – and there are things about her you really need to know. Firstly, that she’s a Na’vi. Secondly, that she’s called Kiri. And thirdly, and most surprisingly, that she’s Jake and Neytiri’s adoptive teenage daughter. Here she is on our newly-unveiled subscriber cover.

We’ll allow you a sentence just to take that in again: Sigourney Weaver plays a blue alien teenager in Avatar: The Way Of Water. For the actor, who also worked with Cameron all those years ago on Aliens, it was a chance to bring her inner child out to play. “I think we all pretty much remember what we were feeling as adolescents,” she tells Empire. “I certainly do. I was 5’ 10” or 5’ 11” when I was 11. I felt strongly that Kiri would feel awkward a lot of the time. She’s searching for who she is. I was thrilled to be given that challenge by Jim.”

Cameron was aware of just what a leap it would be for the legendary actor. “As an acting challenge, it’s big,” he says. “We’re gonna have a 60-something actor playing a character [decades younger than] her actual biological age. Sig thought it was all kinds of fun.” Getting into that mindset meant Weaver workshopping with a group of teenage girls to channel some youthful energy – and the results were remarkable. “Sigourney just became younger,” recalls Cameron. “She looked younger, she had more energy, and she never quite stepped out of Kiri for our whole capture period. She had a glow on her face and lightness in her step and a fun spirit.”

[​IMG]

7. Deuce66

[​IMG]

Stephen Lang’s Quaritch Is ‘Bigger, Bluer, And Pissed Off’ In Avatar 2 – Exclusive Image

Yes, in the long-awaited sequel, Stephen Lang is returning in the same role – this time in Na’vi form, his consciousness having been added to an avatar body. “He’s bigger, he’s bluer, he’s pissed off,” he laughs while speaking to Empire. “But there may possibly be an aspect of humility. When you take two Na’vi arrows in the chest, that’s gonna have some kind of effect on you.” It’s not just Quaritch who’s been given a big blue upgrade. In The Way Of Water, the RDA has a whole set of Recoms, aka Recombinants – avatars embedded with the memories of human soldiers. A whole new body means a whole new Quaritch. “[He] was always a character who moved in straight lines and at right angles,” Lang explains. “But now he is as lithe as they come. He can move with the same kind of cunning and feral quality that any of the Na’vi can.”

Lars Medley likes this.
  8. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I do like the first Avatar film a lot and I'm looking forward to the sequel... but imagine how many great films we could have had from James Cameron in the last 13 years if he hadn't spent all his energy solely on this.

barfko, Plan9, BeatleJWOL and 2 others like this.
  9. Deuce66

We'll see if all the effort that went into building this world is worth it. Based on what I've seen so far the sequels look like a James Cameron greatest hits compilation, all of the elements of his past films are present and accounted for. The Way of Water is basically Star Wars - The Empire Strikes back, very early days for the franchise.

SJP and Phil Tate like this.
  10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Fixed.

I also share the same opinion; the grand total is 9 films in 40 years, including Avatar 2

BGLeduc, Deuce66 and Phil Tate like this.
  11. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Good lord, you're right of course.

PH416156 likes this.
  12. Deuce66

Some fresh news on Cameron. Looks like he's going to spend more time making movies.

James Cameron Might Not Direct Avatar 4 And 5 Himself – Exclusive

Speaking to Empire in the upcoming world-exclusive Avatar: The Way Of Water issue, the legendary filmmaker opened up about his plans for the later movies in the series – including the possibility that he may appoint someone else to bring the saga to its conclusion. “The Avatar films themselves are kind of all-consuming,” Cameron admits. “I’ve got some other things I’m developing as well that are exciting. I think eventually over time – I don’t know if that’s after three or after four – I’ll want to pass the baton to a director that I trust to take over, so I can go do some other stuff that I’m also interested in. Or maybe not. I don’t know.” Previously, Cameron handed across Alita: Battle Angel – a project he long planned to adapt for the screen – to director Robert Rodriguez, while remaining on board as executive producer and co-writer.

