Avatar - The Way of Water - Dec 16/2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

New posters for the re-release.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

enro99 and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Any extra footage edited in for the re-release?

3. Deuce66

Apparently not, looks like it's the standard theatrical cut based on everything I've heard so far. If the re-release opens with this scene then we'll know it's the extended version.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Sigourney is starting to look like the alien queen.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This film was certainly a landmark in technical advances resulting in one of the most awful films of all time. Stunning 3-D work. Too bad the script characters and plot were as flat as a flounder. Where the hell is legendary Director Robert Zemeckis when you need him? Oh, making another puppet movie.

6. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

I have seen the 20 mn preview of Avatar 2 and let's say you are in for a threat. From frame 1 everyone in the audience had their jaws on the floor.
    Compared to 2, the original look indeed like video-game animation. The footage we saw was hyper-real. I'm seeing the first remastered today, will see if they improved the film using the sequels technology.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Yep. A threat to concepts like 'character', 'story', 'originality', etc., etc.

:hide: :laugh:

8. Deuce66

Very funny ha! ha! it doesn't seem to affect Top Gun/Marvel/DC/Star Wars etc...live long enough, see enough movies and eventually "originality" in story telling becomes a very rare commodity. You're either along for the ride or not. It helps to remember when we were young and everything was new & original.

9. Deuce66

Looks like minor tweaks to colour/shading/sharpness + added 48fps to action sequences & a minor scene change at the very end.

DementedAvenger and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

My guess is that it's way way more than minor changes

I wouldn't be surprised if the cgi blue indians and animals are almost completely re-rendered/remade

11. Deuce66

That would be far too expensive for a limited re-release. Here's the trailer.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Avatar, my *ss! Where’s that 4K release of The Abyss we were promised?

enro99, ggg71, mecano and 1 other person like this.
  13. Deuce66

Good question, no one knows. You would think that Disney would be pushing hard for this to happen for some easy revenue $.

14. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

I don’t think it’s easy. That’s why it’s stalled. The movie will have to be 4k-remastered from a to z. The director’s cut scenes especially will have to be polished up, including the soundtrack and special effects.

Most directors delegate a project like this and come into the cutting room when others have finished that work. But my guess (besides maybe any troubles with rights) is that Cameron wants full control and probably has that. But he’s making 20 Avatar movies (I’m not interested in) right now.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Deuce66

A good overview of the whole Avatar phenomena, the history of movies in general and how storytellers "borrow" ideas. The everything that's old is new again theory applicable to so many classics over the decades.

16. Deuce66

Cameron talks about the remaster of Avatar and had this to say about The Way of Water.

James Cameron on How Avatar's 4K HDR Remaster Improves the 3D Experience - IGN

Within the Avatar universe, The Way of Water takes place quite a while after the events of the first film. “We follow [Jake and Neytiri] forward in time, 15 years to where they have a family of pre-teens and teenagers. More of a family dynamic. It’s not a Hallmark, Disney family dynamic. It’s a very dysfunctional family dynamic, but ultimately there’s a core there that they all draw their strength from. I think that’s the thing that’s fundamentally different from the first one.”

The last two sequels Cameron made were Terminator 2: Judgment Day and Aliens, two undeniable classics that set an impossibly high bar for their respective franchises. What should we expect from the follow-up to Avatar?

“I guarantee you, you won’t be able to predict it,” Cameron assured us. “What people hate the most is to go and see a movie and say ‘oh… predictable.’ This is not predictable, I don’t think. I defy anybody to predict where this story goes.”

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Went to see Avatar yesterday in IMAX 3D, it was my first time seeing it in this format and I will say that it is quite the experience compared to watching it on Blu-Ray at home. Extremely immersive visuals, at times it felt like I was in the actual movie, the sound was very clear/detailed at all times and extremely dynamic, a very different feel compared to all my previous viewings. 13 years later I now fully understand why this movie exploded at the box office, it was state of the art back then and it still holds up very well today, putting a lot of CGI heavy blockbusters to shame. No worries here about it being too dark or poor muddy sound, everything is 100% on point.

There's also a mid-credits scene for Way of Water, I would estimate it's about two minutes in length, apparently there are three different clips depending on which version your theatre is showing, the one I saw featured the Sully kids swimming alongside ones from the new tribe that's being introduced in the movie. It looked stunning, a lot of oohhh's and aaahhh's in the audience, the clarity and sharpness clearly a step ahead of Avatar 2009.

As a bonus they handed out a decent sized poster, I got the white one.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Way of Water for multiple reasons. My gut tells me his streak of great sequels - Aliens - T2 will continue.

18. SandAndGlass

I am not a happy camper!

I did see Avatar in 3D when it first came out in the theater. My reaction was the same as yours.

Fast forward to now...

I was all set to go to see the rerelease today or tomorrow. I checked the smaller theater that is closest to me, but no go. I was not surprised because it has maybe all of four screens that are already showing new releases.

So I checked the schedule of the large cineplex a few miles further down the road. NOTHING!

I counted 16-movies playing there. There were actually only different movies but there were two movies that were showing on two of their screens, so I counted each of them twice.

I can't believe this, since the projections you posted have it in the top five box office movies for this weekend. At best, maybe five of these other movies they are playing will bring in more than Avatar.

And, that is at best. I can't imagine that Avatar wouldn't be in the top five movies there, if it was playing!

There are so many people who haven't seen it, despite the ones that have. Like myself, I would be thrilled to see it again in a real theater and in 3D.

Maybe they will show it in the upcoming weeks?

19. Deuce66

I think the last day for the re-release is Thursday Oct. 6, it's a limited two-week engagement. If there's an IMAX close to you they should have it.

20. SandAndGlass

There is an Imax in Knoxville and two other Regal theaters. K'ville is the home office for Regal theaters. It is also a 45-mile trip each way. I did try a couple of movies there when I first got here, but decided that a 90-mile RT wasn't worth it.

I did notice that it was playing in an AMC theater in Maryville this afternoon at 2:45 and 30% off because it is a matinee showing.

Maryville is only 16-miles away, so I might make the drive?

Deuce66 likes this.
  21. Deuce66

Also FYI it's the original cut of the movie with one tiny change at the end and stick around for the mid credit scene (preview of WoW).

22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Agreed. Mediocre at best, and that's being generous. Just a melange of poorly conceived and outdated sci fi tropes. I never understood the acclaim....

alexpop likes this.
  23. SandAndGlass

Update: I did a MapQuest for the theater in Maryville and discovered that it was 36-miles away and the travel time was approximately 56-minutes due to scenic mountain drive.

I realized the distance I was looking at was for alternate theaters and their distance from Knoxville. Decided to pass...

Deuce66 likes this.
  24. Deuce66

A very recent interview with Cameron.

25. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I saw Avatar in the theater when it came out and I thought it was great. I saw it again over the weekend with my son and really enjoyed it. The trailer for the sequel looked great and I'm looking forward to it. I'm not sure what the haters on going on about, to be honest.

SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.