Avengers: Infinity War

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Which is completely consistent with his character arc which is why I am perplexed anyone would be surprised or offended.

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

He comes out in part 2.

Wounded Land and alexpop like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That's what I'm afraid of. :laugh:
    Tony Stark is not terribly logic-driven. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't take at least one well-placed shot at the WS at some point in this movie.

Lownote30 likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looks amazing.
    Thor still wearing that silly eyepatch.

5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Why do you keep asking why I'm offended? I'm not offended, I just don't want my favorite character from the movies changed just so they can set the Marvel universe atwitter. And I don't know dick about his character arc. If that's his arc, fine I guess, but you'll excuse me if my natural reaction to this that Hollywood is changing a character just to make him more hip and edgy. You know, like they always do.

6. alexpop

"Who are these guys "
    Thor discovering the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Is thatf Thor speak?

7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

To quote Homecoming - 'He's technically a war criminal now' - he's on the run, because he stuck up for freedom, he can't run around clean shaved in his uniform with a shield as he would be caught. He's 'disguised'. It's nothing to do with making him hip and edgy, it's just logical storytelling.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ha-ha, that was truly funny! :righton:

Seriously though, better make it $16. Not getting good reviews, I'll wait a year and catch it on TV.

P(orF) likes this.
  9. dkmonroe

It's better than what Marvel did with him in the comic books! :laugh:

10. dkmonroe

I'm such a sucker for these movies. :laugh: Great trailer!

Not a big fan of the Blonde Widow look. Captain McBeardsley looks cool though.

11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Is this based on the Thanos story that was in the original run of WARLOCK, and finished off in the dual Annuals from AVENGERS and MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE? I ask because the "Infinity Stones" look like the gemstones in that story, the last plucked from the forehead of Warlock's corpse.

The longer story in WARLOCK was hopelessly confused, but the ending -- spread across the two double-sized annuals -- may have been Marvel's finest space opera.

Tree of Life likes this.
  12. Thievius

Alright. Problem is I don't remember much about Civil War, or at least how it ended and I haven't seen Homecoming. Was it because he retrieved Winter Soldier? I honestly don't remember how Civil War played out.

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Loosely - Marvel tend to mix things up and adapt stories to fit, which has been proven to be the right approach. Adam Warlock has been seen very briefly in Guardians and Captain Marvel I think will play a big part in 'Infinity War 2' or whatever it's called.

14. dkmonroe

When Tony Stark discovered that the Winter Soldier murdered his parents, he flipped out and attacked Captain America and the WS. After a lengthy battle they rendered the Iron Man suit inoperable, thus defeating Stark. When Cap moved to pick up his shield, Stark ordered him not to, saying that his father made that shield and Cap wasn't worthy to hold it. Cap then dropped the shield and he and WS left. Later on, Steve Rogers, sans uniform, invaded the high-security prison where the other Avengers were being held and freed them. General Ross called Stark to complain about it, and Stark basically told him to get bent.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

He refused to side with Tony about the registration act thing and then went rogue completely to save Bucky. He then broke his crew out of that underwater jail. So he's a wanted man now. Tony realised he was wrong so I don't see an issue between the two now if the threat is big, but that doesn't change the fact that Cap broke the law and is wanted by the security forces.

Stormrider77 and dkmonroe like this.
  16. dkmonroe

I think that Tony was convinced enough of his error to not be persuaded to continue pursuing Rogers, but I rather doubt that things are totally OK between them. We'll see. I think there will still be at least two factions in The Avengers. The members that Rogers busted out of prison are also fugitives.

17. alexpop

Played out?
    Much ado about nothing.

18. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I assume Cap will have the shield in this film. Black Panther tells them to give Cap a shield and they refuse? With Thanos trying to destroy the universe?

I guess Cap could refuse it, and get it back in Part II for a big payoff.

19. dkmonroe

I think the "Get this man a shield" line is just BP explaining to whoever's there who this bearded stranger is. I doubt he's addressing all the Avengers.

Stark has the shield and I don't think he's going to give it back to Steve just because. The shield isn't entirely necessary anyway, Rogers can still do the job without it.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  20. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

I could have sworn that the characters from Galaxy and Ant Man were going to be in this one. Or maybe I missed them. And I know they're not using any characters from MCU tv shows, but I can definitely see Daredevil and Luke Cage join them. If Spiderman is seen as a street level superhero, why not have Daredevil and Luke join them. Just wishful thinking.

21. Thievius

Guardians/Galaxy were in the trailer at the very end.

Vidiot likes this.
  22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The two people who run the TV universe and the film universe pretty much can't stand each other so I don't see that happening.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I went back to see Justice League again, partly because two close friends had missed it, and partly because I told them, "hey! You gotta see what $300 million dollars looks on the screen!"

Thank god somebody was paying attention to that totally-squirrelly plot line.

Thank god somebody was paying attention to a
    Nobody knows for sure, but rumors get floated for deliberate reasons sometimes. My bet is that in a best-case scenario, Robert Downey has the potential to make $100M per film. That would assume record-breaking box-office numbers, like maybe $1.5B gross for each film. It would be fair to guess that Downey gets a guaranteed paycheck of X dollars, and then performance-based incentives if the film hits certain milestones: a bonus after it hits $500M, a bonus after it officially enters into profit, a bonus over $1B, a bonus if he gets any major award nominations, a bonus for every week the movie is #1 at the box office, a bonus if the home video releases hit a certain number, and so on. So it's possible that if all of that happens, Downey could take home a really, really, really big paycheck.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Aftermath and The Hud like this.
  24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

What was the budget for Thor: Ragnorok?

I saw both Justice League and Thor this week, and Thor looks like it cost a lot more.

25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

No way is Downey stupid enough to get net profits, not with Hollywood accounting. Gross profits or get stuffed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.