B&W or Genelec subwoofer for Genelec speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ronin13, Apr 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronin13

Ronin13 New Member Thread Starter

I've had a set of Genelec G One (specs here: G One - Genelec.com ) as my PC speakers for some years now, and while they're quite nice on their own for this purpose, I'm considering adding a (small) sub.

Now, the most obvious solution might be the Genelec F One, but since it got upgraded from the A to the B model last year, its new price has put it out of budget - where I am, the A model cost about $650 when it was available, the B model is up to $940).

(Of course, if anyone knows of a European source that still sells the A series model, I'd love to hear about it - specs here: F One (A) - Genelec.com .)

So the two alternatives I've come to are the Bowers & Wilkins ASW608, which seems to be rather well reviewed (specs here: ASW608 Subwoofer | Bowers & Wilkins ) - uncharacteristically, I can actually get that here at the same price as on B&Ws site, so $500.

Or another Genelec, the 7040A (specs here: 7040A - Genelec.com ). My cost would be about $660 for this.

Now, which of those two would you go with and why?

And a n00b sub question: Will a Genelec sub pair better with my Genelec speakers? If I'm not mistaken, Genelec lets you hook up their speakers directly to the sub, letting it take on bass duties while allowing the speakers to focus on the treble and mid range. Is a similar hook up possible with the B&W? Does it matter?

2. Ronin13

Looks like this got buried in the moderation queue, so just a humble bump to see if anyone have any ideas...

3. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Don't take this the wrong way, but it looks to me like you're planning to swat a fly with a dump truck.

Ignoring the bottom line question as to whether Genelec has some special tricks up its sleeve to allow its subs to hook up easily with its speakers, in one instance (B&W) you're looking to pair a relatively great big (read overkill) sub with your tiny desktop PC speakers, and in all instances you are talking prices that are far far higher than what I would call reasonable for this application.

But hey, if you're itching to spend money go for it. Someone's gotta stimulate the economy nowadays!

Me? I'd be looking for a used long-discontinued Yamaha YST-SW105, or equivalent. I own two. Paid nothing for one, and $20 CDN for the other. They seem a bit pricier over your way. Here's one in European spec going for 80 Euros. One of mine I used to use as you are planning: under my desk with desktop speakers on top. It worked absolutely great in that application. The other one is currently in the rafters of my garage, paired to some Realistic Minimus-7s. Another very good pairing.

I'm suggesting the Yamaha because I think it would suit your needs (again ignoring the Genelec-specific question) and also as an example of the size and cost of what I think you should be looking for.

Good luck.

Jeff

ps. I once visited Copenhagen on business, and stayed some extra days for fun. Loved the city and its people. One of the stories in my book was inspired by that trip, and my going for a swim at the pool that's directly on a river/canal. I was staying out at the Hilton by the airport but it was super-easy to catch the LRT to the city core every night and I spent most evenings at a smoke-filled jazz bar listening to the locals jam.

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I used two of those subwoofers with a pair of Nautilus 805 speakers I used to have. Great little subs.

5. Ronin13

I assume you mean the B&W sub and not the Genelec sub? Taking a guess, do you think the B&W would be harder to integrate with the small Genelec speakers, than the (build for these speakers) Genelec sub?

Glad to hear about your positive experiences in Cph!

On budget, I hear what you're saying, but I don't feel that a $600 sub is such an outrageous pairing with an $800 set of speakers? Also, I'd rather get the right one from the beginning, instead of spending say $250 now and then get the urge to upgrade in a year or two (as long as I can get that with a budget of about $650).

But I get the feeling that you also mean that especially the B&W sub would be sonic overkill with these speakers? This would leave the Genelec as the better choice, as it's actually build to be paired with the speakers I have (of course, I did like the price of the B&W more).

6. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

7. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Understood.

I wasn't concerned with "sonic overkill" and am sorry if I gave that impression. I think my personal philosophy is, and probably always has been, to get the highest quality (sonics) for the lowest possible price, and to aim to choose the sonically-superior option where prices are equal, but be prepared to trade some sonic quality where a much lower priced option is available. But again that's my own individual "formula" for answering the questions that you posed.

Perhaps all I'm doing is applying an "80/20" rule of sorts. Deciding at what point beyond which it does not make sense to proceed further.

That's why I suggested the Yamaha YST sub (as an example of capability / cost.)

Others might have 70/30, or 90/10 rules. And it might also be very situation-dependent.

As to the B&W sub, and assuming that the price is entirely acceptable to you (which I'm sure it is), it seems to be the best choice (sonically) of the bunch, and likewise the best choice given its price. But a caveat: while I have first-hand knowledge of B&W subs (I own and continue to use an older ASW 1000) I have none for Genelec products, and I am making assumptions as to sonic performance based solely on the linked information that you provided (which to be honest, shows the Genelec subs to be inferior performers at way too high a price.) Unless, as I said, there's some feature(s) that make them a perfect fit with your existing speakers, I would give them a hard pass.

