Avengers: Endgame - April 26, 2019*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

synergy

Deuce66 likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Filmmakers have done this since the late 70s - Spielberg started it when "Star Wars" passed "Jaws", and there's been a series of them since then. It has nothing to do with "Avatar" hype...

SandAndGlass and BeatleJWOL like this.
  3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

That's my view. I call it good sportsmanship.

SandAndGlass, Oatsdad and BeatleJWOL like this.
  4. vince

I guess you're right....
    My 'sarcasm-levels' were a little high this morning......

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think every time the box office title has changed hands to a different filmmaker since 1978, there's been an ad.

Off the top of my head, that'd mean ads to congratulate "ET", "Titanic" and now "Endgame". Maybe one when "Star Wars" retook the lead over "ET" in 1997.

Am I missing something? Cameron didn't congratulate himself for "Avatar" over "Titanic"! :)

Simon A likes this.
  6. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Looks more like a shot from an 'Abyss' sequel.
    Is Avatar 2 set under water?

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Interesting let's see...list of #1's unadjusted world wide gross $$

Avengers Endgame: $2,790.2 M (2019)

Titanic: $2,187.5 M (1997)
    Jurassic Park: $1,029.5 M (1993)
    E.T.: $792.9 M (1982)
    Star Wars: $775.4 M (1977)
    Jaws: $470.7 M (1975)
    The Exorcist: $441.3 M (1973)
    Gone with the Wind: $402.4 M (1939) - a 34 year reign!!!!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I disagree that it does not have any meaning in the modern world.

Any time you make comparisons it needs to be on a level playing field.

My first car was a 1970 full size Pontiac American luxury car. It had a sticker price of $5,000.

By comparison, a sub compact car of today can easily retail for four to five times that amount.

Avengers:Endgame beat Avatar in gross dollars. Personally I don't think it is a big of a deal by far then Star Wars was back in 1977, forty years ago.

In another ten years, there will likely be another record breaking movie as judged by gross box office receipts. Then years after that, there will be even another one.

Of course, in another decade, a movie ticket will likely cost $20, after that, who knows, the sky's the limit.

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Vidiot likes this.
  10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I am surprised that this isn't bigger news. I haven't seen Endgame #1! on Yahoo at all.

11. One of them is as I recall.

12. vince

I believe the title of that was...
    "SON of Abyss"!

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Watched the 4K HDR Blu-ray and enjoyed it very much. The movie looked terrific.

The extras on the disc are disappointing, particularly any kind of in-depth discussion about how the effects and production were done. Here's a (free) 20-minute documentary on a lot of the VFX work, and I found it fascinating as to how much was faked and how much was real:

BTW, the biggest surprise for me for all of Avengers: Endgame is that the rat was key to the entire plot. If the rat hadn't hit the switch in Scott Lang's "Antman" van, he never could have come back from the Quantum Realm and tell the Avengers that they could use time travel to defeat Thanos. And the double shocker is that the rat in the movie was 100% real and not CG! :eek:

Avengers: Endgame's Most Important Hero Was Not a CGI Effect

Who knew?

14. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

They need to find that rat and hold a ticker tape parade in it's honor. Heck,since Spider-Man just suddenly vanished from the Marvel universe,the Avengers have another slot open. I hereby nominate Larry D. Rat for membership. ;)

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"The Rat" coming soon to Disney+! Subscribe now!

16. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I'll agree the Blu-ray looked fantastic. Didn't really enjoy the movie though. It was actually kind of a slog for me. But damn, that's a great point about the rat!

SandAndGlass and David Campbell like this.
  17. Loved it. A lot of exposition had to be gotten out of the way quickly and they did so with the subplots of going back.

18. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

the extras on these Marvel discs are lame ,mostly promotional stuff Compare whats on Endgame to what Warner's gives you on Shazam

David Campbell likes this.
  19. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

The extras on the first wave of marvel films through the first Avengers film were pretty good. That was of course when Paramount were behind the home releases and before Disney took over.

superstar19 likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I can think of 2.8 billion reasons why Disney enjoyed the film's success very much. I actually liked the film and have seen it three times: once in a regular theater, once in Imax, and once on home video, and I enjoyed different things about it each time. I'm not saying it's high art or a classic on the order of Citizen Kane, but for a mass-market action film, it was exceptionally good.

I was really shocked at the "Five... Years... Later" title -- that was a really bold step, the kind of thing you never see in a relatively-light-hearted comic book movie like this.

He only got the job because he was related to Mickey... :sigh:

Yes, from a structural point of view, it was a tough story to tell. If I had to point to one scene that was the most powerful in the whole movie, it's the one where Scott Lang is dragging his wagon of crap down the street and sees the devastation in the streets, and he sees a kid on a bicycle and yells, "hey! What happened here?" And the kid just gives him a devastatingly sad look, says nothing, and pedals away. And then Scott sees the memorial to the thousands, millions of people who disappeared. That says it all.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  21. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Unless used as the start of a film/book/TV show to set up the main plot, time jumps are usually a sign that the writers have written themselves into a corner, the time jump being used to set up an alternate state of affairs in order to hand wave away explanations about how the earlier plot developments were resolved.

I say usually as there have been exceptions, Endgame being one of them. Taking the time to show the consequences of the event; people grieving, memorials & self help groups established etc helped to sell the time jump itself. There was a real sense that the world and the people had changed in subsequent scenes, that this was the natural extrapolation of events stemming from the snap. I remember a quiet gasp going around the sold out opening weekend screening I was at in May when the text came up on screen.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, both theatrical audiences I saw the film with let out a collective "WTF???!!!" when that title hit the screen. The writers have said they did this to deliberately let people know: "this is not a simple problem that's going to just go away. There are going to be huge ramifications for the 'snap' and the death of Thanos."

The moment that happened I said, "well, except that there's always the possibility of time travel...", which has been an element of comic books at least since the 1950s. I had not read the 1990s Avengers comic books, so I had no idea who Thanos was or what his fate would be until I saw the Marvel movies. One thing that I thought was exceptionally well-handled is that, even with a relatively-large cast, they justified every single cast member for being there, including the less-popular (and less-powered) members like Ant-Man and Hawkeye. Both had key roles and great scenes in the film, and it's one of the reasons I think the movie works so well.

23. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

See, I feel this happened with EG. What was new/exciting in IW was a bit of a rehash in EG and the whole build up was lackluster to me. Glad others liked it - obviously with all the $$$ it made. Hulk was a big disappointment to me, but I did enjoy that scene with the Ancient One.

coffeetime likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And in big news:

Note that Marvel is now saying that there will be a massive 23-film boxed set called The Infinity Saga which will include all 23 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films plus a massive amount of outtakes, alternate scenes, bloopers, and other deleted scenes...

[​IMG]

In the past, Kevin Feige has said:

“If we do a big, giant Infinity Saga box set, we might include — I’m assuming if you’re going to spend the money to buy a box set with everything in it, you’re a fan. And it’ll take more than a couple of really, really bad scenes to turn you.

“I like sharing those [deleted] scenes. And when we have something like that that we love, and which was not an easy decision to cut out but was the best decision for the movie, it’s a great avenue to say, ‘We’ll put it out there.’ It’s not like no-one will ever see it. There are things that we think nobody should ever see. And I think we’ve just recently been discussing that now we can start to show some of our less proud moments."

No words as to formats, release dates, cost, or anything else. Even $20 per film would be at least $400, so we'll see how it goes. Meanwhile, anybody want to buy all my old crap Blu-rays?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.