Still, Avatar is Cameron’s own world – and he sounds particularly enthused about where the story goes in the later movies. “Everything I need to say about family, about sustainability, about climate, about the natural world, the themes that are important to me in real life and in my cinematic life, I can say on this canvas,” he explains. “I got more excited as I went along. Movie four is a corker. It’s a mother******. I actually hope I get to make it. But it depends on market forces. Three is in the can so it’s coming out regardless. I really hope that we get to make four and five because it’s one big story, ultimately.”

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You know... it sounds to me like Cameron is hedging his bets in case Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 bomb (or at least underperform). The studio doesn't have to make or release them if they don't want to -- they could just pull the plug and take their losses.

Boom Operator and Deuce66 like this.
  14. Deuce66

Like everyone else Disney is in the content business, I think 4 & 5 will get made (parts of 4 are already shot). I'll be shocked if A2 makes less than $2B worldwide (assuming it gets a proper release in China). If they can pump out Fast & Furious movies, they can finish this series.

I think the re-release of Avatar (remastered & packaged with a possible trailer for The Way of Water) on Sept 23 will be a good market indicator.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have to say, there's no way that Avatar can be worse than the Fast & Furious franchise. And the latter has made billions and billions. But I think Cameron will be flummoxed if it's a disappointment the size of (say) Alita: Battle Angel, which cost $200M and made $400M. If Avatar 2 makes less than a billion, I think he'll be very rattled (as will Fox/Disney). One hopes that Cameron will make better creative choices this time...

James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel' is a pretty bad movie

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Don't tell that to Alexpop! LOL (I didn't see it)

I hope Avatar 2 is aimed at the next generation of gamers... like 12-year olds. Even the trailer I find unbearable. The film I want to see next is NOPE. Looks inventive. I can see that film making a LOT of money on a much smaller budget.

17. Deuce66

Avatar re-release Sept 23/2022, Titanic is set for Feb 2023.

BURBANK, Calif., July 19, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Pixelworks, Inc. (NASDAQ: PXLW), the developer of the award-winning TrueCut Motion™ platform, today announced that it is working with James Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment on multiple motion picture titles.

"We're bringing AVATAR and TITANIC back to the big screen, looking better in every way," said James Cameron. "We will be presenting both films in 4K with high dynamic range visuals and have been working with Pixelworks' TrueCut Motion platform to remaster the films in high frame rate, while keeping the cinematic look of the original."

TrueCut Motion technology provides filmmakers with a visual palette of cinematic motion looks that goes beyond anything previously possible. While motion pictures have seen tremendous improvements in picture performance, with higher resolution, higher dynamic range and more colors, the motion look has remained unchanged for close to a hundred years. TrueCut Motion technology allows filmmakers to dial in the motion, with any source frame rate, shot by shot, in post-production. The TrueCut Motion platform then ensures that these creative choices are delivered consistently across every screen, whether in the theater or the home.

"Lightstorm is once again extending the boundaries of the cinematic experience, and we are ecstatic to be a part of that," said Richard Miller, GM of TrueCut at Pixelworks. "After experiencing these remastered versions of AVATAR and TITANIC, we believe more and more filmmakers will be excited to take advantage of motion grading with TrueCut Motion technology."

errant_knight and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. errant_knight

errant_knight Full Time Dreamer

It would be cool to see the first one in the theater again before this sequel, so I am down with both. Hopefully 2 and 3 will make enough for him to complete the series.

Deuce66 likes this.
  19. Deuce66

I'm all in for laser IMAX 3D for Avatar 2009 and Way of Water.

20. Deuce66

Jon Landau,

It was great to be with composer Simon Franglen as he started scoring sessions for Avatar The Way of Water.

[​IMG]

21. Deuce66

It's official the original AVATAR is being re-released on Sept 23. Remastered in 4K High Dynamic Range

[​IMG]

Trailer

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Deuce66

A few interview clips from D23 over the weekend where several scenes from the movie were shown.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Deuce66

24. Deuce66

25. Deuce66

Some of the cast attending D23 + concept art given out to attendees.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]