Avengers: Infinity War

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

I agree with your points, but I'm gonna see it anyway. The trailer looks great. Hell, I'd go just because I want to see what a $500 million film looks like.

wayneklein, daglesj and vince like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The delay kills the momentum.

3. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

How much of this went to the actors, do we know?

4. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

This seems to be the era of the star-studded combined super-hero-movies with ''deep'' backgrounds and worlds/universes on the brink of destruction. That with the odd cynical remark. It's like these disaster-movies from the '70s; the more stars, the better.
    The Marvel-series is changing into some sort of very expensive soap-series. And in my memory all these digital effects, half-baked story lines form one long movie with green monsters, flying shields, hammers and a frowning Scarlett Johansson in nice outfits.

budwhite likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

$100 million as a guarantee to Downey alone, then another $100 million to the next 10 or 11 actors. And I'm guessing $50 million to the writers, directors, and producers. Then what's left went to physical production: locations, transportation, props, sets, camera, sound, then post: dailies, editing, VFX, the sound mix, final color, and release. I wouldn't be surprised if the VFX alone were north of $50M.

Mercury News - Robert Downey Jr. could make HOW much for next 'Avengers' movie?

UK Independent - Avengers: Infinity War could be the most expensive film ever made

Veech likes this.
  6. alexpop

No denying his acting chops, but a 100 million just for Robert Downey Jr/Iron Man, crazy fee. Is he really the selling power I'm sure Thor & Black Panther have a eclipsed him as a solo feature main attraction at the box office?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

He had a crazy good agent that wrote in what appeared to be unattainable bonuses and one-way options into the first contract. Marvel/Disney didn't make that mistake with subsequent signings.

Vidiot and alexpop like this.
  8. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

And his agent gets what, 20%? 25%?

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think that's exactly what's happened. Downey's wife Susan is very actively involved in the business of his career, and I have no doubt she was part of the team that negotiated those fees and percentages. And even the team that looks ahead a few years and determines which projects Team Downey should do, and which projects on which they should pass.

Some info on Tom Cruise's deal came out in a lawsuit about 10 years ago, and it turned out that once you get into the stratosphere of Hollywoo stardom, the smart actors pay their agents, attorneys, and managers only a fixed fee. Clearly, getting 10% of a guy who makes $10 million a year is not as good as getting paid $5 million for Tom Cruise, who might make $100 million a year. I'm told Cruise himself is very actively involved in making those decisions.

I think this style of doing business has spread to a lot of the movie stars at the top of the showbidness pyramid, and Downey's no doubt up there as well. Even with agents, managers, lawyers, and accountants, I'm sure they're glad to get paid whatever they get. A lot of this is detailed in last year's best-seller Powerhouse: The Untold Story of Hollywood's Creative Artists Agency, which goes into extraordinary detail as to how all this stuff works.

Veech likes this.
  10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Hence my post. Civil War was the most tedious film I've seen in years for the reasons I stated.

This will be even worse I imagine.

11. alexpop

Prefered Winter Soldier.

12. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Me too but I will say I think Civil War would've been better without the fan-service airport scene. It really added nothing to the story and was exactly the kind of gimmick you'd see in a, well, comic book. Winter Soldier raised the game but Civil War kind of backpedaled a bit. I do like it though. The scenes that work work well and the Russos have a knack for this stuff.

budwhite likes this.
  13. alexpop

A bit to silly for my liking Ant Man, Spider Man. Silly good? Thor.Ragnarok

14. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

15. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tickets sold out for next Thursday and Friday. Nearly all Saturday slots sold out as well, so I had to buy mine for the extra showing at noon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I noticed that Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye has been absent from all the promotion for the movie. Not in any of the posters and barely in one of the early trailers.

I am wondering if he will die or if another rumor is true that he could be in it using a secret alias for Hawkeye?

17. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

They have some sort of plan for Hawkeye, but they have been awfully secretive about it. The Russos said in an interview that they haven't forgotten about Hawkeye, and they made note of the fact that Jeremy Renner has twice been nominated for an Oscar.

18. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I'm behind on these Marvel movies, but f it, I'm going to see this. I just want to be entertained!

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Tellyawhat, those posters are surprisingly bland and lackluster! I get that they line up to form one larger image but....<"yawn">

20. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Too way too busy .. Lord Of Rings.. 5 with superheros..
    Dead Pool yes , this no way.

21. alexpop

Bit of a clutter ..but I'm not going to miss this array of superheros. Dang if only MaRvel had contacted D.C. to borrow Superman,he would have no trouble sorting out this Thanos fellow. :)

22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

More like "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, MARVEL World"!
    I'll be looking for a giant 'W' somewhere in the background!

Mirrorblade.1 likes this.
  23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Superheroes in Westworld?

[​IMG]

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

@3:38

25. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just saw an article where they're saying they decided to 'bring the funny', a conscious decision to amp up the humor! I guess the kids will love it. I know there's a lot of fans of Thor: Ragnarok but I didn't care for it. For me, it's strike one against this movie.

neo123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.