Avengers: Endgame - April 26, 2019*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I know much has been made of Tony Stark's redemptive arc throughout the series...but I was thinking today that Endgame did a nice job of mirroring Tony and Thanos. One sacrifices his daughter to get what he wants; the other sacrifices himself for her good (and humanity's).

Vidiot, wayneklein, dkmonroe and 5 others like this.
  2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Not to mention the way each got to have a daughter...love vs genocide.

twicks likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Counting the minutes until this shows up in the trailers...
    Coming in 2020: "MEDEA...Endgame"!

4. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

That's interesting. I might alter it for myself though, that Thanos sacrificed his daughter for what he *believed* to be the greater good, while Tony was resolutely against the idea of sacrificing his daughter (as might occur, as a possible result of time traveling to the past) even if it might be for the greater good. It shows that despite his tough and witty exterior he has a deep love for individuals as opposed to Thanos' more abstract thinking. But yeah, Tony sacrifice is a nice reversal of Thanos' psychology and goals.

David Campbell, Vidiot and twicks like this.
  5. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

You indirectly bring up another interesting point...in their combined 5+ hours of running time, does either movie contain a moment where a character semi-intelligently challenges Thanos's ideas/worldview (other than calling him a monster, etc.)?

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    lbangs likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

:cry::shake:

7. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I don't recall it if they do. I can understand they take a no-brainer, "stop villain from killing zillions of living things" approach, but it's definitely the case where Thanos' logic seems easily argued against, if they could have tried. If you take out half the universe's population to restore balance, won't it just reach that point again in the future? Even Thanos sees a flaw in his plan after enacting it, since he then realized that the remaining half of the population could never truly recover.

It's another good contrast with Stark because despite his apparent self-confidence, Tony is a team player; from believing in the Avengers, to believing in artificial intelligence, to even believing the government can be trusted (re: superhero registration and oversight.) Thanos has no advisory committee whatsoever.

twicks likes this.
  8. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Re-release on the way for next weekend.

Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige told multiple outlets that Endgame would be heading back to theaters with new footage.

Disney did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Specifics about how much new footage will be in the film that already runs three hours is unclear.

"Not an extended cut, but there will be a version going into theaters with a bit of a marketing push with a few new things at the end of the movie," Feige told ScreenRant. "If you stay and watch the movie, after the credits, there’ll be a deleted scene, a little tribute, and a few surprises."

Feige said that the rerelease will hit theaters next weekend. It’s unclear how many screens it will play on and how long the rerelease will be in theaters.

PH416156 and superstar19 like this.
  10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

One final desperate attempt to surpass "Avatar" and possibly, in some theaters, a double feature with the new Spider-Man following, if the Endgame re-release justifies its presence until early July

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Not sure how they would work out the $$ split between Disney and Sony.

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

For the first week of the new Spider Man starring Holland, my local multiplex showed Civil War (discounted) followed by Spider Man Homecoming. I called it a double feature, but they arranged it that way. Technically, 2 separate shows, I know.

In the past, Sony allowed Fox to show the "Days of future past" trailer as a post credits scene of "Amazing Spider-Man 2", so it seems they're open to collaboration, but they could just book theaters that way, if they want to.

13. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Kind of glad I never found the time to see it a second time before now, as I had initially planned. At least now, I can kind of justify it to myself.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They desperately want to make Avengers: Endgame the highest-grossing film of all time. Only $45 million to go in order to beat Avatar...

'Avengers: Endgame' getting re-release in bid to dethrone 'Avatar' - CNN

The "Avengers" sequel has already amassed $2.743 billion globally through Monday of this week, according to the website Boxofficemojo.com, but that leaves it about $44 million behind "Avatar," director James Cameron's 2009 sci-fi epic.

15. alexpop

New theatrical version.Dont see me sitting through a 3 hour + movie just for after credits extra bit ..then cast message.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

17. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Yeah, and I suspect it will become #1 just in time for Cameron to re-release Avatar into theaters in advance of his many sequels.

Deesky likes this.
  18. alexpop

Avatar ? A blue movie if I ever seen one.

Ghostworld likes this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Hope they beat Avatar with this, as Avatar is a terrible film and shouldn't be number 1.

To all those moaning please remember Avatar was re-released as well (the Avatar Special Edition), and its current total includes that, so Marvel are not doing anything other films do.

20. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

We also need to keep in mind that technically this isn't a re-release. Endgame is still playing in 1400 plus theaters in the US. All this is basically the equivalent of DVD/Blu-ray extras tacked on to the end after the credits. Sort of how they put the Spider-Man Far From Home Trailer after the credits third week out. So this is still the original Endgame theatrical run. If they can get a little bit of a boost out of it to overcome Avatar more power to Marvel.

I probably won't go see it again. I was thinking of a third viewing but I was strangely satisfied after I watched it twice in the cinemas. I'll probably wait until the Blu-ray release unless these extras are indicated as theatrical exclusives that won't appear on disc or stream. Even then, I'm sure they will be on YouTube soon enough.

BeatleJWOL and The Hud like this.
  21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'd be interested in going again if only to see James Cameron take a fall. Avatar is Mark Gastineau, End Game is Michael Strahan, and I'm Brett Favre ready to lay down and take one for the good of all mankind.

22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I don't know what that means, but.....YEAH!

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  23. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Fair point. I don't hate Avatar as much as some people,but I have always felt it was over rated and time has borne that opinion out. If next weekend ends up being slow I may just try and squeeze in another viewing to do my part in bringing down Avatar a peg. We will see.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

If Endgame gets back into Dolby Cinema for this, I will go see it again, otherwise I will wait for the 4K Disc.

25. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm not going to start a new thread, too soon BUT...I just read about a project the writer from Legion (final season starting soon!) is working on; a Dr. Doom movie! I didn't know this was happening. Sure hope it features a certain 4 co-stars!;)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ampmods, superstar19 and Ghostworld like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.