All the best.

Jeff

8. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

I use a pair of 8010A's with my computer, which are a balanced version of the G1. I don't think you can use the 7040 with your speakers because that sub has a balanced (XLR) connection.

BTW, how do you connect your G1's to your PC?

9. Ronin13

Thanks, enquiry send!

Thanks, especially for taking the time to compare the specs of the two subs - interesting stuff there.

The G Ones are connected via their RCA Analog Input to my soundcard's mini jack out (in between I have the wired volume control 9000A 9000A Stereo Volume Controller - Genelec.com ).

I was hoping that a 7040A sub would hook up to the G Ones as easily as to a pair of 8010As (which I know is their natural pairing), but I may well be wrong. Comparing the specs between the two Genelec subs now: the XLR inputs and outputs on the 7040A means that it would be incompatible with the RCA inputs on the G Ones?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  10. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

Ok, I was asking about your connection because with the new sub you can connect digitally, which in some cases is a nice feature.

11. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

The 7000 series subwoofers are a work of art, they would be my choice for any brand of speakers. Email Genelec, maybe they know a retailer with an F One. Also ask them what they believe it's the best connection for your speakers with a subwoofer.

12. Ronin13

Thanks, I actually just e-mailed Genelec about whether the 7040A can be hooked up to my speakers, or if they know of a retailer that still has the F One (A). When they reply, I'll pose the last question you suggest here.

13. roxy17

roxy17 Well-Known Member

Was there any reply? Pls let as know about.

14. Ronin13

I wasn't able to find the older F One (A) model.

The 7040A could rather easily be connected to my G Ones. I actually bought it, but ended up returning it, as it didn't integrate as well as I had hoped. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

15. roxy17

roxy17 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your answer,
    i also own 8010 which seem to be close to your G Ones. Even though i like the sound i get and i don't need now more bass, maybe in the future. So as 7040A recommended to be the right sub for 8010 (and G ones) , i was wondering if it worth investing. Is it easy to explain why you didn't like 7040A? Did you find any better adequate solution?
    Thank you again
    Spiros

16. harby

harby Forum Resident

Any active subwoofer including electronic crossover with high-pass output can be used. The audio connection goes from the PC sound interface to the subwoofer and from there to the powered desktop speakers. The B&W subwoofer does not have an output to the satellites.

Here, the Genelec satellites have only an RCA in, but that doesn't mean you can't use a XLR->RCA cable or even 1/4"->RCA cable between the subwoofer and satellites.

The Genelec studio subs can be used (in fact I would go for the 8" model for reasonable bass extension), but Genelec charges a ridiculous price premium on fancy packaging and amp around a $200 Peerless driver. Yamaha HS8S should be available globally, and also is designed to match with studio monitoring satellites.

The "integrate" failure is likely too much mid-bass audio missing in the transition between tiny monitors and a 85Hz sub.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

This is what you need @Ronin13 - which it doesn't appear your Genelecs have. The highpass cuts out the lowest lows which otherwise strain the little woofers. Now, if you just want to add some fullness, the crying out to the sky best bargain is
    Monoprice 12in 150-Watt Powered Subwoofer, Black - Monoprice.com
    and maybe they have smaller ones if it is literally under your desk. Not gonna break the windows, but filled in the bass below my brother's 8" in-walls really nicely throughout his large open plan space.

18. Ronin13

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. (Just to be clear, I made this thread more than ½ a year ago, and am not looking to add a sub anymore, after trying the Genelec 7040 out. I just came back here to answer roxy17's questions. But of course, your ideas may be of help to others!)

Yes, I do believe that the 7040A is the (by Genelec) recommended sub for 8010 (their smallest sub from that line and their smallest speakers, IIRC) - like the F One is recommended for the G Ones. And since those speakers are nearly identical, you can swap one sub for the other. Actually, the cheaper 7040A seems to be the better performer.

Now, as to why I didn't keep it: Saying it didn't integrate well, may have been a little misleading. After setting it up and finding a for me low enough bass output (I don't want to antagonise my neighbours more than necessary), I could actually get the set up to play extremely well - at certain sound levels and with certain material.

Now, these small Genelec speakers are already quite sensitive to the material you feed them, but it seemed they became even more so with the sub: Some things really sounded amazing (and a very satisfying step up in sound due to the sub), while other things either became too boomy or sounded like no sub had been added (though fiddling with the bass setting or the volume could usually fix this).

On top of this slightly annoying inconsistency, to really get the best sound, I had to crank the volume quite a bit, which especially with a sub isn't really compatible with apartment living, I feel.

So since this was for 'only' a PC speaker set-up, in the end the investment wasn't really worth it, to me.

roxy17 likes this.
  19. roxy17

roxy17 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your response! Well noted, in case i am going to buy sub in the future. Right now, as i have all ready mentioned, i am not looking for sub, but this talk was really very helpful!
    Have to say that i also use 8010 with laptop only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.