AVR Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wildgift, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about... Thread Starter

Wow, where may I ask?

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

3. Wildgift

4. shokhead

An authorized Denon refub seller yes. Never had a problem with any that I bought.

5. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Forum Resident

I picked up a Marantz sr6015 at accessories4less last year, and think it's great. It was flawless upon arrival, and still is. It's also at the bottom of your price point.

gd0 and bdfin like this.
  6. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

- I try not to mess around with AVRs though i've tried the Pioneer and Denon higher end AVRs. I try to apply the ethos that power amp sections can't be in the same chassis sharing the power supply as the integrated source unit (streamer/dac/dsp modules/preamp sections) in a multichannel rig. Hence, i only exclusively try out prepros and power amp separates on multichannel rigs anymore.

- Typically, the best implementation of integrated source components occurs in a flagship level prepro. So, that's my point of reference these days.

The prepros i've experimented with are Yamaha, Marantz, Storm & Trinnov. I really liked the Trinnov, but, i don't need that level of complexity that a Trinnov offers (my rig is simpler in comparison and that Trinnov is not for the faint of heart). I could not get the Storm to not sound processed/very "digital" (ugh). I stated my grievances with Dirac earlier (started tinkering with it even back in the days with minidsp). I personally like the YPAO implementation on my Yamaha prepro. It is misunderstood because there is a YPAO lite (very limited and offered on the lower end models and avrs) and the flagship YPAO that is offered on the prepro (very different software "internally"). The RSC filters it uses are not heavy handed. It implies that you would pay the same attention to placement and treatments like you would in a 2 channel rig. Yamaha does a very poor job at getting the words out of the engineer's mouth and putting it on paper. Eitherway, it is not for the entry level user and not that user friendly, i.e., not a run cal and be done type of scenario (to be fair, most prepros are produced with professional system integrators in mind, i.e. not casual users). It has a very robust manual PEQ offering and user adjustable settings for adjusting the soundfield to your tastes, i.e. great results can be obtained by an advanced user. The latter is not offered by any other manufacturers in the price bracket (only non-adjustable presets). In the end, the execution for me was better with that ypao. Could it be made better? (i've done my fair share of complaining) It probably could and i'm waiting to see what the upcoming Rev will bring.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  7. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Another Accessories4Less fan. My Yamaha AVR looked brand new, with all the stock extras. No issues with it, at all...!

shokhead likes this.
  8. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

The x015 AVRs are EOL. I ordered an SR6015 for a customer a few weeks back and the distributor couldn't supply it - gave me an SR7015 instead, which my customer was very happy with!

9. Stryker10

Stryker10 Well-Known Member

10. Stryker10

Stryker10 Well-Known Member

Sorry. Anthem Arc is quite impressive!

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If you want the Marantz/Denon 3-input HDMI switcher, I recommend getting one ASAP. This feels like something with limited stock, that will be useful for many applications, for many years to come.

I own the Marantz version (VS-3003) and it has worked flawlessly in combination with my Marantz AV-8805A to switch a few 4K120 sources I have.

Wildgift likes this.
  12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

We've had good results with Audyssey XT32 (using the App to turn off their silly midrange dip!), and now with ARC Genesis. Denon is easier to set up, gee Anthem why the #$&* do I have to make a Google Home account just to set up the bloody WiFi?!?! And then the spare iPad was too old and and and. The end result for either is bass sweeps are audibly much flattened, especially the front right Focal 936 which is unavoidably in a corner. As for the other main competitor call us "Dirac-curious" as we've never used that.

shokhead and Wildgift like this.
  13. Wildgift

Glad to hear. Waiting for the 4700h!!

shokhead likes this.
  14. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Thanks for the info, but what does "EOL" mean - End of Life?

Anyway, Music Direct's site claims to have the SR5015 in stock.

15. shokhead

has the 5015 for $799

16. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

17. dougotte

I was getting ready to purchase an SR5015 from them (it's now down to $699 for a refurb with warranty!), but it appears that only one HDMI input supports 4k. The manual is not entirely clear. Here's a quote from page 8:
    "One dedicated 8K HDMI input to support 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz passthrough capability, 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, Dolby Vision, HLG, HDR10, 21:9 video, 3D and BT.2020 pass-through and HDCP 2.3, the latest in copy protection standards, are supported on all HDMI inputs". I would like two 4k inputs. Am I reading this correctly? The punctuation is vague, mashing together two sentences, I think. Maybe I need to splurge for a new Cinema 60, currently at $949, instead.

18. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I definitely think you are misreading it. I think only one input is 8K. I assume the rest are 4K capable. What does the Marantz website say when you look at the full specs?

19. dougotte

Edit: I found a dealer video comparing the two models. In a closeup of the rear inputs, the 5015 specifically reads "HDMI IN 4K/HDCP2.3 over the first 5 inputs, then the 6th one specifically reads "8K IN".

I also realized I could have viewed he rear inputs on the accessories4less site, and that image confirmed the same thing.

Sorry for the alarmist question.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  20. shokhead

[​IMG]

dougotte likes this.
  21. shokhead

[​IMG]

dougotte likes this.
  22. shokhead

23. dougotte

I ordered the SR5015 from accessoriesforless on the night of 7/20, it was shipped 7/21, and it arrived yesterday morning (7/23). Set up was easier than my old SR7002, and I love it so far. It's a refurbished unit, but other than an inch of silver trim worn off one edge of the remote, it appears brand new.

The display window is tiny and nearly impossible to read from my seat around 12 feet away, but on the other hand it's not at all distracting during nighttime viewing.

I do miss the display showing the audio content being received (5.1, 4.0 etc.) but it's a minor issue.

Thanks for your recommendation, shokhead!

shokhead likes this.
  24. shokhead

No on screen on tv?
    Excellent service and ship fast and very well packed and did you get a 3 or 5 year warr?

25. dougotte

They gave me a 3 year warranty.

And, I just realized that the AVR's Info button shows the audio input/output followed by the video input/output on the next screen. So, please scratch that complaint.

I forgot to mention an initial problem that had me cursing last night. After setting everything up, I started playing an AppleTV+ show. The audio keep cutting out for a brief second every few seconds. I thought I had bought a defective unit. Then, I realized the AppleTV was set to output Dolby Atmos, but I had set up the AVR without Atmos. As soon as I turned off Atmos on the AppleTV, all was good.

shokhead likes this.