Avengers: Infinity War

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The quoted budget for Thor: Ragnarok was $180 million, but bear in mind some of the $300M budget for Justice League was subsidized by tax rebates, so it may have been lower in the real world, plus some of it covered months of reshoots and redos, which normally would not be necessary. So you might have "only" seen about $200M on the screen.

It all depends on how profits are defined. That was the lesson learned from the Buchwald vs. Paramount case over Coming to America. Basically, the court ruled that yes, the studio stole Buchwald's movie idea, but because of how profit was defined in the contract, despite the fact that the movie grossed $288 million (and cost $39M), by the terms of the profit, they only wound up paying Buchwald $900K, which was a travesty.

This has been going on for a long, long time. Just this year, the creators of Columbo (Dick Levinson and Bill Link) sued Universal because the studio claims that the show hadn't made a profit in 35 years. Oh, it's made money for the studio... but that may not be defined as a "profit" in terms of the writers and producers.

Buchwald v. Paramount - Wikipedia

Downey is smart and clever enough that I would bet they put in "minimums" at different stages of the life of the film, so he would still be guaranteed a huge amount o' dough even if the film tanked (which I sincerely doubt will happen). Once the studio's investment is paid for, they're generally a little easier about sharing the wealth... to a point.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Zoot Marimba, The Hud and Aftermath like this.
  2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Cool, I actually have all the '70s Ms. Marvels and a few Black Panthers to boot (#14, 15 and various Avengers). I quit following sometime before Cable was created though, Deadpool, Gambit, all those guys, just know that they exist(ed). I think the muscles started getting too big for me, at least when it wasn't Megaton Man or Wonder Warthog. Things got strange that way... giant men with tiny ankles and heads and ladies with broken spines and helium filled busts (and sometimes butts too). Almost all the artists, even ones I liked before, all turned into distorted Jim Lees.

I wonder which Ms. Marvels they are going to draw from? I only have one newer one with Super-Skrulls invading everywhere (and getting mowed down like grass).

alexpop likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Vision's got a new look as well, more human.

4. harsh

harsh Member

5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

hmmm, I saw the Infinity Stones on ebay for only $139.00 each. The whole set for $300.00 (plus free shipping!)
    Maybe, just maybe, they weren't authentic?

Lownote30 likes this.
  6. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

You won't know for sure until you buy them. Better hurry.

7. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

That's his "Victor Shade" persona. In the comic books Vision is an android but he seems to have a soul or at least a curiosity that makes him want to understand what being a human is. So for a while he goes out in public as Victor Shade and goes to clubs and other places to have new experiences.

alexpop likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

As soon as the puny human touches one, he's going to be blasted to nothing more than a greasy spot.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  9. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Release date bumped up a week to April 27th. :righton:

10. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Here's Forbes speculating why Disney did that.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Cap gon' die. Calling it now.

12. alexpop

New official trailer up.
    Welcome, but not as good as the first one.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The whole gang is here....I predict just under $2 Billion worldwide on the gross.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Gee, I wonder who will win the Infinity War?

15. alexpop

Find out part 2.

Shawn likes this.
  16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Two and and half hours of digital people smashing each other into floors and walls and competing for 10 mins of screen time because they have to shoe horn in so many popular characters.

Always works so well as a movie format.

I think I'll pass on this one.

budwhite and mpayan like this.
  17. alexpop

Going to be one visual smorgasbord alright.

18. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

They had a ton of cast in Civil War and that movie was fantastic. Loved it.

Parachute Woman and PTgraphics like this.
  19. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

More than one hero is going to die.

20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Yeah, the whole comic book 'death' thing is a sore point for me. In the old days, dead was dead, so a characters mortality was something to be concerned about (same thing applies to secret identities, they were a secret!). Than, all of a sudden, coming back from the dead became a 'thing', a trend, to the point where death is literally meaningless (as are secret identities). And now, It's gonna happen in the comic book movies. Superman 'died' and came back and no one cared! THIS is the result of this gross plot device and it's gonna keep on happening. Just like in the books, no one's gonna care.

budwhite and dkmonroe like this.
  21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, I'm not too impressed by this "Heroes are going to DIE!" talk. We all know that Humpty Dumpty gets put back together again in Part II.

22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Who has the two biggest egos in Dc and Marvel? Two of the heroes with the least reason to have egos - Aquaman and Sub Mariner (who even talks about himself in the 3rd person, a sure sign of pyschosis.) A movie about those two would be funny (intentionally or otherwise). I'm sure they have very different opinions on Lobster Traps, Algae, seahorses, wave vectors, gene transfer by transduction in the marine environment, whatever...

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Hoping it's Hawkeye.

Trailers that repeatedly fade to black are my least favorite kinds of trailers.

On a side note- can't they put a little more pizzazz into the Falcon's costume? Do we even call that a costume? Sunglasses and mechanical wings. Big whoop. He could be so much cooler if they'd spice him up a little.

[​IMG]

24. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I agree. Maybe not until Avengers 4 next year, though. I think his character arc has been leading towards noble sacrifice for some time (whereas I think Tony's arc is leading towards retirement). My favorite scenario would be for Bucky to become the next Captain America. That would hook me for another round of films.

Trailer got me excited again. I have much faith in the Russo Brothers. Winter Soldier and Civil War are both excellent. They know how to do this right.

PTgraphics and BeatleJWOL like this.
  25. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

This is the one thing that irritates me. Do something awesome and release parts 1 and 2 together or 2 or 3 weeks apart.

boyo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.